More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Value of the Single Merchant Datafeed Site?
    I am thinking there it is futile to spend time on a single-merchant data feed site.

I bring this up because I found a really nice merchant/feed/program but am thinking it would be more or less a waste of time to (attempt to) replicate what the merchant is doing with my one-man-band.

One could use PPC I know. I have had some limited success with this type of site in the past - but only at key times of the year and the repeat traffic has been next to nothing.

Anybody have success with a single merchant site? No need for specifics.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

What can you do that the merchant doesn't? That's the key to value.

If you're able to organize things in a way that makes it easier for customers to find what they want, it could be valuable and successful. I know of a couple sites based around Amazon.com that help people find deals (although these sites may be dead based on Amazon.com's recent restrictions). I know of other single-merchant affiliate sites that do well, but they're pretty rare.

An example of something that might be useful: If a shoe merchant has a really poorly organized site, I think it could be useful for an affiliate site to filter products based on shoe size, style, color, etc.

With any "one merchant" sites, though, keep in mind that you're at the mercy of the merchant. If they terminate you, go out of business, lower their commissions, or replicate the functions you provide directly, you're out of luck.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    One merchant niche sites are fine. I always ensure that any niche has at least more than one merchant and if there's a problem I just switch feeds. If you have more than one resellers account so that you have multiple ip's then interlinking them without penalty seems to work nicely.

The drawback with single merchant sites as stated is that the program could lower commission or just cease but a little research to find alternatives isn't hard and changing the datafeed takes just a few minutes at most.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    To add to what Michael is saying about "Value"

Other throughts are:
    -If you have the shoe, do a review about it.
    -Forums (time consuming over a long time)
    -newsletters

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Anybody have success with a single merchant site? No need for specifics.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    am thinking it would be more or less a waste of time to (attempt to) replicate what the merchant is doing with my one-man-band.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    What can you do that the merchant doesn't? That's the key to value.
    Yep, don't copy the merchant, do something different that serves the consumer.

Forums and reviews are in line with that, but are so common, and time consuming, I'd suggest something different. Build something useful that's tool-like. Utilitarian. It doesn't have to be the sistine chapel, but it needs to aid (or at least interest) the consumer.

Tell me the niche (or make one up) and we can brainstorm together here.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    With any "one merchant" sites, though, keep in mind that you're at the mercy of the merchant. If they terminate you, go out of business, lower their commissions, or replicate the functions you provide directly, you're out of luck.
    Wise advice from Coley, again. But diversify your business overall and you can absorb risks like having a single merchant site. But betting your total income on just one site with just one merchant, would be a mistake.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread