Merchant banners in Adsense?
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it is in Adsense so here goes. One merchant that I am promoting had big banners (not text ads) up in Adsense on my site today. I know I can go and block them but just wondered if there is a way to find out if they were just there randomly? It doesn't feel right.

Tax Paying Member
    I noticed the same thing today. The banner was not of the merchant that I was promoting on that particular page but it was a banner from one of my other similar merchants.

I passed it off as a random happening............but it may need to be watched.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Hi 2busy,

I would say that the merchant is bidding on keywords in the content network that are relevant to their business, and their ads are just randomly appearing on your site because you happen to be promoting the same thing.

It's possible, but unlikely, that the merchant is site-targetting you, in which case they would be paying per impression rather than per click. I say it's unlikely because it doesn't make much sense for a merchant to pay per impression to display ads on a site that's already promoting them on a performance basis.

But... stranger things have happened. The merchant could have an agency managing their PPC and the agency may have picked your site along with 300 others to "expand the brand" for the merchant.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the merchant. Or if you don't like them showing up, as you said you can always block them.

My $0.02. Good luck 2busy.

-Dale
    Dale LaFountain, CIO, <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/">Things From Another World</a> - More Comics. More Toys. More Stuff. More FUN!
    14% base comm / up to 21.5% w/perf incent / 90 return days / parasite free / HUGE datafeed / <a style="color:#c23015; font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;" href="http://www.tfaw.com/Help/Affiliate-Information___168?qt=abw">[b]Join[/b]</a>

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it is in Adsense so here goes. One merchant that I am promoting had big banners (not text ads) up in Adsense on my site today. I know I can go and block them but just wondered if there is a way to find out if they were just there randomly? It doesn't feel right.
    Why wouldn't it feel right? G tries to match their advertisers Adwords ads as closely as possible to Adsense publishers web pages, so if you promote this merchant on your site this seems like an excellent match. Moreover, the better the match the higher the chance that this merchants banner will reappear.

If you're worried that someone clicks on the merchants Adsense banner (giving you 10 cent) rather than on you affiliate link to the same merchant (which may give you a higher commission) than your best bet would be to block the merchants' ads from your site.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    If you have the default for your ads set to image and text you will get banner ads at some times. You can change your default to text only, or set individual ads to text only. The other thing you can do is block advertisers you don't want showing on your sites in the competitive filter.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Image ads are not as prevelant as text ads in AS, but they do exist. I don't see how you would feel not right about it, but if you feel that strongly, block the image ads as suggested.

Thanks to all for the input, I guess I'll just block their ads. The reason it doesn't feel right to me is that my site has excellent SERP, our products are very similar and I am promoting them in hopes of a sizable commission; call it leak repair.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    ...call it leak repair...
    I like that term. I have the same situation on some of my sites, so now I have a term for taking corrective action.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Angry
    What really bugs me is when you send traffic to a merchant, and that merchant is running Google ads on their order page, like this one from Buy.com (not an affiliate url)

http://www.buy.com/prod/Navman_iCN_7...204407656.html

See the Google banner ad? Nice eh?

We do the hard work and maybe even spend money on PPC advertising, and they get the click! Aarrghh!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    Image ads are not as prevelant as text ads in AS, but they do exist. I don't see how you would feel not right about it, but if you feel that strongly, block the image ads as suggested.
    Must be your keywords, I get A LOT of image and video ads in AS, probably 50/50 at least, some sites 75/25 image to text.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Mine are about 50/50, I do not mind image ads/banners at all, just when they are for a merchant I have links to. The ads seem to be steered more by tags and content than keywords. Once AS was reading the wrong meaning for a word and to get rid of the off-topic ads I put NOT (other meaning) in a few image tags and it worked.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Here's some real feedback from someone who watches Adwords/Adsense reports like a hawk for a few merchant clients. I also test these creatives and conversion ratios as an adsense publisher.

For years tasteful banners in all sizes up to 336x280 get three times the CTR of text ads on the content network. The 120/160 x 600 pixel sidebar Ad is a super click bait adsense producer. This equates to more adsense click revenue for you guys. Problem for the merchant(Adwords) is conversion ratio is way less from content adsence impressions (CPM) and clicks (PPC) then shown by Google search text Ads. Hell... natural SERP and direct type in traffic exceeds any Adwords campaign conversion ratios (except the PPA program clicks).

Video Ads also get good CTR for the 336x280 pixel video showcase Ads. So Banners (all sizes) and video Ads (Google foots bandwidth bill) should be part of your content page mix.

For you merchants out there and affiliates with Adwords accounts.... There is no affiliate thin site/scraper site click fraud, or excessive Adwords fees due to MFA click traps on Image Ads. Only TEXT Ads, as all the super affiliates, Get-Paid-to click slaves and MFA wanks use contextual text ads. On some Adwords campaigns (PPC & CPM) I use ONLY banner and video Ads, while setting daily minimums due to higher CTR. This forces the hidden branding ROI evidenced by those surfer/shoppers who just type in displayed URL or Search for Merchant/Brand and click on natural SERP results. GA shows direct type in's convert 4 times higher then SERP or Adwords clicks. This also allows for higher PPC and CPM bids by reinvesting the fraud cost. Merchants get transparancy via Google Analytics conversion tracking.

Network and Indy Merchants cannot practice any common diversion tactics if they get selected and use Googles PPA (Pay Per Action) beta. Again those PPA merchants who provide all sizes of banners tagged with high conversion keywords, and specialty designed high conversion landing pages, can achieve up to a 20% conversion ratio. I've averaged 20% for 2 months (as in 1 sale per 5 clicks). I'll assume this is why just the smaller and niche merchants only show up on adsense PPA selections. The big boys (often alos Google Checkout merchants) want nothing to do with Google's PPA program as they can't divert sales.

Merchants, with BHO partners, get the usual domain targeted double dipping gang raping they so deserve regardless of Google's PPA promotional targeting efforts. BHO's and Cart parasites like MetaRewards don't give a rats ass where the traffic comes from as they do their point of sale attack based upon merchant's domain URL. That's why you see no outrage/panic from LS & CJ on Google's PPA launch. They know their den of commission thieves can bypass Google's honest affiliate network with BHO's and impedded cart/privacy rewards operators.

My suggestions to the Google staff sleuths: Team up with AffiliateFairPlay's Kellie and create a blacklist of BHO infested merchants who'll never get invites to Google PPA. Avoid any merchnats who allow incentive Cart poaching partnerships. Interface Google Checkout to Google Analytics. Push PPA merchants to use a mix of text and image Ads and concentrate on good PPA high conversion landing pages. Run video Ads on PPA network. Moral of story is an honest merchant, who doesn't practice sales commission diversion, and abhors BHO's and incent affiliates can leverage Google Adwords/Adsense content network to grow their business.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread