What You Don't Know May Hurt You
    I know that most people don't think a lot of Scott and Steven Richter and OptInRealBig/Media Breakaway, but Steven's sessions at the Affiliate Summit are always one of the highlights for me. I find his sessions to be a great way to keep on top of what the bad players are doing, what the government is doing about it , what is coming, how it might affect normal affiliates, and what we can do to stay ahead of the curve.

He'll have a session next week at the Affiliate Summit, and the presentation is online now:

http://www.affiliatesummit.com/2007e...y-Hurt-You.pdf
    Looks like some really great stuff.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    To skirt the law, you must know it's edges in great detail. No doubt that they are experts there.

And of course, MC, you're right about learning by observing / listening to those you may have no intention of following / imitating / copying. Affiliate Summit has lots of those types of situation - hell, I can sit and have lunch with BHO folks - there's no place else on earth that I can see that happening. It is kind of weird to me that way, but I've learned a lot by going for sure. If someone wants to argue about ethics, I'm up for it - but my purpose in being there is primarily socializing and learning, not to convince anyone there to change their behavior (though I wish many would).

Lastly, these are very smart people. They do give decent presentations as well, I've attended them too. And it is good to hear from experts, even if just to gain comfort knowing how far from trouble your own practices may be.

I wonder if they'll be talking about the case that broke public at the last Aff Summit that involves Scott. I haven't had an update in months and wonder if that move was truly myspace getting some press at the time to fight off attention that was focused on another issue they (myspace) had at the time.

(by the way, I am not a lawyer nor am I accusing anyone of breaking the law, skirting it means coming to rest right on the edge of it at times, but not breaking it.)

ABW Ambassador
    "I wonder if they'll be talking about the case that broke public at the last Aff Summit that involves Scott."

Somebody should ask them. It's mentioned in the wikipedia but no updates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Richter

Even if you're not anywhere near skirting the law, the laws passed to fight the scumbags of the world can still affect you. Just look at CAN-SPAM. People with legitimate double opt-in newsletters were affected far worse than the spammers. Sure, there have been a few high-profile cases, but for the most part the spammers continue with impunity.

Just from looking through the presentation, it looks like there's stuff about CAN-SPAM, continuity programs (vs. negative option), advertising guidelines, the word "FREE", disclosures, etc. Those are areas where almost all of us can learn. For affiliates in any of these "border" areas, something like this is even more essential: bulk email, gambling, toolbars, incentive sites, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, adult content, and ion drugs.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread