Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    ATTN: Oranges - Cow ticketed for excessive mooing
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I'm not sure what's unusual or funny about the case. Some neighbors are upset that a farmer's cow is making noise all night long, and constitutes a "nuisance." In most states, the farmer would be required to reduce the noise so that it is no longer a nuisance; in this particular case, it appears that the farmer is being asked to move the cow's pen to a location more distant from his neighbors.

I must admit that when I was studying in law school, this was one of the issues that I found surprising. Specifically, it does not matter that the farmer may have been running his farm exactly the same way for 50 years, and the neighboring farm was sold and subdivided for homes. The fact that the suburban folk who bought the houses knew that there was a farm next door does NOT stop them from suing if the odor or noise are excessive, even though the same odor or noise would not have been excessive if their land were still used as a farm. As a public policy, it seems unfair to the farmer -- he must change the way he works to accommodate the needs of newcomers. (Of course, in practice, it usually turns out that it was the farmer himself, or his parents, who sold the land that was subdivided, and perhaps the farmer removed the cows for a year while the houses were being sold....)

ABW Ambassador
    It gets worse!

California Cows Fail Latest Emissions Test

Dairy cows in the San Joaquin Valley, California, produce more smog-forming gases than cars, according to local air quality regulators. The region's dairy industry currently includes some 2.5 million cattle.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I'm not sure what's unusual or funny about the case.
    Legalities aside, I think this is funny:

So they called the police department. And when officers showed up they ticketed Hylle and her cow for excessive mooing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Maybe the cow is afraid of the dark and needs a nightlight to quiet her. It doersn't seem anyone has any problem with the mooing cow in the afternoon.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread