Manage Affiliate Links
    We have approx. 50 affiliate links we work with in our company. We are about to do revenue sharing with 10 companies that don't want to mess with the affilate links but want us to manage them and only give them a portion of the profits. My question is this: With companies like CJ, LinkShare, are we able to have a different coded affiliate links for each of our affiliate companies. Meaning..Walmart is one company can we code the Walmart link 10 different ways so we know which of our 10 companies bought something through Walmart? Will CJ allow this so we can track which of our groups get what? If so will CJ gives us a separate report and also separate funding so it is easy to disperse the revenue?
    Last edited by fundoan; June 27th, 2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

Most networks offer tracking parameters that you could use for this:

LinkShare: u1
    CJ: SID
    ShareASale: afftrack
    Performics: MID

You don't get separate funding, but you can use reporting to see which ID sales came from.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Ease of management
    Thanks for reply.

If we are dealing with many different clients as a middleman by managing affiliates and giving them a cut.
    How easy is it to sort which group bought where?
    Or do they offer a report per group or is it in order of purchase...how is it organized?
    Meaning how easy is it to do proper bookkeeping?
    Does it list what the commission is at each line item and we have to add them all up manually?
    Or does it list anywhere what the commission of the group is over a period of time?
    Lastly..what is the procedure to add new coded links for a whole new client that wants to use or 100 affiliates?

I appreciate you help in advance. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fundoan
    Meaning how easy is it to do proper bookkeeping?
    Probably not as easy as you'd hope, but not impossible.

Bear in mind you'd be using tools built to manage campaign tracking for a single affiliate, to instead manage a sub-network of affiliates. The tools will do the job, but they weren't built for it, so won't cover all the conveniences you'd like.

You'll have to pull the data, extract the important bits, offer some sort of reporting, stay on top of reversals, pay your affiliates, handle taxes, etc.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Very easy actually
    We do it with CJ, Linkshare and Performics. Just need to append the link with an identifier field. See the fields Michael Coley provided. Very easy to do.

It's very easy to track, but quite difficult to figure out how multiple check and direct deposits from multiple networks break down between the various sources and how to split it up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Is it easier to open a new CJ account for each client?
    Michael,

Why can't we open a new CJ/Link Share Affiliate account for each client then everything is tracked separately..is that allowed to have say 50 separate accounts?

That would certainly work, but you would need to ask each network if they allowed it. I can't imagine the nightmare of keeping track of all that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Would they be your accounts or their accounts managed by you?

I can't say what the policies are at CJ, LS, etc, but if it were my network, I'd prefer 1 account per payee. I mean 50 times the overhead to pay the same partner just doesn't make sense.

50 accounts with 50 different payees wouldn't be a problem, but any one of them could fax over articles of incorporation and a letter on company letterhead asking to change their password and you'd be bumped out of the relationship.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Trying to grasp concept
    At this point all I have is that its easy to track the purchases of each of our 50 clients as we manage our own accounts and give them a share of the profits as they make the affiliate links available to their subscriber list. I want to make this clear that this is our system. We own the accounts... we give them a share because of the exposure they offer to new groups of people that we can't find and who will shop online through our affiliate links.

Let me ask you is...If I have 50 clients we offer our services to. And let's assume each client buys something from Walmart today. I think you're saying we will be able to see very easily individually what each of our 50 clients bought from Walmart today. However, what you're saying as far as commission statements (not funding because we don't care if we get one check we only care that we get separate commission reports) goes is that even though we have 50 separate links with Walmart (because we have 50 separate clients each with a different Walmart affiliate link that we are setting up for ourselves on their behalf) that after each purchase we will be given a line item that shows the purchase. However what you folks I think are saying is that it does NOT "track" the individual commission at this point. So instead of Walmart giving us 50 separate commission statements based upon each of our separate 50 affiliate links (as I thought it would happen) you are saying Walmart is only going to give us one lump sum... say once a month...not separate commission reports based upon each link. If this being the case it would make dispersement of funds a literal nightmare. And I also think you are saying that there is no program out there today that you're aware of that can handle this type of sub-managing of dispering commission easily under the same owner? Is this what your saying? I also realize I may have confiused you with the word "funding" meaning recieving the money into our checking account versus getting separate commission statements. I am just trying to grasp the concept. Thanks again for all your help and insight.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Since Wal Mart goes through Linkshare let me explain how we do it. We append all links with a member field. That way we can track where the sale can from.

Then you can run a Member ID Field Report which will give you the transactions based on that field. You can sort it by the Member ID, export it in Excel and you have the reporting you need to pay each partner what they earn.

Hope that helps.

You can fairly easily see the breakdown of earnings for a period, but the breakdown of the actual payments is a more complicated due to reversals, returns, unpaid earnings, late postings, cutoff times, etc.

If you take the burden of all those things and pay your partners at a set time (like 30 days after the end of the month), whether you get paid or not, you could do it pretty easily by running a single report for each network and adding the numbers together.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Advertiser Account
    Guys thanks for you help. There looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

I just called CJ and they said we can sign up for an Advertisers Account where they claim they can manage this for us. Knowing what you know about our business model will that level of service also include the managing of our payments to our separate clients for us?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread