Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Google Video PPC Advertising
    Talked to a (good) friend this morning and during our visit the topic of video ppc advertising came up. In doing some research I came across a blog from last month that caught my attention.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/05/23...ng-against-it/

I'm curious about any "pioneers" here that may be early users to see what your initial impressions are re: effectiveness, ROI, versus text ads etc.

I used actual VHS video sales packages in the 80's for a home based franchise that I promoted back then. The VHS was very effective at that time, but I suspect this may have been because it was basically a 45 minute reality type movie presentation complete with actress and a home setting.

The recipient would sit on the couch and basically watch the "movie" while eating etc. That of course is a different mindset, environment etc than the online searcher.

The video ppc approach interests me as a pre-sale warm up type tool, so it would be great to hear comments from anyone who is actually trying / using it to hear your thoughts.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I could slaughter that idiot's article, it's so wrong it's funny. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. But hey, what do I know about ppc-related stuff. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I could slaughter that idiot's article, it's so wrong it's funny. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. But hey, what do I know about ppc-related stuff. :-)
    I'm just curious. What do you disagree with? I read this blog regularly and usually enjoy Michael's posts.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Pretty much all of it. Pick something particular and I can comment on that.

I'll provide one glaring thing - spotrunner is for ads on tv, tracking is what is there and so is targeting. to compare g video ads (the ones he said are syndicated through adsense, not tv, which will come later) to spotrunner - and conclude that because spotrunner is available, the advertisers, publishers and viewers therefore will find g's syndicated video ads of little interest (he said unpopular), is some weird kind of twisted logic - these ads are not even shown to the same audience or delivered through the same channel - one is tv, the other are on internet sites.

if i said... people won't watch tv ads on cable because radio ads are already available in their car, so don't bother with tv my friend. what would you think?

But hey, what do I know about ppc-related stuff. :-)
    Now just a dad burned minute there doughboy.... I like you, and you know that. So take this in the positive spirit in which it is offered...

You know a lot about PPC, so STOP doubting yourself. If it weren't for you encouraging me last year to bid my key terms at $10 a pop, I never would have made it to # 1 results on G. And, I don't care about the $300 CPS loss, because I figure that someday I'll make up for it with volume!! So cowboy up, and stop selling yourself short.

Well, gotta run for now. The foreclosure folks just showed up to take everything we own, but I'll be back on top one day, and I owe it all to you.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Cowboy
    Either way, without Google search, advertisers will be significantly less interested in the product.
    He needs to look at those content match numbers again. It is a huge part of Adwords.
    Second. When someone clicks on a video, they arenít clicking through to a website, where some sort of action can occur that can be tied to an ROI.
    Where are they clicking to?
    I stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph. That was enough for me. Donuts is right. All 7 points are wrong. But....

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    He needs to look at those content match numbers again. It is a huge part of Adwords.Where are they clicking to? I stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph. That was enough for me. Donuts is right. All 7 points are wrong. But....
    To clarify here, my intent in referencing the article is to raise discussion about video ppc, not to imply that this guys article negates its value. I know very little about video ppc at this point. I'm leaning toward trying it, so I'd love to hear thoughts about how it is doing for those who may be using it.

if i said... people won't watch tv ads on cable because radio ads are already available in their car, so don't bother with tv my friend. what would you think?
    Makes sense. There wasn't a strong point to the whole post. The fact that it's over a year old kinda explains the cluelessness of it though.

- Scott

Here's the number one reason why you should be interested in experimenting with Google Video Ads distributed via AdSense / Content Network...

(and by the way, his article calls this situation a negative... i call it a HUGE positive)

You pay for clicks through to your site, not for impression of your video's pre-roll static image before playing NOR DO YOU PAY FOR PEOPLE PLAYING / VIEWING THE VIDEO.

If someone is reading / browsing a website about something in particular, and through content sensing, G has placed your relevant video on that page as a video ad... if the consumer watches the video, you do NOT pay anything. You only pay for actual clicks through to your website. Video viewers can be presold on what lies ahead. In my text ads and banner ad ppc, my bounce rates are often as high as 40%. Meaning the person who arrives at my site, leaves from that landing page, and never visited another page on my site - I paid for that click and they came and weren't interested and left - it's very expensive. I'm very experienced at targeting and controlling adwords, so it's not that I'm not doing it well - it's just not as sweet as Search Network, but it's size is large! I also know from experiences with others that their high bounce rates and low roi on the content network can be miserable. However, with video ads, you get to show the consumer something before incurring the click cost. The power that the pay trigger's location in the cycle has, on your roi and pre-cost targeting and filtering, is quite wonderful.

Another way to put it is... no matter whether it's a banner, video or text ad, you are essentially pushing information about yourself in front of people - you don't pay anything until G delivers that person to your site, via a click through. So how much can you show someone before that click - text ads are 95 characters, banners are one glimpse of you, while a video let you show yourself a little more before you incur a cost.

As a marketer, I'd rather pay for someone who has watched a 15 second video of my site's goods than someone who clicked on my text ad, because I can pre-qualify them in much deeper ways.

And as far as attracting traffic, it empoers the creative marketer. A text ad can only be so visible, so sexy, so enticing, so explanatory or qualifying... 95 characters is a tough presell scenario. With video, I have the opportunity to try so many more things that static, limited text.

It's not a panacea, it's not easy or simple, and it's not for every situation - but it has enormous power, mainly in the details of how the advertiser gets billed and in the avenues it opens in terms of creativity and pre-qualification.

You pay for clicks through to your site, not for impression of your video's pre-roll static image before playing NOR DO YOU PAY FOR PEOPLE PLAYING / VIEWING THE VIDEO.
    Wow, I didn't know that. Considering this I'm all for PPC video ads. In fact I'm more interested than ever to create a PPC video. I already know I'm going to produce a video demonstrating how to use my upcoming site, but now I can create a short commercial demo to go with it. Woohoo!

- Scott

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    There are some great tools for making simple Google PPC video Ads that get REAL results on their content network. I've only tried them from a merchant's point of view, and like some of my larger Adwords banner Ads, they constantly get higher CTR's then the text Ads. The Branding aspect is great, but the problem is like the attractive banners, you'll need a daily budget cap for all the lookie loo's. Tightly focused Content "Site targeting campaigns" on a CPM basis returns positive ROI with video and Banners. Best CTR comes from 336x280 Video Ads.

They're good for jump starting traffic for new product lines. Went from zero to 20+ orders per day on 3 new suspender products, with special landing pages, inside of one month. I now alternate pausing the video and banner campaigns and just let the text Ads run without denting sales volume. I haven't played yet with adding Audio to the video Ads. Conversion ratio averages about 5%.

Wish Google would shoe horn Video Ads into their PPA (Pay per action) Adsense affiliate campaigns. Those average over 20% conversion ratio. I like using banners and video Ads on the content network as you don't run headlong into those MFA click trap scumbags. Image Ads assure your getting physical clicks on either from actual content pages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

This might be , but I don't care!

Welcome back Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie .

Almost four months without any BHO's or Ad-Whore posts from you or , was not a good sign, I am glad you're still alive and kicking, and on the good side of the fence.

Saw these numbers today from emarketer, forecasting spending on online video advertising.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?id=1005126
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And I had a very important meeting last week with some very hyper-smart people who are video production artists, to explore my video production business, a side-arm of my affiliate and consulting business, that went very well.

So Snib, where I have at times poked fun at you for jumping on the "it's new, it's gonna be great" bandwagon, know that I'm guilty of the same here in the video ad niche. :-)

Anyone else tried running, as an advertiser within AdWords, any PPC Video Ads on the Google (AdSense) Content Network?

If you've got a niche affiliate site where video can highlight the products or services visually, and if you're got access to video productions skills / resources, I suggest you give it a try.

I'm loving mine. The quality of presentation gives my site credence and also sets a mood / tone with visitors - got some cool music tracks laid into the video. And I only pay for people that like what they see and click through to my site, don't pay anything to present and show my video in many places.

If you don't know what PPC Video Ads are, here's some example video ads G has provided:
    https://adwords.google.com/select/af...eoadsdemo.html

If you can make videos, I think this may be a good opportunity to be a paid video producer, maybe even branch that out into its own free-standing business.

Anyone else tried running, as an advertiser within AdWords, any PPC Video Ads on the Google (AdSense) Content Network?

If you've got a niche affiliate site where video can highlight the products or services visually, and if you're got access to video productions skills / resources, I suggest you give it a try.

I'm loving mine. The quality of presentation gives my site credence and also sets a mood / tone with visitors - got some cool music tracks laid into the video. And I only pay for people that like what they see and click through to my site, don't pay anything to present and show my video in many places.

If you don't know what PPC Video Ads are, here's some example video ads G has provided:
    https://adwords.google.com/select/af...eoadsdemo.html

If you can make videos, I think this may be a good opportunity to be a paid video producer, maybe even branch that out into its own free-standing business.
    I made some for my Holdup Suspender client and they average a 3.2% play ratio. The CTR, causing the click fee to kick in is much higher then the adsense text Ads by a factor of 10. Guess the "Hip to be Square" soundtrack plus the Hotties in the new thin Urban Youth suspenders and slick frame transitions entice some look loo clicks. Between the large banners and the PPC videos, plus some immediate SERPs jumped the un-ranked landing pages into the top 5 of the established site pages. I'd prefer more adsense sites would display the videos, but you can site target campaigns who choose this format related to your target audience. Googles creative trigger actually serves my image and video Ads 71% of the time so they clober the CTR of the text Ads.

Smart move is to eliminate the text Ads all together in some site targeted and niche product keyword campaigns forcing the adsense publishers to display eye candy branding and never incure any text based MFA click traps. BY having video and attractive Banner Ads running together, on both content and search networks campaigns with text Ads, my daily budget for those campaigns get eaten up with 90% of the Ad types being served by Adwords being the image and video Ads.

Only a lazy idiot would bypass video and tasteful banner Ads and subject themselves to the MFA traps and click cheat adsense affiliates. I setup a test landing page for the merchant using their own Adsense account. Placed product and company content there mixed in with text, banner and video adsense Ads for the test. Linked to that page from a fashion forum and some of my sites. This landing page got very high Adwords CTR and 80% of the clicks were from Banners and the video.

Same goes for choosing Google PPA Ads. Only the converting PPA merchants will offer the full size range of Banners images specifically targeting high conversion landing pages. Most just port over the text Ads with the home page as a landing page ...thinking branding... not sales. Why shaft adsense publishers on a PPA basis when they can cream the affiliate network creatives on conversion ratio. It sure is a "more prime space" motivator for the adsense publisher to see 1 sale for every 6 clicks generated from a Adsense creative.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

So Snib, where I have at times poked fun at you for jumping on the "it's new, it's gonna be great" bandwagon, know that I'm guilty of the same here in the video ad niche. :-)
    Oh you're just getting to video, I've already moved on to newer and more innovative advertising mediums

- Scott

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Since video ads are made with Flash, is it possible that an increasing number of people are gonna be installing blocking software (as I do) and thus not being able to see those ads at all? Or do ya'll reckon the number is gonna be negligible? Just thinking about this, as IMO the possibility of video being blocked is much higher than that of text or banner ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick - AM Navigator
    Since video ads are made with Flash, is it possible that an increasing number of people are gonna be installing blocking software (as I do) and thus not being able to see those ads at all? Or do ya'll reckon the number is gonna be negligible? Just thinking about this, as IMO the possibility of video being blocked is much higher than that of text or banner ads.
    Good question as, like you, I loath FLASH as an intrusive Advertising force. Google skirts this issue by requiring their Adwords videos have a placeholder static .jpg or .gif image rather then shoving Flash wrapped video autoplay on site visitors. The page visitor knows if they've disabled Flash and just gets to see the placeholder banner. Those act just like regular Adwords banners if Flash is disabled.

ABW Ambassador
    Plus in the same link Donuts posted above:

"Some research indicates that most people think Internet video advertising is highly irritating. According to the "Online Video Advertising" report from online advertising company Burst Media, 77.5% of those who watch video online find video ads intrusive, while 62.2% say they disrupt their Web surfing experience."

I like watching videos but not video advertising. But if you only pay when they watch and click, it should be good as far as that goes.

many videos are intrusively packed with videos and that sucks - the survey wasn't looking at G video ads at all. G's trying to do it right, not with all the forced autoplay stuff - or trailers that are ad content forced into the vid stream.

i'd venture to say most people here have not even seen a google adwords ppc video ad, so before you say you don't like video advertising, you might want to view some.

ABW Ambassador
    I've seen them before, I know what I like and don't like and I don't go to sites so I can view video ads. As I imagine the 77.5% and 62.2% also. And I don't think that's going to change much just because they're Google video advertising. A lot of people could and do skip commericials if given the option, block ads already. I think people get video confused with video advertising. I like watching video on sites like YouTube but I don't want to see any video ads.

So if you were on a site about something of interest to you, and in an adsense block there, they had a video ad, you'd never ever ever click on it?

ABW Ambassador
    Probably not, wouldn't rule it out but not likely. And the article you linked too says pretty much the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    And the article you linked too says pretty much the same thing.
    Can you explain your view of the article further?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast