How can I improve further
    I joined SAS for a year now and signed up with 37 merchants but I selected only 4 merchants for adwords ppc.

The first few months trickle in some sales but not enough to cover the ppc cost. I chat with the adwords support and they offer to optimize a campaign for free. So I gave them a product to work on. After three weeks they fully optimized the campaign with ad groups, ad text, keywords and the min bid. I tested it for two weeks but it does not work just adding more cost to the ppc.

I then look through their methodology and make some changes to it for the rest of the merchants ppc campaign. Let me give an example how I work on the ppc for the selected merchant products.

Example that the merchant is selling the human body and it's body parts. I select the head part as the campaign. From there I break into ad groups for ears, nose, eyes and mouth. After testing for a month, I found that it is still too broad with few clicks and sales. I then change the four ad groups into campaigns, i.e each campaign for ears, nose, eyes and mouth with ad groups, ears campaign with ad groups of ear-loops, ear- drums etc etc., eyes campaign with ad groups of eyeball, eyebrow, eyelid etc, etc.

By doing this, it increases the CTR but still no increase in sales and the worst is June 2007 with only one sale.

These changes were made in the last two months. Most of my keywords were having average 2000 searches per day but I receive very few clicks. My keywords are mostly ok with average position between 5 to 8 and average CPC of 17cents. I put $10 per day per campaign but the total cost never reaches the $10 max, just $3 to $5.

The following is my adwords report for the full year July 2006 - June 2007

Impression - 1,190,573

Clicks - 11,794

CTR - 0.99%

Average CPC - $0.17

Cost - $1,985.50

===================================================

And here SAS report for the year

Hits - 8856

Sales - 55

Commission - $762.56

I had try to apply everything that I read in this forum and going through adwords help section. Also finding and keep on searching for relevant keywords. I did make changes to keywords, ads after two or three weeks of non performance.

One merchant advise that I use their landing page which I did but still no better result.

I usually allow two weeks before I make any changes to the keywords or ad text.

What or where did I do wrong.

Any comments or help are much appreciated.

Thanks
    Richard

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Lower your bids, your ROI is negative, this cannot continue.

Lowering your bids will lower your position, work on your low CTR and relevance / specificity to get your position as good as it can be for your new lower bid.

Improving your AdWords CTR isn't easy for beginners, make this an area of dedicated study.

There's a spectrum that runs from broad to phrase to exact matching, shift towards exact. This improves your ability to focus more getting higher CTR and relevance / specificity.

Of the 4 merchants you are using, make sure you are tracking everything to at least the ad group level (using afftrack parameter within SAS), and focus more on the better performing merchants. Look for other merchants on the Top 100 PowerRank list at SAS. Cast a wider "looking" net (find more merchants), but don't lose focus. Like going into a sports store, you visit all the aisles, but you don't become a sportsman -you become a spearfisher man, or a bear hunter, or an ice fisherman - look wider for opportunities, but stay specialized in each.

Make sure you're only using the Search Network within AdWords. Expand to doing Content Network experiments (at 1/3 rd the Search bid at the start - that's a guideline, not a rule, adjust per ROI, which you should track separately from Search). Only try the Content Network in cases where you're making excellent ROI on Search already.

Your conversion rate is 0.6% (55/8856) - this is a problem in itself. There's no easy metric of good or bad, there are too many other factors involved, like Comm Rate and Average Sale size. Regardless, yours is simply too low.

So generally, lower bids, work on CTR and CR. Easy for me to say, not so easy for you to do, I know. And remember, not everything works out - stay somewhat detached and analytical.

I frequently have projects that fail as well, but I keep my scissors handy... the balloons and bricks theory here... strings attach you to them all, balloons and bricks alike. To rise up, you need to pull out the scissors and snip the strings attaching you to the bricks - and let them fall away - they are weighing you down.

Good luck!

Thanks Donut for your usual helpful suggestions.

Will take some time to digest them and rework with maybe a few more new merchants.

Thanks
    Richard

I assume that since your PPC clicks are larger then you SAS hits that you are using your own site to have some of the PPC goto. If so are you tracking how well your sites are converting your visitors? If you have not already looked at it check out Google's Analytics. I've found it helpful.

Have you had someone review your sites? The quality & profesonialism of your pages could really effect how motivated to buy your customers are when you send them along to your merchants

I am sure you could get good feedback here in the Site review section or I'd be willing to review something if you wanted.

Good Luck

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for your comments and offer.

Is it ok if I email you as not sure whether you can receive pm.

Thanks
    Richard

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Are you sending direct to merchant or to your site?

If your site are you getting other sales and benefits?

But as was said many campaigns are losers. I stopped my main site PPC because it lost money and went all SEO.

I tried both, to my site and then to merchant and they do not perform well.

As per Donuts comments, I am now testing a new campaign with another merchant. In ths campaign I am testing for both, some keywords to my site and some direct to merchant sites.

Just got it running and wait for two weeks to see what happen.

Thanks
    Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay. Was on vacation in Prince Edward Island, very nice place. Feel free to email me. I don't think I have PM privledges yet. the address is amurray (at) murraycharitymall (dot) com .

Andy

Hi Andy,

Hope you are enjoying your vacation.

Will communicate with you next week.

Thanks
    Richard

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread