Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Local flyers posted at Safeway or Albertson's?
    Have any of you tried posting printed flyers at your local grocery store that direct people to your web site?

I wonder if that would be effective... thinking about giving it a try.

Never tried at the grocery store however last fall I did post fliers on university bulletin boards for offers that were specific to college students and had very good results. I plan on doing it again this year.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

As I was running errands yesterday, I saw a van driving along, starting and stopping, with a passenger jumping out every block to plant one of those cheap plastic signs with some advertising message (refinance your home, we buy cars, whatever). Of course, the signs are being placed on both public and private property illegally, and I'm sure that when I drive down the same street today, only one or two out of a dozen will still be there, and by Monday they'll all be gone.

Of course, like spammers, the people who post these signs are not the actual advertiser -- at most, they may control the 800 number listed on the sign. I often wonder if the people who produce the signs require their contractors to sign a document in which they pledge that they will only post the signs after getting the permission of the property owner -- we all know they won't do so, especially given that they are probably paid something like 50 cents per sign posted, but it might be how the advertisers try to evade liability.

Also yesterday, I received another illegal automated telemarketing call from "Best Carpet Cleaning" with a great offer. Of course, there is no such company in my area -- it is a sham that simply sells referrals to local carpet-cleaning companies. I've received at least five calls from this outfit in the past month.

Of course, if your local supermarket or laundromat is one of the few that still provides a public bulletin board for you to post your ad on, it's absolutely legal, unlike either of the scams I just described -- but just as I believe that the two scams I've listed are probably not profitable, I doubt posting flyers will be profitable for you, either.

Look at the ROI potential. How many people do you see actually looking at those boards? What are those people looking for (used car? job? apartment?) Is your offer likely to appeal to anyone who actually looks at the bulletin board? What is your cost to post the flyers? How long will they remain on the bulletin board?

I do recall that posting on bulletin boards was a huge thing when I was in college -- there was a bulletin board in almost every classroom, and nearly every hallway. Back in the days before computers, while I was in college, I earned nice money typing up term papers for other students, and I promoted that service using those bulletin boards. Out of the total time spent on that business, I probably spent about 10% of my time posting notices and 90% typing.

But when I visit college campuses these days, I never see those bulletin boards. Likewise, I rarely see the bulletin boards in grocery stores or other public places, though I suppose that many of them have simply been moved to less prominent places (perhaps near the restrooms or employee break room).

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Have any of you tried posting printed flyers at your local grocery store that direct people to your web site?

I wonder if that would be effective... thinking about giving it a try.
    I was thinking of doing something like that. But a little different. There are some small mom and pop type grocery stores, one a pretty decent size that I shop at every now and then. Was thinking of paying the owner/manager to get the bag boys to stick them in the shopping bags. Not sure how it would turn out but you don't know till you try. Probably not bulletin boards tho. I want something they can take home.

As far as flyers, was also thinking of this. I live in an apt. complex and get a calender each month that they pin by the door. There is a little clamp where they put messages. I've seen a flyer in there every now and then and was thinking of doing that. Thinking of Christmas, have one in the calendar that would go out about the first of the month. I have a coupon/deal site so everybody can make use of it.

Flyers are pretty cheap so I like to think of various ways of using them.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I would think that success with this method would be hard to measure, as you would want to post your shortest, simplest basic url (for customers to easily remember), and not a longer cumbersome url with extra tracking code, unless you prepare the type of flyer with tear-offs with your url, but the time to prepare these (or the cost to have them made) might be prohibitive.

Does anyone (Office Depot, Staples, etc.) sell paper made for this, with perforated tear-offs?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    It is hard to measure with that kind of thing. You could do something like, yoursite.com/insert grocery store

yoursite.com/albertsons and have a welcome page or something. Would have to think about it more.

I did something a couple of years ago with flyers and a dog "carnival". Every year they have this little outdoor event where everybody brings their dogs. Food, music, people clipping dogs nails for $$, dog pool etc. I had one pet merchant send me some goodies to give away for free and with that came a flyer. On that flyer was a url they could go to where there would be a special coupon the merchant made up for me to use. So it was easy to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    It is hard to measure with that kind of thing. You could do something like, yoursite.com/insert grocery store

yoursite.com/albertsons and have a welcome page or something. Would have to think about it more.
    Good idea, except if there are a lot of different grocery chains in your "target" area, you'd have to do separate pages and separate flyers for each. Within a 5 mile radius from where I live, there are one, two, or even three each Albertson's, Vons, Ralphs, Stater Bros., Food-For-Less, Tru-Valu, plus numerous others.

I think it would be more productive putting flyers up at every supermarket in a smaller area, than putting them up at just the stores in one chain, over a considerably larger area.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Offline marketing still works. There was a nice presentation from Sam at affiliate summit about doing local advertising on pizza boxes etc to create a local landing page to your town for coupons etc.

We offer our affilaites phone cards that they can hand out at events that helps drive traffic to there site.

flyer away!

-Brian
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i'm too lazy, i just pay google to hang up little notes for me, on their home page, when someone's looking for what i offer.

sometimes i let google hang them on other people's websites that are related, but i watch that closely cause the targeting isn't as good.

ppc can be "put papers on cars", but i like to go with the other version.

interesting questions about targeting though... if you're handing out flyers for car cleaning and detailing, and don't have enough flyers to go on every car in the mall's parking lots... do you put them on the dirtiest cars or on the cleanest cars? i put them on the clean ones, don't like getting my fingers are dirty and dusty.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PingoPrepaidCallingCards
    There was a nice presentation from Sam at affiliate summit about doing local advertising on pizza boxes etc to create a local landing page to your town for coupons etc.
    Sam? Dang, I've been getting wrong for years.

If you really want to get a response: stand in the parking lot and hand the flyer to people as you EXPLAIN your business to them. Good fashioned "face to face" selling.

Personally, i like pay per click for "targeted" traffic.

I often stand in the hospital parking lot and hand out flyers for my nurses uniform site. I get a few sales a week and a few phone numbers as well

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    As I was running errands yesterday, I saw a van driving along, starting and stopping, with a passenger jumping out every block to plant one of those cheap plastic signs with some advertising message (refinance your home, we buy cars, whatever).
    Following two blocks behind them was the eBates van changing the phone numbers.

I'd think a better response would be via a valpak insert that advertises your site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

When it comes to this sort of thing I always consider the maintenance. Sure, some of these techniques might work but do you really want to make them a habit? Personally I'd much rather stay at home and continue to build useful applications that help shoppers shop more efficiently.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    At the Linkshare Summit, some affiliate said that it worked well with a print ad in papers (not sticking ads in ground, grocery bags, etc) and a national merchant. Pretty well known affiliate but I can't mention names.

During my college yrs, I helped a friend put fliers on cars during thanksgiving. It was not fun, hot and lots of cars with fliers. Target, Circuit City, Ross parking lot. Results: ZIP, ZILCH.
    (Maybe people were too crazy rushing around buying thier XBOX or $10 mountain bike.)

As they say YMMV

Stick with what you do best which is online marketing and stay away from Pay-Per-Car if you do not have the spare money to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I'd think a better response would be via a valpak insert that advertises your site.
    Since this was brought up by the 'boss', I'm going to take the thread a little off topic of the grocery fliers. I've been kicking around doing some 15 second spots on radio or television. Don't think I have enough quality information to do a full 30 second commercial.

Anyone have feedback about TV/Radio spots? Something on a local cable system or cable network? Just a simple mention of your site like "for information about widgets visit us at worldofwidgets.com"

I've read billboards can work for local/regional based marketing, not sure if it is cost effective for a general website or affiliate type marketing.

An 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper works well for printing four little postcard sized flyers and I've started carrying a little stack of them in the car. When shopping, or popping into a convenience store or whatever I can just grab one on the way in to post if they have a board. Can't say it's a big money effort, but it takes 2 seconds to post one and I'm stopping anyway.

I handed a few out last weekend up on one of our local gold bearing streams (I was there anyway) and one woman said "Hey, I think I saw this on TV!" Turned out she saw a similar ad I had placed in one of those little free papers, but offline branding all the same...

All in all, I'm not about to go on a flyer posting road trip, but why waste a marketing opportunity by NOT posting something when stopping anyway?
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

It *depends on what your site is selling* but for some things I have gotten very good results from having business cards printed with a flyer-style design and just casually dropping them on ATM counters, pay phones, etc. while I'm walking around town.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Your URL should be on the back window of your car. A sign company does the vinyl letters for me for about 25.00 They peel right off when you want to change them.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Several months ago I had my cleaning lady (she does odd jobs) hand out fliers in important business districts where I have gone to teach ESL. The fliers were focused on business people and I had specifically asked her to only give them to people who LOOK like it not just anyone leaving the Metro (subway).
    I let her take half (2500) and I said I'd give her 100 pesos per day and said to go out one day and we'd talk and see what happens.
    The next week she came to clean and told me that she'd handed out all of them in two days and supposedly to people who looked like me.. *sigh* I hate wearing suits especially in the metro and in buses, so I go the most casual I can get away with. After asking a few leading questions she admitted to giving my flyer to people with children, dogs, school children, and slipping them under doors, on cars etc. My site was not designed for children, nor for people with dogs. The flyer was designed for business not children taking English classes at school.
    How much of a response did I get? I got a phone call from a woman with young kids who wanted a nanny (she said WOMAN English teacher) and one other general inquiry.
    I think flyers are great if you are selling something that anyone will buy like Pizza, but unless you are the person going out to give the flyers to the appropriate people and talk to them about it, you'll just waste your money. There is nothing like spending the equivalent of $80 to get someone who wants a nanny disguised as a teacher. You'd probably get better results with Adwords than I got :-)
    Unfortunately it wouldn't be worth my time to go out and do that when I can make new ESL content and get Google organic results.

I imagine that these people who offer this print media campaign are going to take as much care as my cleaning lady did.

Oh yeah, I let her go a month later since I was planning to get one customer out of the expense. I'll hire her back next year when I've recovered sales.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    ...My site was not designed for children, nor for people with dogs.
    This is the most disgusting, discriminatory statement I've ever seen on ABestWeb. You don't want dog owners to visit your site, you will have close to zero customers.

They all agree with me:

arf!
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    You don't want dog owners to visit your site, you will have close to zero customers.

They all agree with me:
    and this 2 too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    My site wasn't designed for dog owners. I love dog owners as much as dogs, but it isn't like I had a cute schnauzer on my flier or anything of the sort. Unfortunately I'm allergic to dogs and cats so I can't have either indoors. When I grew up on a farm we had lots of half wild cats and a mini.collie and then another after he died.
    Of course to say that I don't want dog owners is to say I don't want parents because my site and flier weren't designed for children, so I'm waiting for everyone to start posting photos of toddlers :-) ... or just maybe YOU don't like children. I digress.
    I wonder if I should start a website about dogs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast