Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Need help! Where is the best place to find and recruit affiliates?
    Thanks for taking your time to read this and respond!

I am just trying to figure out the whole 'affiliate' thing and find its much more complex than I thought! I've spent days reading and investigating websites and other affiliate places and just have not been able to get that much from my research. I know that someone must have traveled this road before me and I could use a few suggestions!
    The product that we are marketing is "real estate software". Its targeted for real estate agents, people looking to buy homes, people looking to invest money in real estate, and pretty much anyone who is tired of overpriced housing.

Thanks again for reading and for responding!

google
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    You could ask me. I know pretty much everything there is to know about affiliate marketing, and then some. But who am I kidding? - I pretty much know just about everything about everything, and if it's something I don't know, I can make up an answer that sounds good.

Now, can we both be serious?

You are in a great place to learn about the affiliate marketing thing. However, the reality is that it is a long, long journey ahead. If you are looking for a quick fix, it will not be here. But if you are looking to actually learn the industry, this is a great place to pick up information and educate yourself.

If you are here for the long haul, just dig in, research, ask questions, do some trial and error, and take a little step forward each time.

Welcome to ABW
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Presuming you already have an affiliate program in place, and need to find affiliate partners to market/sell you software. The right way to do this is located here:
    http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/

If you don't have an affiliate program in place and need to get one that will be trusted by most affiliates the right place to start will be here:
    http://www.ShareaSale.com

As a merchant there are some things you can and should do, and a lot of things you shouldn't do. This is a good place to get started on learning the do's and don't
    http://forum.abestweb.com/search.php?searchid=916132

You don't go somewhere to find affiliates -- you go everywhere to find affiliates. You won't get lots of successful affiliates by merely joining an affiliate network -- indeed, the networks won't bring you very many "quality" affiliates themselves, though you may get some folks who can generate some sales.

You get quality affiliates by actively recruiting. Use Google to identify appropriate sites -- based on content keywords, based on audience, based on links to other sites, based on links from other sites. Then, actually go look at those sites, identify the right contact method, and try to reach the site owner. Maybe 30% of the time, you'll come up with valid contact info quickly; another 30% of the time, you'll never figure out who owns the site nor how to contact anyone. Don't look "beyond the site" (e.g. at WHOIS data) until you've verified that there really is no contact info at the site, which can require looking at a bunch of pages.

If the site says they don't carry advertising, don't solicit them to join your affiliate program.

Don't spam. Don't send form emails. Personalize the emails; explain the connection between your program and the site. Be concise; don't use "hype" or sales language.

When you do send out emails, don't expect lots of replies. Half of your emails will actually never be read by anyone -- the email will be filtered, or the address will be invalid, or the recipient will skim headlines and delete the emails unread. There will be many sites, and probably at least one or two of the sites you identify as your "top 10 prospects," where you will never, ever be able to reach a human being.

For serious prospective affiliates, follow up with "real" mail (a letter or tangible sample). And use the telephone. In some cases, you'll actually take the webmaster to lunch.

Certainly, place an ad (at least a new program announcement) here on ABW, and make sure you submit your site to get listed on various "affiliate program directories" like AssociatePrograms.com. (It's probably not worthwhile to pay for listings in any directories, certainly not on the really expensive sites like AffiliatePrograms.com.)

Never, ever post promotional messages on forums that prohibit commercial postings (or, like ABW, which restrict such posts to the paid announcements forum).

Recruiting affiliates is hard, and it's expensive (either in time or in money). It takes lots of time and effort. It may pay off, or it may feel like a horrible failure. If you don't do it, your program will probably fail. If you treat it as one of 50 tasks to be done this month, it won't work. If you delegate it to a junior-level employee (or worse, hire an intern to do it), it will blow up completely.

ABW Ambassador
    Have a GOOD program and they will find you.

Affs are really a strange animal and very difficult to hunt. They come in all sizes and shapes too, so its important that you have alot of different types of ammo in your pack. Sometimes, I've seen them grazing together in an open field, but usually they thrive in the thick underbrush and are somewhat nocturnal. I have some great trophies that I'm really proud of, but they have a tendency to get away if you don't put a blindfold on them. I've also learned that when they do form in a group, they drink an amber potion and celebrate by dancing and singing in some form of strange ritual (in part I think to bring additional luck and fortune). But, if you do anything to harm them, be warned that the whole herd may turn and attack. An opportunity to view them together will happen once again, in the everglades near Miami in a couple of weeks.

1av8r! Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    google
    google is the devil. never use them.

A friend of mine was looking for affiliates using the web. Many of the places didn't have information. He asked buddies, coworkers and networked around the web a bit. He said he wasn't having much luck and he tried buyin ads and that didn't work. Finding a way to communicate with affiliates was harder than he thought it would be. I dropped him some subtle hints and he found them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    A friend of mine was looking for affiliates using the web. Many of the places didn't have information. He asked buddies, coworkers and networked around the web a bit. He said he wasn't having much luck and he tried buyin ads and that didn't work. Finding a way to communicate with affiliates was harder than he thought it would be. I dropped him some subtle hints and he found them.

http and a telephoto
    Another *new* thread asking the same question that has been asked time and time again here. Newbs don't like the search button apparently.

and be sure to read the Magic Bullet link in my sig... that will give you a place to start at least.

(and you found the best place. use the advertising link above)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by 1av8r
    Affs are really a strange animal and very difficult to hunt. They come in all sizes and shapes too, so its important that you have alot of different types of ammo in your pack. Sometimes, I've seen them grazing together in an open field, but usually they thrive in the thick underbrush and are somewhat nocturnal. I have some great trophies that I'm really proud of, but they have a tendency to get away if you don't put a blindfold on them. I've also learned that when they do form in a group, they drink an amber potion and celebrate by dancing and singing in some form of strange ritual (in part I think to bring additional luck and fortune). But, if you do anything to harm them, be warned that the whole herd may turn and attack. An opportunity to view them together will happen once again, in the everglades near Miami in a couple of weeks.
    Perfect Videos may or may not be available in the weeks following the herd gathering.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    OK I just spent 2 full minutes reading Mack's post trying to figure it out even though I KNEW what it said

Everyone is right. I am late and lazy so I just agree with everyone else.

Good program. Pay up... be known...sleep less and work more...

Go get them but 10 times more important is KEEPING THEM!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Good program. Pay up... be known...sleep less and work more...

Go get them but 10 times more important is KEEPING THEM!
    Yup, for a tired brain you done good Getting them is actually easier than keeping them.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by 1av8r
    Affs are really a strange animal and very difficult to hunt. ... An opportunity to view them together will happen once again, in the everglades near Miami in a couple of weeks.
    Actually, it's next week (after just returning from vacation I'm still on last week...)

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hire a am that has been around for a few years that has been an am for a few programs as he will have a great list of prospective affiliates for you.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

The best way is to keep your program allive n kicking. I have not found a superaffiliate but a super affiliate has found us. The key was, I responded the fastest, most detailed when they asked me something. You do the same its a slow but a steady way!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Affiliate Manager
    Use Google, look for sites within your niche and contact them. If you feel your company will work with their site, then ask them if they want to be your affiliate. Pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Presuming you already have an affiliate program in place, and need to find affiliate partners to market/sell you software. The right way to do this is located here:
    http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/
    Outside of the $75 Initial announcement, can anyone share their success with advertising here? I'm sure it is positive for everyone, but what offer there has provided the best ROI and/or signed up the most affiliates?

thank you

Would any one agree that it’s not just about having a good affiliate program? Surely you can have the best affiliate program in the world but if the website does not convert then no amount of referred traffic or direct traffic is going to work. A good converting website and a good affiliate program… affiliates will find you but I would also invest in a little aff recruitment with regards to strategic key partners. I agree with markwelch and Merchant Consultant Team combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree74
    Use Google, look for sites within your niche and contact them. If you feel your company will work with their site, then ask them if they want to be your affiliate. Pretty simple
    I get tons of people wanting to be on my site, wanting links etc so when those types of recruiting emails come in I delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I get tons of people wanting to be on my site, wanting links etc so when those types of recruiting emails come in I delete them.
    Connie,

don't delete me, plllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeeeee.......

ok seriously, if you are going to do personal recruitment letter, make sure they are personal and not a form letter you have very every possible site that might be a fit....don't waste the webmasters time or your own......

@flamingoworld. Why do you delete recruiting mails? Because of the amount you recieve or because the content? I have good experiences writing to specific affiliates with a custom designed offer.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind recruiting emails that are helpful. Remind me of your niche, return days, commission structure. If you are truly parasite free, please tell me. Include some of your creatives, an active link to your site AND what network runs your program. You'd be surprised at the folks who forget to tell me where to sign up! If you routinely have coupons, sales and specials like free shipping, that's helpful.

Also if you only approve affiliates with huge traffic thresholds tell me, so I don't waste your time and mine. Let me know the deal busters etc.

But I do put time aside every day for this type of stuff. I don't delete anybody automatically.

15 years and counting
    I second what Aunt Lily is saying. No problem with recruiting emails that are helpful. Pretty often I'm receiving offers and there's no link to sign up. I don't even know the network or if they have their own tracking. It's a waste of time and I'm fast to hit the delete button.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast