Just wanted to start a new topic about taxing the internet (sales and stuff).

Do you think that there should be a tax?

Who should pay it.

Based upon what?

Should it be uniform to all states?

What about international sales?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    You asking about sales tax (a topic again raising it's ugly head) or Internet usage tax?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you think that there should be a tax?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't think there are to many people that will say yes to that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think we have enough taxes in this country and would hate to see the internet being taxed. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the future. Uncle Sam seems to always get his fingers in the post somehow.

I think the only way the internet itself could be taxed is if the gov't taxes the internet service providers and then the providers pass the charges onto us. Kind of like a sales tax.

Chet Brzezinski
    FineClicks Admin
    http://www.FineClicks.com
    chet@fineclicks.com

There are some products that you can't tax on the Internet. For example if you taxed information products, like ebooks etc then all they would have to do is to move the business offshore to a tax-free country.

Find out how much top affiliates are making at http://www.profitpuppy.com/top-affiliates.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Actually we are very very lucky to have what we do.

The only reason we are not operating on 100% solar energy right now is that they have not yet figured out a way to put a meter between us and the sun.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
    Just wanted to start a new topic about taxing the internet (sales and stuff).
    Do you think that there should be a tax?
    Who should pay it.
    Based upon what?
    Should it be uniform to all states?
    What about international sales?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sales Tax in the US is a topic of its own.
    The Tax Laws are so difficult to follow, that it is even harder to enforce them.
    Okay, you are screwed, when the IRS decides to review your company.

I live in Fresno/CA and we have in Fresno alone more than 2 different sales tax rates.
    Most people outside of california do not even know, that Fresno/CA exist.
    If I enter my address, with Zip, City and State on a Site, which is calculating the tax 100% correctly by the book the question pops up "which of the two is your correct tax juristiction?".

Most countries have a single sales tax rate for the whole country and show the prices+tax everywhere (makes the calculation of the total price much easier). They charge you the sales tax of the location where they have their business, period.
    If you want that tax back, go to the customs or IRS and claim it. It's not by shipping address.
    They don't care.

A correct tax calulation on the Web requires specialized software to do that. The Price for the software is usually an annual fee (a subscription for the service), because they have to update the rates daily to reflect all tax changes happening anywhere in this country.
    All that comes at a price, which is not affordable for small and mid-size businesses.

It would help to have a nationwide tax rate for doing business online.
    That would even protect local businesses what all the states are so weary about, because it stops the following customers calculation

Local
    product: $1000 , tax: $80, shipping: $10 = $1090

Out of State
    product: $1000 , tax: $0, shipping: $30 = $1030

The problem is, that it prevents local comunities to raise, decrease sales tax at will to fund local comunity projects or relief local residents to boost the economy.

That unique tax can still benefit the local comunity, if the government decides, that x% goes to the local comunity where the business has its headquarter.

Baaaaaaaaaad topic hehe.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread