ABW Ambassador
    WinZip - Keep it while you can
    WinZip has never been freeware. It's shareware that costs $29.95 when the 45 day trial period runs out - BUT has always continued to work, though it has a counter that tallies the number of days past the expiration of the trial period. So it's been usable beyond the trial period, though it does take a bit of patience and takes longer to start up as the number of days past increases.

No more. With the newest version released, once the 45 day trial period runs out, it no longer will work unless you pay. It just stops - that's it.

If you have an older version operating and on your computer, you might consider saving a copy to external storage off your computer (like a CD), just in case your system tanks at some point and you need to re-install.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying NOT to pay for the software, they've created a fine utility and it's definitely worth having - and paying for.

Internet Cowboy
    I often wondered about that. They deserve to get paid. I have a paid copy on my desktop and a "free" copy on my laptop. I tried to enter the code for the desktop copy on my laptop, but the version on the laptop is far newer and the code does not work and you can no longer download the older version. I have not gotten around to copying it over from the desktop, but will now.
    Thanks for the reminder.

OldVersion.com has many oldies versions of popular programs and windoze components. found it when I needed to reinstall an old firewall. Pretty sure they have WinZip in several flavors.

You might try 7 Zip. It's a very popular Freeware app.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't include a free unzipping program with Windows. Another reason to go Mac, it's built in

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

If you have an older version operating and on your computer, you might consider saving a copy to external storage off your computer (like a CD), just in case your system tanks at some point and you need to re-install.
    OR.

You can always get "ZipCentral" for free at any time.

ZipCentral is a free and easy to use zip file manager with all the utilities you need to manage your zip files. The goal of ZipCentral is to be the most robust freeware zip-package you can find today.

Is ZipCentral compatible with WinZip and PKZip?
    Yes. It should be compatible with all Zip-archives created in production versions of WinZip and PKZip. Source: ZipCentral - ZipCentral runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP and NT 4.0.
    I used to have WinZip, PKZip, 7-Zip and others on my computer, but after I discovered ZipCentral back on 02', that is the only zip file manager that I need to use 98% of the time.

And when I compare the one costing $29.95 to this one, I would rather pay double for this one, but I am glad it's 100% free.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I don't know why Microsoft doesn't include a free unzipping program with Windows. Another reason to go Mac, it's built in

- Scott
    Yup, Exactly!

- Bill
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib

- Scott
    They do. I use XP Tablet and Vista and they allow you to view and use a Zipped file or folder just as you would a Windows folder. To create a new zipped folder just right click the file select send to from the menu and select compressed file.

To view an existing zipped file created by Windows or Winzip just open like you would any folder and drag the files or right click to decompress.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

This is all we use here and it works good on .tar too.

ABW Ambassador
    Posted by Snib
    Microsoft does include one free. There is an unzipping utility built right in to Windows XP, and it's been there for several years. It just doesn't have the same functionality after being accustomed to WinZip for years.

No need to switch to Mac and give up the regular already_paid_for functioning software and toolbars and have to jump through hoops and use emulators to design for the majority. Besides, why pay champagne Mac prices when you can get a kickass PC Athlon system with Vista installed for $299.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    a kickass PC Athlon system with Vista installed for $299.
    LOL

Here's your "NOT A GAMER" sign!

Here's another vote for 7 Zip. I originally got it to decompress a dvd full of old emulated games (Mario Bro's, etc.). I do some contract work for a guy who runs an all Mac environment and it's great having a free tool that lets you compress in all the popular formats (options include: Zip, Tar, GZip, BZip2, and their own compression formation 7z).
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

For free Zip/compression software, ZipCentral's not bad, and ZipGenius is pretty good. I used IZARC for several years, then suddenly found it wouldn't work for me with really large (1+gig) files. Don't know what happened, but everytime I'd try to use IZARC for, say, a 1,000 page html site created with WebMerge -- it would say the file was created, but I could never actually find the zip file.

So, I googled around and found "PowerArchiver," an absolutely terrific, killer app for those who don't mind paying $20 for ZIP software. (Still a bit cheaper than WinZip and much more intuitive, I found.)

Always wanted 7 Zip to work for me, as I've heard a lot of people recommend it, but I just could never really figure it out. At least, whenever I would install and use it, it never showed me anything different than the above-mentioned freebies and they all were "prettier."
    Generate more fake news.

WinRar is another good tool with a similar 40 day evaluation period that never really gets enforced. You can use it to open zip files with the added benefit that RAR files can be compressed up to 30% more than zip files.
    Last edited by loxly; July 2nd, 2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: edited html. html doesn't work in posts, use bbcode.

http and a telephoto
    Another vote for WinRar. I love it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Forgot windows included an unzipping program, has it been that long... I used winzip for a while, but I started out with pkunzip on DOS. When the windows command line started getting slow I was forced to use winzip for a while. Now I'm back to my command line roots happily running unzip, gunzip and tar

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    a kickass PC Athlon system with Vista installed for $299.
    And then install Linux on it and you'll be all set!

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm bumping this two years old thread today to say... Thank You - Michael Coley!

Today I was playing wih the new "Self-Serve Product Catalog" from CJ, and I discovered that I can't use my old free ZipCentral progam on Vista, and that the ZipCentral website no longer have any unzip program there...

So I decided to try the http://www.7-zip.org/ link you posted, and I was able to unzip the AdvertiserName-ProductCatalogName.txt.gz files on my HD.

This is another good thing about using the ABW feature! - I saved a lot of time by finding this old thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Today I was playing with the new "Self-Serve Product Catalog" from CJ
    I'm glad I saw this as I didn't know that the Self-Serve was ready. I've been using something real similar that they set up for me where the individual feeds ftp to me in .gz format and my script un-compresses and loads them in the database. Hopefully changing over to the new setup will go smooth since Self-Serve is a good thing.

From CJ Faq:
    BENEFIT: Publishers can now program their system to look for the same filename on a regular basis and instead check the file properties to see if the file has been modified.
    I have been just reloading the feed on a cron basis without regard to it having changed. That shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

20. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread