More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    So What Do I Do? Bid $10 per click?
    All of my keywords are tagged with a $10 per click minimum in AdWords. They may as well just shut down the ad cause I am not going to pay that kind of money for any ad.

So what should I do? Delete the campaign and do a new one?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Did this just start today on your ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Did this just start today on your ads?
    I only noticed this today. This was a pretty low-profile low-budget site so I was not monitoring it closely.

I did delete the campaign and started a new one and the exact same thing happened. I think they have a bug in their program. When I do a search with the keywords, barely any ads show up.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    It's the ole Google Slap. There was a recent one a few weeks ago I believe that affected many. Not sure if that's the one that got you or what. I got nailed the first time with it killing 80% of my ads.

Usually, this reflects a problem with Quality Score; the "Google Slap" occurs when they tweak the algorithm that computes the quality score. Check to see if your keywords have a "Poor" quality score. If so, work on optimizing your ad text and landing pages to match the keywords, and you should be able to push your quality score to "great." (You may need to split your campaigns into many more ad groups, and create many more landing pages.)

If your keywords already have a "Great" quality score, then I've got no advice.

It makes no sense whatsoever!

3 ads (total) are running for one of the keywords I bid on. I have no choice but to take my business to MSN, which I will.

The only ones they are slapping are themselves if this is intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Usually, this reflects a problem with Quality Score; the "Google Slap" occurs when they tweak the algorithm that computes the quality score. Check to see if your keywords have a "Poor" quality score. If so, work on optimizing your ad text and landing pages to match the keywords, and you should be able to push your quality score to "great." (You may need to split your campaigns into many more ad groups, and create many more landing pages.)

If your keywords already have a "Great" quality score, then I've got no advice.
    I completely changed the ad text to better match the keywords. No improvement.

$10 clicks sounds like a bug. Maybe try to contact support or just wait it out.

My problem is that adwords wants me to pay a fixed amt. to send clicks to my (keyword.com) site. ...say .50
    And it lists me 1st or 2nd. fine

But say I don't want to spend .50 and show up 1st?
    If I bid .49, my ads don't show. Why can't I bid .25 and show up 5th or 7th, etc?
    there are a lot of listings for my keyword

i don't think it's a bug at all, it seems like you've been marked as an affiliate bridge, which is not in their game plan currently. Personally i don't like or agree with it, since it was the affiliates that made g such a profitable business ...imho

the only thing i think you can do is somehow improve the quality score.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Mark made some good points. I know that back in January I suddenly saw 23 adgroups get slapped. I didn't panic, and didn;t lose my cool. Instead, I called a G rep, talked to them about the sudden change, got proper information and then split my KW's into highly relevant groups, tweaked the ads and bingo - Great QS down the board, higher placement and lower cost per click.

I would highly recommend going directly to the source via a phone call. That way you can get the facts surrounding the slap and go from there. An old business mentor of mine back in the mid seventies always advised me that when I had a problem, talk to the source of the problem as they are the only ones who can do anything about it. That advise has always served me well, and I think it will you also.

Good luck.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    advised me that when I had a problem, talk to the source of the problem as they are the only ones who can do anything about it. That advise has always served me well, and I think it will you also.

Good luck.
    Good advice. I think it works well anywhere, except a marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    i don't think it's a bug at all, it seems like you've been marked as an affiliate bridge, which is not in their game plan currently. Personally i don't like or agree with it, since it was the affiliates that made g such a profitable business ...imho

the only thing i think you can do is somehow improve the quality score.
    What is an "affiliate bridge"?

I don't even have any affiliate links on this homepage nor is my ad even directly connected with affiliate sales. It's an advertisement for a crafts contest. I am hoping to get people to enter and allow me to post their craft ideas on my site. My ad is about crafts, my keywords are about crafts, and my site is about crafts.

I will contact them as suggested.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    What is an "affiliate bridge"?

I don't even have any affiliate links on this homepage nor is my ad even directly connected with affiliate sales.
    Sounds like your affiliate links are on other pages. That might be enough for Google.

Are you sending all your G PPC to your homepage? That might be it too. Usually people get better QS with linking to interior pages.

You need to turn on the quality score so that you can see it on the keywords page. It has to be displaying Poor to get the elevated minimum bids.

The quality score is based upon how well your ad is matched to the receiving page. You don't just change the ad text to match the keywords; you need to change the receiving page to better match the keywords. Even when you match the ad very closely with the receiving page, it can sometimes take over a month for the Poor rating to disappear for that keyword.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quality score is (likely) based on a lot more than basic onsite factors such as keywords, aff links, etc.
    Such as user behaviour.
    http://www.seobythesea.com/?p=717

Wink
    Try bidding an outrageous bid such as $80. This doesn't mean you'll pay $80 a click but simply that you are willing to. Once you get a high enough CTR (by being within pos 1-3) you can decrease your bid as your quality score will be higher.

(removed sig)
    Last edited by Trust; July 17th, 2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: no manually added sigs

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread