More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The Butterfly Effect, Applied To Affiliate Marketing
    The Butterfly Effect, as described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect in essence states that a very tiny change in initial conditions can result in a great system change. In weather, this is very applicable since weather can only be modeled by a very complex system of differential equations. So, an oil fire burning in the Middle East can cause enough disruption in the atmosphere to change weather far away (see http://www.breskin.com/oilfires.htm ).

Human behavior, I would contend, is about as complex as the weather. So a tiny change in a website can (possibly) result in a cascading effect. I have to keep telling myself this over and over when a site that I thought would be just fantastic goes nowhere. It just needs fine tuning. At some point, the correct combination of ingredients is obtained to make things work.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Great advice.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    As I was taught in my Animal Behavior class in college, human behavior is far too complex to predict reliably although it is possible to spot trends in mass behavior, which varies by gender, nationality, culture, economic group, occupation, ethnic group, religion etc.

A very interesting book to read on the subject is The Tipping Point.

The premise of this facile piece of pop sociology has built-in appeal: little changes can have big effects; when small numbers of people start behaving differently, that behavior can ripple outward until a critical mass or "tipping point" is reached, changing the world. Gladwell's thesis that ideas, products, messages and behaviors "spread just like viruses do" remains a metaphor as he follows the growth of "word-of-mouth epidemics" triggered with the help of three pivotal types. These are Connectors, sociable personalities who bring people together; Mavens, who like to pass along knowledge; and Salesmen, adept at persuading the unenlightened.
    --Publishers Weekly Review

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I know I have made very small changes in ad copy that had dramatic effects. In some cases, I was able to identify why the change had impact, but in others I could not. So I am suspecting the small change triggered a series of emotions and/or reactions.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Do also remember if you subscribe to that form of thinking, that your small change can cause a a great effect but it does not mean you should always expect a better outcome. It is not a win/win situation, it can go either way.

Internet Cowboy
    As for PPC, this is a perfect example of why you should have a half dozen or more ads for one item. Something totally insignificant to me can mean the world to the shopper, making a difference of me making a sale or not. This makes it not so insignificant to me

This is one of the things about PPC that gives me the greatest challenge is coming up with multiple ads that are not alike but all basically say the same thing.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread