There has been a lot of discussion about sites that are using software products that re-direct traffic from your site to theirs and they capture the sale. Updates are now being made to recognize affiliate links so that traffic is not re-directed and sales lost.

Merchants and anyone else paying for search engines should still have concerns about these re-direct products. If a customer comes to a site via a search engine is it fair that they are redirected away from that site only to come back with an their ID associated with the URL? For one sale I could end up paying both the search engine and the affiliate commission. Depending on how competitive the key word was that the customer used in to find the site the costs for this one sale have been increased significantly. In this scenario I am now paying for the cost of the search engine that the partner should have incurred. It was my understanding that the affiliate commissions were supposed to help cover the marketing costs that an affiliate incurred to generate sales for my site. I want to give credit where credit is due, but I certainly don’t want to be paying for both the search engine and the affiliate commission for one sale.

Please let me know you thoughts on this.

Noel Sommers
    Program Manager
    GiftCertificates.com
    NSommers@GiftCertificates.com
    (402) 951-4129

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants have to screen affiliates more carefully so they don't let affiliates with this type of software into their program.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

Don't affiliates have an obligation to communicate that they are going to begin using this type of software? Some partners that are using this software added the software to their site after the partnership was formulated.

- Noel

I agree. If it wasn't for this message board, I might have signed up a few bad ones. Thanks for keeping the content fresh. It makes a big difference.

Brian
    expresscopy.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It makes sense when selling Giftcertificates for your merchant list to EXCLUDE and refuse to pay all "incent" affiliates in your Terms of Service (TOS). Loyality shopping clubs using BHO "incent" popups will turn your domain into a $$$ off coupon popup hell. Inform your merchants to pressure their favorite parasite to eliminate your domain from their list. Double dipping your own PPCSE keywords is part of the game!

OVERTURE BILL $647.00 for 10 sales

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

GC brings up a good point against parasite ware.

They got pressure because they divert affiliate commission by overwriting affiliate links.
    Thousands of affiliates/publisher out there do not like that and complain about it.

A lot of Parasite Ware companies were forced to do something about it.

But nobody is talking about the PPCSE's.
    That's a good point to get merchants into the boat against the Parasite Ware.

The merchant has 2 options.

1. Not going with Parasite Ware as Affiliates and rely on pre-selling affiliates, search engine optimization and PPCSE

2. Work with parasite ware affiliates and stop all other online advertising to avoid to pay twice.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread