Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Tips for getting started on DTM PPC?
    Greetings,

I'm another new member here. I was interested in getting into Affiliate Marketing, by doing Direct to Merchant pay per click, if I used those terms right. The few e-books I read through, made it sound like something I have the time to do (I have a lot of that), and I believe I have the desire as well. Though after reading through this forum, which had a lot more information than those books, I'm discovering this will take a lot of work. Not that I thought it'd be easy, but those books didn't cover the nitty gritty I've read about here.

After a lot of reading here, I've come up with a plan to get myself started. I would be thankful if some of the more experienced members here could provide a little guidance and/or point out if my plan is a bad one.

I would sign up with SAS, find some companies that "auto-accept" and auto-deposit, plus ones that look like money could be made from. Then go keyword searching, to find ones I can bid on for $.05. Set up DTM PPC ads with Adwords, with a budget of just a few dollars as test runs. If my results seem to be good, then increase the budget. (And, that's the summary, didn't want to write a book, LOL)

I know a lot of you have websites, but I was thinking this would be a good way to start. Gives me less things to have my focus on, while I learned the business. Or will I be doomed from the start without websites?

Plus is Adwords good for beginners? I was reading about rate hikes, and googling smacking, so I wasn't sure if I should be concerned about that.

Anyway, thanks to those who read this, and double thanks to those who respond! And sorry if there is a thread about starting with DTM PPC already, I tried searching, and didn't seem able to find one.

Thanks.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    don't just rely on the search feature here to help, look through every thread for the last year here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=267

make sure you are careful about capping your daily budget at a very small number, lots can go wrong.

start with exact match only, just on G search (not G content) and deep link to very closely related products using very pertinent keywords and ad text.

good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    Oh wow, this has to be a sign of good fortune, if you're the first to reply to me here!

Thanks for the link, I've been there and reading, and I guess I should return and read more and reread things till they stick in my head! And if it wasn't obvious, I do find your posts in there impressive.

Thanks again.

Internet Cowboy
    Be careful of merchants who have other programs when using PPC. A SAS Exclusive (there is an icon denoting it) merchant will have much less of a chance of having an affiliate in their program who will interfere with your commissions. Do some searching for "parasite" if you are unsure why I suggest this.
    Good luck and welcome to ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the tip, and I'll definitely look more into parasite. =)

ABW Ambassador
    Whoops.. seems I have to have a website to sign up with SAS, even if I don't use it.

So now I have to come up with a company name, information, etc.. to do DTM PPC? Not that I'm complaining, I'm just horrible at coming up with names for stuff, and have no clue what to put on a website, if I'm not using it. Actual name, company name, an email address, and that I'm new to the business? But then, do I need to register with someone, to be an actual business?

LOL, sorry. Having a moment of feeling overwhelmed, I'm sure I'll get through it. A break from the computer seems like a good idea for now though. Thanks all.

start with exact match only, just on G search (not G content) and deep link to very closely related products using very pertinent keywords and ad text.
    If you have a merchant with thousands of products, what gets a product on the short list for possible PPC promotion?

that's a very, very complicated question. :-)

there are so many factors - merchant doing ppc themselves, ppc landscape, strength of store name and/or brand name / identifiability of products, volume / popularity, the merchants site categorization, layout and image quality, checkout process, price relative to competitors, need vs want, coupon availability and much more.

wade in and try things, it's the only way to know. if you find a merchant that converts well, explore everything that they have.

ABW Ambassador
    While that wasn't my question, still one I can learn from. Thanks again!

wade in and try things, it's the only way to know. if you find a merchant that converts well, explore everything that they have.
    I have a large merchant that has me stumped. 2.43% conversion on all SAS clicks and every sale organic. Every product I tried with PPC led to zero sales. This is over a year and a half. I just couldn't believe that with good organic results there wouldn't be a product or two that PPC would convert.

That 2.43% would look a lot better if the PPC wasn't dragging it down.

Organic conversion stats can be very misleading towards making good ppc decisions. The impact of your site on the visitor, why they're there in the first place and where they came from, as well as other factors can make it very hard to analyze.

This is the kind of thing I'd discuss with my trusted bud, Scooter. There's a why there, it just needs to be uncovered. There's no tracking reason for it. Grab your breathing buddy (scuba term) to get an independent look at it and you'll figure it out.

And generally, more precise control is available with ppc (this is a very broad generalization and not everyone exercises their ability to that available higher level of control), so CR's are often higher with PPC than with SEO. That doesn't mean it's more profitable, the costs of PPC are considerable and there's more volume in top spot SEO.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Sorry if this is a rather newbish question, but it sounds like to start, it might be better to pick a website that focuses on one kind of service or product line, and make the keywords and ad text relate closely to that?

Or in bumpaw's question, a merchant with thousands of products, I would just make the ad fit one of those products and have the link in the PPC take people right to the section/page of the merchant's website that sells that one product? (Thinking that's what you mean by deep linking, but asking never hurts! LOL)

Thanks. =)

Yes to both. :-)

You want to end up having a lot of rifles, each aiming at very specific targets. If you make yourself into a shotgun, you'll fail.

To build a house, you hammer nails.

Your ego's writing checks your body can't cash.

If you swing for the fence, you're going to strike out. But if you hit tons of singles and don't gamble, you can get into the hall of fame. (that's a Donutism babe! the three tiered analogy - a sprinkling of sports, irony and marketing.)

Out of analogies, and getting hungry. Lunch time. C ya.

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, nice reference to Pete Rose in there. =)

The first e-book I read, was all about the home runs. So this forum is a life saver. I think once my SAS application is approved, if my first campaign brings in 10 cents profit, that'd be a success. Or would it take a lot of luck (besides work and time) for a newbie to not be in the red?

But I definitely think I'm at the point where I need to actually try. I can read all the books about swinging a bat, but it isn't the same as picking one up.

There's another analogy, LOL. Enjoy lunch and thanks again!

ABW Ambassador
    I forgot to include an email on my website, whoops! So hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow and be approved at SAS!

Anyway, this leads to a new question, if I am able to find a company I want to try marketing for, and get all the keywords researched, etc.. should I hold off on beginning my first test ad till after the 4th of July, or would the holiday not really have much effect on results?

And yeah, I am overly eager to try and get started, but I won't rush into putting an ad up. Patience is a virtue, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    should I hold off on beginning my first test ad till after the 4th of July, or would the holiday not really have much effect on results
    impossible for others to predict, it depends on what you're selling and how.

you're in the best spot to make decisions like this for yourself.

generally though, don't be in a hurry to do anything - you'll do it better if think it out more beforehand. and a day or two isn't going to determine your success, so enjoy the holiday!

ABW Ambassador
    Makes sense. Thanks once again. =)

If I bid on [glazed double holed donuts] exact and you bid on "double holed donuts" phrase, how do the bids compete? I have read explanations before on this in several places and still it's foggy.

I have used exact and phrase with the same keywords in ad groups. They wind up with different CTR and CPC for each. I guess what I'm trying to say is what is Google's system for competing between Phrase and Exact?
    Last edited by bumpaw; July 3rd, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Yes, all matching keywords compete.

If you and I, using our separate accounts, each have keywords as you described, the one that would rank higher (if all were shown), will be the one that is shown.

So imagine G's computers doing all of their normal calculations to place all of the bids in order, then going down that list to de-dupe all ads going to the same domain (showing only the best one, if one for this domain is going to show).

So you have to outperform me on that ad - bid, ad relevancy, landing page, keyword, etc... if we bid the same, had the same ad, same history, same everything else and used the same landing page url, there's then just performance (CTR)... since I bid phrase, my keyword also triggers for "extra large chicken based double holed donuts technology", but you bid exact... so I'll have some peripheral traffic that isn't interested in my ad, because of the extra modifiers from the phrase match. So my keyword's CTR will suffer. You will only get those who type-in exactly the same thing as your keyword. If we allow a large enough sample set, your keyword's CTR will be higher and you'll out position me, so my ad would no longer show (since we're pointed at the same domain and G's de-duping them).

During some random-like off day for you, your CTR might dip by chance (your ad is showing, mine's not). If it dips enough, just below idled ad's time weighted average CTR (or forecasted CTR), and I might get shown for a little while. But since I'll have dips too, you'll come back to displace me soon enough.

All makes sense?

All makes sense?
    Now that's a fog busting explanation. Thanks for the detailed reply. You have been a big help today and for quite some time.

ABW Ambassador
    All makes sense?
    Same here, made sense to the newbie as well. You really are a big help!

I do have a question on the one ad per domain part. Is it one ad per the domain, and not per where the ad is pointing to on the domain? I don't think I explained that well, what I mean is:

www.widgets.com/blue
    www.widgets.com/yellow

Would it count those both as the same, and only allow one of those to display, even if each person has different keywords, focused on the color?

If you don't mind me jumping in with a question as well.

I've never been able to get my head around phrase, broad and exact.

Using the example [glazed double holed donuts], as an exact bid. If someone searched for [glazed double hole donuts], my understanding is my ad wouldn't show up as it is not an exact match.

So, is this where you end up getting into thousands or millions of keywords? Doing every possible variation of a phrase as an exact match?

If someone bid on [New York] as an exact match and the search term was "Where are the best chocolate glazed double hole donuts in New York" Both bids would show, I'm guessing, but in what order?

Ok, sorry but this just popped into my head, what shows up first, if I'm bidding on the phrase [best chocolate glazed donuts in New York] as a broad term vs. the other options? It seems the last option has the most keywords that match the search query and would show before the exact matches?

In the display URL for AdWords only one of these ads would show. It's by domain.

ABW Ambassador
    In the display URL for AdWords only one of these ads would show. It's by domain.
    Thank you, I was wondering if display URL had anything to do with it.

And yay! I've now been accepted by SAS!!! And gosh.. it's gonna take a while to figure out who to start with now, LOL.

Correct, no more than one instance of any single domain for any given search.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast