Datafeeds vs Amazon
    Could anyone explain to a newbie in shopping affiliate marketing:

Why to deal with datafeeds and face all those issues (category discrepancies, updates, etc) when it is so much easier to add Amazon affiliate store to your website? The fee structure is nearly the same (you get 4-8%), but you avoid all those problems plus offer products in association with top online store that visitors trust.

Where am I wrong?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The datafeeds I deal with pay me about 20%....

Some people might be doing comparisons and mashing up two lists. Or some other filtering or combining that they cant get on amazon.

Plus why only promote amazon?

Sometimes less competition on the smaller, more difficult to work with niches....

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by slava75
    Why to deal with datafeeds and face all those issues (category discrepancies, updates, etc) when it is so much easier to add Amazon affiliate store to your website?
    Funny you should ask, as I was just looking at the Amazon affiliate store links yesterday. It looks easy to add categories and products, but I'm not sure how best to integrate that into a blog.

I mean, it would feel odd to just have a link that takes people directly to a shopping store, or to a datafeed-based storefront.

So here's a related question regardless of whether you decide to use a datafeed or Amazon: how do you move casual readers and information seekers into shoppers? If you have a tools blog, then would you just have a link in the sidebar margin that reads something like "Shop for Tools" ?

So here's a related question regardless of whether you decide to use a datafeed or Amazon: how do you move casual readers and information seekers into shoppers? If you have a tools blog, then would you just have a link in the sidebar margin that reads something like "Shop for Tools" ?
    i run Amazon affiliate stores on my blogs - i integrate them into my content with product categories, bestsellers, new arrivals, etc displayed on every content page. added to that i have a separate shopping area.

Can you be a little more specific regarding how you integrate the affiliate stores into your content? Do you have links in your text titled "Shop for XYZ" or what mechanism do you use to integrate?

(just trying to get a better picture what you mean)

in page sidebars i run something like this:

WATCH DEALS

NEW WATCH ARRIVALS

BUY WATCH BY CATEGORY

* Women Watches
    * Men Watches
    * Children Watches
    * Accessories

BUY WATCH BY BRAND

* Armani
    * Anne Klein
    * Armitron
    * Baume & Mercier
    * Breitling
    * Bulova
    * Calvin Klein
    * Cartier
    * Casio
    * Charriol
    * Chase-Durer
    * Citizen
    * Columbia
    * Cross
    * Croton
    * Diesel
    * Disney
    * DKNY

Thanks - that helps me picture it much better!

Was it easy to integrate Amazon's pages into your website template?

just using amazon or any other single store is certainly easier. And most shoppers trust amazon, so thats a plus too...
    But other stores may have better pricing, better commisions, or just having a variety of stores promoted may be useful for your readers. Also you never know when amazon will cut commissions, or try to screw ya, and their cookie duration is the poop.

You might also have a look at David Cusimano's scripts, including Associates Engine for Amazon, to integrate Amazon or other data into your content. There's a Cusimano Scripts forum right here on ABW.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I'm not sure how best to integrate that into a blog.

I'm not sure about incorporating datafeeds into blogs.
    I'm not used to using datafeeds yet (how does one learn how to use them in an affiliate setting?)

Anyway, specific product links work well in blogs.
    I put Amazon product links in the side of my blog, but recently I had trouble with dynamic code in my Blogger blog (the sidebar sank to the bottom in IE but not in Firefox).

The great thing about blogs is that each new entry can have its own individual title and label tags. I've noticed that some search engines have picked up the labels I use (great way to generate organic traffic).

I try to create some blog entries that are just written to interest and/or entertain visitors and then an alternate entry might be devoted to a product of interest. My blogs have different "flavors." One of my blog does well as a "showcase" (in a sense) for products where text links (to products I select as an affiliate) do well in another that is more "information oriented."

Within any blog, alternate the style (of your posting--i.e. an information rich post, a post that centers around a product link w/ pic, a combo etc.) to keep visitors interested.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Anyway, specific product links work well in blogs.
    I put Amazon product links in the side of my blog, but recently I had trouble with dynamic code in my Blogger blog (the sidebar sank to the bottom in IE but not in Firefox).
    I've just started setting up 1 column by 6-10 row Popshops, then dropping them into sidebars on blogs. I'm eager to see how that might work out. I really find Popshops easy and fun to use -- and much quicker than my limited PHP knowledge -- though I'm starting to "get it" with PHP and datafeeds.
    Generate more fake news.

Gary, that sounds like a really good idea.

What do you use to create your blogs? I have a feeling you might use WordPress.
    I became hesitant about trying WordPress when I read the possible (affiliate related) complications that might occur:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=81227

My host offers a version of WordPress, but I'm not sure if it has the flexibility (and all the plug-ins etc.) of one created independently on one's server.
    I tried to create one, but complications interfered in its success.

I've used Blogger since 2001 and I still like it.

What kind of coding is used by Popshops?
    I had a problem when viewed in IE with a "chunk" of dynamic javascript coding in the Blogger blog sidebar (the sidebar would sink). I expanded the pixels of the outer frame, the content, and the sidebar, so now I might try "complicated code" again to see if it might work now in IE.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread