Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What Affiliates need to learn about the iPhone
    Besides the great marketing and stock play, the iphone with a projected 10MM userbase will be surfing with their iphone and as such we should all:

1. Optimize our sites for safari (it's the official browser).
    2. Since the URL screen has a .com shortcut button I would assume apple is saying that all other TLDs (even .mobi) would be secondary.
    3. YouTube is fully integrated into the unit so I think affiliates should learn and incorporate videomercials and other affiliate link embeded video media.
    4. ?

So please lets add to this list, I don't think it behoove us to completely ignore 10MM users.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Is there a Safari validator ?

I know there has been talk of this for years now, that this will be the future for a lot of us. It really hit home when I heard a LinkShare VP give a presentation at Affiliate Summit in Vegas earlier this year. I realized then it is would only be a time and all we are waiting on is the technology. I believe that time is upon us now. Perhaps we need a new section here at ABW just to address that technology?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Is there a Safari validator ?
    http://zappatic.net/safaritidy/ Safari 3 is still BETA as is the browser.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Ron,

Are you referring to the mobile market specifically?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I'm glad that Safari will be moving into the mainstream. I can't tell you how many times I hit broken pages because no one has thought to check Safari compatibility.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I installed safari the other day, and surprisingly my site works as good as ie or firefox

There aren't many differences, especially between firefox and Safari, but every once in a while you get a careless webmaster...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Iphone doesnt do java - Just for that reason I will never buy any apple product ever again
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Ron,

Yes.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Iphone doesnt do java - Just for that reason I will never buy any apple product ever again
    I don't even use any sites that use Java. Do you mean Javascript? Iphone would have to support js.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Besides the great marketing and stock play, the iphone with a projected 10MM userbase will be surfing with their iphone and as such we should all:

1. Optimize our sites for safari (it's the official browser).
    Any suggestions on how to do this? Tutorials? I haven't used Safari.
    2. Since the URL screen has a .com shortcut button ...
    Yay, I have a .com domain

3. YouTube is fully integrated into the unit so I think affiliates should learn and incorporate videomercials and other affiliate link embeded video media.
    Are you suggesting affiliates create their own infomercials?

I'm happy to incorporate a merchant's video made available to affiliates.

There are great videos on YouTube, but I wouldn't use any on my site without very clear copyright clearance.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

How does the iphone handle cookies?

I'm interested to see how things play out with regards to commerce. Will we see Visa partnering with carriers to allow phone surfers to essentially charge purchases to their Visa Phone Bill (tm)? While I can see a huge number of potential shoppers riding commuter trains to work and surfing on their phones, I can't see that many whipping out their credit cards on a crowded subway car.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Ron,

Not a bad idea to begin recognizing and discussing the [very near] future potential of this means of accessing the Internet. I have begun some specific .mobi development and, shortly after my return from Affiliate Summit, will try a weekend of Airplane Banner Advertising over our beach resort town to see how many people actually log on. No one on the beach has a laptop with them, but just about everyone has a cell phone.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I don't even use any sites that use Java. Do you mean Javascript? Iphone would have to support js.

- Scott
    I don't think I use any Java-necessary sites, either. The message I get from the lack of Java and Flash support is that Apple feels Ajax is enough for dynamic applications (although they are doing something (?) for YouTube support).

So, out with the Flash and Java, and in with Ajax, which is fine with me.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    So, out with the Flash ... and in with Ajax, which is fine with me.
    -John.
    What about this quote about the future developments of Flash?
    Flash seems to be keeping up with the times.
    Isn't the ability to work with Flash still an important skill for webmasters?
    The important new development in Flash is its increasing use in providing the presentation layer in handheld devices. Adobe is aggressively courting cell phone and PDA vendors, and partnering to deploy Flash Lite as the user interface.
    [source]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Isn't the ability to work with Flash still an important skill for webmasters?
    I've never used it, and done fine anyway, so as far as I'm concerned it's got 0 importance, at least for selling stuff.

Adobe is aggressively courting cell phone and PDA vendors, and partnering to deploy Flash Lite as the user interface.
    Hopefully they will NOT be successful at making that a standard interface! I don't want to have to chop through learning some new thing like that, just to get my site seen on handhelds. Sounds like unnecessary hash.

They are touting the iPhone as having a full version of Safari, not some watered down web browser, so I would assume cookies would be included. Of course, assumptions tend to be bad...

As for Rhia7's question on how to test sites in Safari. Two options. One, download the Safari 3 beta from Apple (now available on PC!) at http://www.apple.com/safari/

Or, use www.browsershots.org to test your website in all kinds of browsers!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    They are touting the iPhone as having a full version of Safari, not some watered down web browser, so I would assume cookies would be included. Of course, assumptions tend to be bad...
    That also assumes a hard drive or something to store the cookies. That's more what I was wondering about. No idea what the specs are...
    Eathan Mertz

Jason, thanks for the site testing links
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

There definitely is a hard drive, the thing is an ipod, and is available in 4GB or 8GB options. But you're right, best not to assume. Hopefully Haiko can do some tracking testing on his brand-new phone tomorrow!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    There definitely is a hard drive, the thing is an ipod, and is available in 4GB or 8GB options. But you're right, best not to assume. Hopefully Haiko can do some tracking testing on his brand-new phone tomorrow!
    See how little I know about modern gadgetry...?

I burned out on phones a couple years ago, so haven't paid much attention to the new tech. My cell usage went from 3500+ minutes a month to like 30.

I meant to thank you for that link as well. Thanks! Have me some testing to do...
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    I'm interested to see how things play out with regards to commerce. Will we see Visa partnering with carriers to allow phone surfers to essentially charge purchases to their Visa Phone Bill (tm)? While I can see a huge number of potential shoppers riding commuter trains to work and surfing on their phones, I can't see that many whipping out their credit cards on a crowded subway car.
    The thing is linked to iTunes w/your apple ID, so there is purchasing power behind that. And if it's a full version of safari, I'm sure it will be compatible with Paypal and G-Buy.

The message I get from the lack of Java and Flash support
    They are touting the iPhone as having a full version of Safari, not some watered down web browser
    Am I missing something here? How can it have a full version of Safari and not support Flash?

Now I understand that Flash is a plugin that's dependent upon the browser and the OS, but how can you market the thing as accessing the full web and not a limited version of it given that there are websites are incorporating technology that your device won't support?
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

YouTube is a seperateWidget, the browser doesn't support flash, javascript or anything so putting video on your site is pointless.

As to why it does't support flash etc. Trying to keep bandwidth use down is m guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast