Using a toolbar w affiliate links
    Hello All,

I am not sure where this question should be posted so I apologize in advance if this is off topic.

I am interested in building a toolbar for a small group of people that would have some affiliate links from CJ LS etc in it. I have tried 1 piece of software but I am not getting credit for the links. The clicks get logged but not the transactions.

Has anyone create thier own toolbars?

Thanks
    Andy

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I think I hear cannons being loaded in the distance... on both sides....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Are you going to use the toolbar to save babies, save souls, save the earth, save endangered animals, end all wars or just feed/cure the masses?

What's the do-gooder robe this thief plans to wear?

I am not sure I understand the previous messages but here is a little more info on what I am trying to accomplish. I have setup a website w/ affiliate links to get commisions for the online purchase my family makes. The funds I receive from these are used to help pay for 2 charities we as a family currently support. As a thought on how to get more of my family to consistly remember to go thru our site before making online purchase I thought a toolbar may work. The software package I am using is easy to setup but the few test purchase I have used thru it I am not getting credit for, but I am getting credit from these same affiliates on other days, presumably from the links on the website.

I have not gotten any good advice from the software co. So I thought maybe someone else has already done this & can offer some suggestions.

I have read some of the posts here about the negative sides of toolbars but the basic options I am using & with the very limited user base I am not worried about these problems.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    Andy

Why don't you just ask your user base to make a certain web page their default start page in their browser and then run a script in an invisible frame that forces clicks to the merchants you want to monetize (aka cookie cannon)? It'd be far easy than a toolbar, wouldn't slow their computers down nearly as much with the app's monitoring overhead, can be updated without installing anything to each machine and would provide the exact same value to the (commission paying) merchants that you're currently providing...

I'm not sure why any merchant would want to partner with you no matter which route you take, but you already said you're not worried about that.

Thanks for the reply. The use of a homepage was my original method & some have adopted it. Other like to have their homepage a custom google, MSN Comcast etc page. My thought is that for those users a toolbar could be another constant reminder to use the site. I know some users may also have a favorite toolbar (Google, MSN etc) but I am going on the assumption that the more options you give people the more people you'll reach.

As for your comment about "I'm not sure why any merchant would want to partner with you" what is your basis for this statment? What are the downsides to my approach other than a small potential customer base? If I get user X to use Walmart (1 of my accounts) instead of Target (not 1 of of mine) isn't this a postive for Walmart?

Thanks
    Andy

Have you been doing this for a long time?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Remember when abw had the ability to automatically change a word - type in a certain person's name or a certain network, and it would automatically change to something else...

I vote the word "toolbar" should automatically change to "I steal from my fellow affiliates"

Mack,

I have had my affiliate link site for about 2.5 years. It does not generate much money but I did it more to see how it all worked & if it would work. I now better understand why all I read about the charity mall model was so bad. So far it covers about half of what ideally I want it to.

Billy Kay,

How do I find the threads about this? I am interested in learning more about what you are referring to.

Thanks
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by amurray
    How do I find the threads about this? I am interested in learning more about what you are referring to.
    Thanks
    Andy
    Start here.

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

Quote Originally Posted by amurray
    If I get user X to use Walmart (1 of my accounts) instead of Target (not 1 of of mine) isn't this a postive for Walmart?
    No, because they were going shopping there anyhow. You just want to butt into the process and earn a commission for referring the shopper (you didn't refer them, they're going there on their own). You didn't do anything for the merchant, but you want to be paid. Can you see why the merchants may not be thrilled with that business proposition?

Mack,

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. This explain more why I saw questions about Adaware, Spybot S&D etc when researching toolbar software. I'll have to think more about the options.

Donuts,

I see your point but I see the benefits as:
    1 in my example I got Walmart a sale that was going to goto Target.
    2 I pass on coupons, deals, signup bonuses that I am emailed as in affiliate. Most of my family has tried several photo developement co because of my emails suggesting they take advantage of the x free prints. I see this as added exposure to the photo companies.

Thanks
    Andy

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread