Suggestions on Best Remote Service?
    I have a lot of traveling coming up, actually starting tomorrow, but still need to be able to work off of my Desktop. I simply don't have all the tools I need on my Laptop. I have glanced at a couple remote services and the one that is shining the most is GoToMyPC ... does anyone have any other suggestions to check out before I commit .

Thank you so very much!!
    KK

I'm very new to affiliate marketing and have learned a lot from reading everything here. I am an IT professional, though, so hopefully I can give something back.

I like logmein.com. It's basic service is free. Two other things I like about it is that I can use it on my cell phone (it has Windows Mobile on it), and it handles dual monitors better than any other remote service I've used. Most of them just show you a double-wide screen, but logmein.com allows you to show just one screen at a time and switch between the two. The only thing the free version doesn't have is file transfers and remote printing, neither of whitch I ever use.

I hope that helps!

Welcome to ABW and Thank you!

I read some reviews, and overall they were pretty good, so I downloaded it and it seems to work pretty well. Hopefully it will last over the next 2 trips ..
    KK

Thanks!

I think it will last you a while. I've been using it for almost a year now. I have it on about 7 or 8 PC's and servers that I use and it has always worked well.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    3 posts and you've given back to our community already! welcome to ABW cabobrian, dang glad you're here!!!

ps - like your website, but the pages load way too slow, get a better host?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    GotomyPC is one popular one. Prof at our college use it a lot and we had to support it. Never had a complaint for the 120 licenses we supported.

Here is a free one off my head
    www.realvnc.com
    During with Win NT era, we used to use it for servers too.

VNC is also another option. The nice part about VNC is that you can access your machine from any web browser on the internet. I had it installed on my home machine several years ago when I had to travel to spain. I used it at several internet cafes here and abroad. No client software install needed.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Symantec PCanywhere is one I've used over the years. It is a download and you need both installed at both locations and was slow back then. But have not used them in over 4 yrs so not sure of the latest features and upgrades, speed or requirements, but was one of the best ones.

GotomyPCc has been around a while for no software download too and I have seen it in action at office conferences so could be good solution also.

why don't you use te remote desktop software on your PC

Never knew why people paid for remote software when windows comes with one.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    why don't you use te remote desktop software on your PC

Never knew why people paid for remote software when windows comes with one.
    Yup Yup that was going to be my suggestion.

Right Click My Computer > Remote Tab > Allow users to connect...

Might require a small router/cable-DSL modem setting change but that is it. Free and forever.

The problem with using the built in Windows Remote Terminal and with PC Anywhere is that you have to have a static IP address on the PC's you want to support. Plus you can only support one PC through your Internet connection since you will have to configure your router to open up the port and pass that traffic to one specific PC.

We use VNC internall in our office when we don't want to get up out of our chair to use another PC. I'm not sure about using abroad. I would think it would have the same limitations as mentioned above.

That's the advantage of GotoMyPC and LogMeIn and services like those. You can configure it for as many PC's as you want and you won't have to make any changes to your network setup at home and can get to them from anywhere with a network connection. GotoMyPC will charge you per PC that you want to set it up on, though.

I have had issues with GotoMyPC and LogMeIn at some of our client sites because their corporate IT staff decided they need to block that access. But you shouldn't have any problems with Internet access at public Internet cafes or from your hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    3 posts and you've given back to our community already! welcome to ABW cabobrian, dang glad you're here!!!

ps - like your website, but the pages load way too slow, get a better host?
    Thanks! My website is just a hodge podge (sp?) of crap that I put on there. It really needs to be cleaned up and maybe it would load faster. I mainly use it to test out new ideas I have or if I see a new module that looks cool and want to figure out how it works. I used to have a pretty good photo gallery on it, but the database got corrupted and I haven't put it back together yet.

Sorry for the off topic post.

If you don't have a static IP address, you can always create a VPN with something like Hamachi.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by cabobrian
    The problem with using the built in Windows Remote Terminal and with PC Anywhere is that you have to have a static IP address on the PC's you want to support. Plus you can only support one PC through your Internet connection since you will have to configure your router to open up the port and pass that traffic to one specific PC.

Naaa...You just need one static IP. Setup you router/firewall too allow RDP Access to your desired machine. Then use that Workstation to RDP to any of the other workstations on the network.

I can get to any of 5 workstations at my house from my office.

That is just my personal choice. I have never really used GoToMyPC.

Thanks,
    Doug

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread