Marketocracy.com
    I had never heard of Marketocracy.com before the LinkShare Summit, but the keynote speaker mentioned it in passing so I looked it up. I'm impressed!

Basically, it's a community where people can manage their own virtual mutual funds for free. They have over 50,000 people running virtual funds.

But here's where it gets interesting. They keep track of the best investors, and once a month they select the top 100. They have an algorithm that tries to pick the truly good investors rather than just the ones that happened to be lucky. They consolidate those 100 top portfolios into a single portfolio (which they call the m100) once a month, and that portfolio has outperformed the general market by a fairly good factor. They offer a mutual fund (MOFQX) which uses that consolidated portfolio.

I'm a huge fan of algorithmic investing (another algorithmic fund I like is HFCGX), and this is certainly fits the bill. To me, it's like having 50,000 investors researching ideas and automatically investing the way the 100 best ones would invest.

I'm always looking for places to invest (no, please don't spam me), and I figure there are others here who do the same.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael

I will have to look into this when I have the time. I am not a big fan of mutual funds though.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I moved this to the Web 2.0 forum, since Marketocracy is a great example of a Web 2.0 site (albeit not an affiliate-based one).

I thought it was interesting that in Don Tapscott's keynote address at the LinkShare symposium, I don't think any of the Web 2.0 successes that he mentioned were affiliate sites. I kept hoping he would bring it around to affiliate marketing and give some insight how Web 2.0 sites and affiliate marketing could be brought together, but he never did. Still, he had some good stuff to say.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Have you invested in any of the models found there? Where on the site do you get the actual breakdown of each mutual fund's positions?

The ones on the site are virtual mutual funds. You can't buy them. I think you have to join to see the holdings of specific virtual mutual funds.

The MOFQX fund (a real one) is the one modeled after the best portfolios.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread