ABW Ambassador
    ..what would you not do? In other words, what has been you worst mistake?

Maybe dumped to much money into PPCs or useless banners, maybe you tried to spam the SEs and got banned, maybe you tried to sell something that's really saturated already...

My mistake was to use another affiliates sites layout as a template, what was yours?

Javi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have not been doing this for long, but my mistake was to spend to much time (3-4 months)building a content site. It's better to get some pages up and running fast, then go from there.

The content site has paid off, and is awaiting a dmoz listing, but it's not wise to put all your efforts into one basket, that goes for both beginners and longtime warriors.

btw, Javi we have already forgotten about your little mistake, please don't continue to remind us about it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

I would've started about ten years earlier trying to make money, I actually had my content site during the big goom, if someone would've told me they money I could be making....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would've started about ten years earlier trying to make money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You and me both. I wish I knew what I know now back in 1998 or even 2001.

-------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Web Hosting Solutions

Yes, no major huge mistakes, but if I had the websites I have now before the Internet stock market crash, could have sold the sites for millions at super-inflated prices. Now have to depend on affiliate income. Probably the same for all of us.

Find out how much top affiliates are making at http://www.profitpuppy.com/top-affiliates.htm

In my opinion the biggest mistake I've made is deleting webpages instead of just changing their content.

I get more traffic to 404's than you can shake a stick at.

I would say that I wish I could have finished all of the sites that I started and got bored of and threw away.

Logan Thompson
    Marketing/Affiliate Manager
    123 Christian Affiliate Program

I would have started earlier, before the .com bust hit. I had a site idea, knew what I wanted to do with it, but didn't start building the site until the Summer of 2000, when things were beginning to slow down.

If I'd been a few years earlier, I think I would have been better off than I am now. But, I'm just guessing, maybe things would be worse.

I just remember how much some of the popular sites made on banner ads. Big bucks, even if the ads didn't sell much! Who knew?

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Anyone go on a domain registration frenzy?

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    If I had to start over again, I would have built a content site for an anchor first, then I would not have procrastinated so much and built faster and been better organized.

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wouldn't have signed up at LS! Nor would I have left links up for any merchant, anywhere, that was late in paying. Ones that were only a little late could have their links back up, AFTER the check cashed.

Opposite of JustDoIt, I wouldn't have bothered with a content site until I had the Revenue Sites fully running.

I would have learned wtf to do with a datafeed, sooner!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Would have value on data from day 1 ...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I should have tripled my charges for building sites for clients so they'd appreciate the EXTRA efforts and maintained them.

Intergrated good performing merchants with individual product databases into a customized shopping cart program. Then sued the first parasite/preditor who tried to interlope within a secure shopping cart restricted area.

Wished I dropped over 300 bellyup merchants, rather than pray I reach minimums or I'd ever get paid by them since they were headed to Pud's hall of Shame.

I sure wish I'd have sent off a scathing letter to every merchant who didn't show one sale in 1000 clicks or over a 2 year drain on my sites traffic. Now I'll pull every damn link to them first and charge them a re-entry fee of 100.00 payable upfront to put them back into my merchant pool.

Wish I'd have spent the thousands of hours posting on the various boards, trying to cure obvious industry ills, building mini themed shopping sites and CyberMall new pages.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

I wish I knew what I knew now when I started [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] I started with a content site and maintained it for a year. Things were slow and TG I found out about CJ forums and things started kicking.

Second mistake was I started another content site a few months back. It's gone now, wasted prolly a month's time.

In this industry, I learned that time is very precious. Even if there is 24 hours a day, never seems like to have enough time to do things. Even with only 2-3 hrs a day, I learned to use my time efficiently. This is the one of the most important thing I learned Keep on doing things that is working and stop doing what is not. Applies to everything, from site design, choosing merchants, search engine strategies, etc.

wish i found ABW sooner [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

I wouldn't have named my website beginning
    with an "S".

I would have named it with an "A" or a #.
    Gets better rankings that way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I would have started up a couple of contentsites that did not need constant updating. Something that would get into zeal and dmoz, but not require a lot of upkeep.

THEN I would have started on related niche sites, and promoted those.

"The internet is an audience of one, a million times over." -Peter Guber

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wly:
    _Keep on doing things that is working and stop doing what is not._ Applies to everything, from site design, choosing merchants, search engine strategies, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also applies to IRF. Be happy, don't let anybody bring you down!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wly:

In this industry, I learned that time is very precious. Even if there is 24 hours a day, never seems like to have enough time to do things. Even with only 2-3 hrs a day, I learned to use my time efficiently. This is the one of the most important thing I learned<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, this is very important. Even though AM has evolved during the past few years, still to much has to be done the "time-burning" way.

I spent a great deal of time starting up this year creating easy-to-change templates, using js. Now I can change the colors, layout, menus, side banners and even my "inside content" affiliate links, in 10 minutes - on all my pages across a domain. And I can quickly put together a nice-looking, but simple, new site in less than an hour (not including content).

Having the right tools are also important, I hardcode with TextPad, use File Substring Replacement Utility from Gamadyne for easy searching and replacement of text strings (though Search and Replace from funduc.com is better for advanced coders). Another useful tool is Flash Renamer for making changes in filenames across multiple subdirectories. Great if you want to change your filenames from keyword1_keyword2 to keyword1-keyword2 in one single operation.

Another advice about time-saving worth mentioning again, is don't be afraid to hire people to help you out. Elbowcreek told us about how he hired freelance writers at elancer.com to create unique content. One of the best advices of the year, IMO.

-- Less is more --

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread