ABW Ambassador
    Orbitz New Baseline Requires an Opt-In
    Orbitz affiliates were just sent an email from Orbitz which begins with:
    *** NOTE: You will be receiving an email shortly from Linkshare re: our NEW Baseline.

Please be sure to OPT-IN to the new baseline right away and start earning higher commissions! ***
    Below that the new commission structure is explained.

Since when does a baseline change require an opt-in at Linkshare? I think this is very unfair. Why should an affiliate not immediately begin earning the higher commission just because he hasn't clicked a button? If a merchant lowers their baseline commission, they certainly don't require you to opt-in. It just changes automatically.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it goes both ways. For example when ToysRUs were lowering their commissions, you could opt in and starting earning less right away or just wait to earn less. Same thing with this except the other direction.

ABW Ambassador
    This is different because the Orbitz increase is effective immediately. With ToysRUs, advance notice was given and you were not required to opt in and if you didn't opt in, the change still took effect after the notice period ended. In the case of Orbitz, the increase will not take effect at all of you do not opt in.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Baseline Program Change
    Orbitz is offering affiliates to opt in early to take advantage of better commissions. If affiliates do not opt-in early they will be transferred automatically (within 2 weeks which is standard for any baseline change). Affiliates are not required to opt-in.

ABW Ambassador
    Are you Nette Martino with Orbitz (who sent the email)?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Not to side track the thread, but Orbitz will be attending our Merchant Best Practices Seminar this Saturday and we do discuss this in detail in our training ... we will visit this thread if permission is granted from the affiliate manager in attendance .....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I do not see a problem with that.

They are pushing out a new baseline commission offer. If you do not feel like taking that offer, wait for 2 week and get migrated automatically. It's not that they are not notifying us.

I am already in the new offer.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

It's the same thing in CJ - Offer changes, whether increases or decreases always take the specified period (14 days in LS, 7 in CJ) before automatically updating, unless forced by the user first. Why users have to approve a commission increase is beyond me, but I'm guessing it was easier to just code the system one way.

This isn't an Orbitz issue, it's a Linkshare issue.

ABW Ambassador
    The point I'm trying to make is that there was no indication in the email from Orbitz that the affiliate would be subject to the new higher commission structure if they didn't opt in since we were specifically told to opt in.

Absent a clarification from tmuelle1 that s/he is speaking on behalf of Orbitz in an official capacity above, the Orbitz affiliate manager, Angela Conley, is currently viewing this thread, yet she is remaining silent.

Affiliate Manager
    It's not that I'm remaining silent, I'm just a little confused as to why Orbitz raising our commissions on 2 products and paying $30 on Packages is being conveyed here in a negative light.

This is the second time Orbitz has changed their baseline in the past two years since I've been here and this is the policy that we've been governed by both times. All affiliates will roll into the new baseline in two weeks, as is standard for Linkshare.

We sent out an email to notify everyone of the great news personally so that everyone a) knew what was going on, b) had the option to proactively enroll in the new baseline at their discretion and c) did not receive only a form letter from Linkshare telling them of a change being made, with no other details.

Please keep in mind, you're actually earning more money! These changes are something I'm very excited about. I hope other affiliates are excited as well!

P.S. Andy, you are more than welcome to bring this thread up on Saturday.
    Last edited by Angela - Orbitz; July 3rd, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I'm pleased with the increased commission on rental cars and packages. The negativity you mention is due to the way the new baseline is being presented to affiliates. Since there is no downside to the new baseline at all, there is no reason that an opt-in should be required to take advantage of the new baseline immediately. If this is due to a Linkshare limitation, that should have been conveyed in the email. It was not. Simply saying that this change will take effect in two weeks anyway if you don't opt in would have been all that you needed to say. In no way is that evident from Nette Martino's email.

ABW Ambassador
    The offer that you are participating in will be expired in 14 days.

Merchant Name: Orbitz
    Program Level Number: 65.5

You do not need to change any links on your site. You will automatically be
    placed into the following new program level when this offer expires:

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    The offer that you are participating in will be expired in 14 days.

Merchant Name: Orbitz
    Program Level Number: 65.5

You do not need to change any links on your site. You will automatically be
    placed into the following new program level when this offer expires:
    There goes Linkshare and its cryptic emails... I guess it's better than CJ not emailing affiliates about new commission tiers that have been set, but Linkshare couldn't even explain the change in english?

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare never tells you what has changed, nor does CJ. You have to read the new terms on the network interface and determine for yourself what has changed unless the merchant sends a separate email as Orbitz did.

ABW Ambassador
    True, never liked the way LS does it. But with CJ you can go in and see the current offer and the new offer and very easily see the changes. Can't do that with LS.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Thanks Snowman - I got the emails and "filed" them

Now I know I have to log into LS if I want the raise now. Be right back...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread