Affiliate Marketing Pill
    The lack of an affiliate marketing magic bullet has been pretty well established, but maybe we can turn to our friends at Glaxo, Pfizer, etc to help out. I mean, there's a sea of would be marketers joining the swelling ranks of affiliate hopefulls every day, but so many will never reach their goals.

Wouldn't it be great if AMs could just send out bottles of Affmax, Commissucor or Promopeak to new affiliates as a 'welcome' to the program gift? Rather than actually marketing, affiliates could just pop the pill and commissions would roll in. Commissions slow down, pop another pill. Content would write itself, sales copy would convert like crazy and traffic would fall out of the sky.

Affiliate marketing would no longer involve marketing at all. Just sign up, pop a pill and BOOM, you're rich!

It'd be fantastic!

All sarcasm aside, is marketing becoming outmoded?

I see a lot of generic mall sites, coupon directories, etc, a lot of copied and pasted merchant descriptions on pages titled "merchant name" and targeting "merchant name", "merchant name bargains", "merchant name coupons", "merchant name shopping", "merchant name online", etc at genericmall.com/merchant_name.html and I wonder where the affiliate is adding value.

Sure, if you list 1000 merchants and get even a few decent positions for a few merchant names (or take a short cut and PPC the name), you can make a packet, but is it marketing, or just reaping the residuals of the merchants' own marketing efforts?

Call me a dinosaur, but what happened to adding value to the relationship? As an affiliate, I've always felt my job was to generate business for the merchant - new business - from channels they may not be as efficient at utilizing (the Internet). To do that, I market.

I research, write content, work SEO, tweak and re-tweak PPC campaigns, build community, work on branding my sites, heck, I even work offline marketing angles. I may know nothing about the product when I start, but I learn it, learn about the customers and use that knowledge to market and sell sell sell. As a merchant, I'd like to work with me.

Still, I might be tempted to try the pill if it ever came out. Be nice to get rich and stay rich doing absolutely nothing...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Still, I might be tempted to try the pill if it ever came out. Be nice to get rich and stay rich doing absolutely nothing...
    Here's the ad for that pill:
    (Showing scenes of people swimming in pools outside mega mansions)
    "This great pill will ensure a neverending stream of wealth!"*
    Side effects include aneurysm, insomnia, mood changes, hives, kidney failure, heart arrythmia, and sudden death.

Do not take if you currently are using: Caffeine, nicotine, aspirin, tylenol, any blood pressure medication, or have a history of allergies to any substance.

Ask your doctor about taking AF***RA today!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Being new its probably not my place to offer the other side of the coin but some "mall" sites do drive traffic to merchants in ways other than generic search or PPC and do in fact bring value in the form of targeted traffic that might not have bought online in the first place.

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    What's that general rule, 5% of your affiliates generate 95% of revenues? Not to say that the other 95% of affiliates all have low-potential sites, but a good number of them do. So let's say for the sake of argument 60% are low-potential sites (malls, banner farms, mass coupon listings, etc.)

You have to figure that more and more people are adopting and getting involved in affiliate marketing everyday. The number of affiliate sites are growing. So...60% of that growth are going to be low-potential sites. In other words, we'll see more and more of them

Also....no one starts out as an expert. The easiest thing to do is just list some categories and slap up some banners and coupons. Granted, a good number of these people will get discouraged and give up when the millions they've been told are possible don't come rolling in.....but some will learn....improve....and build better sites. All of those old low-potential sites that people give up on....stay around....until the hosting contract runs out at least

And one more point....brand exposure. Everyone in the world knows who and what Coca-cola is. Everyone pretty much knows where they can go to buy a coke if they want one. But...does this make Coke reduce or limit their advertising? Noo....because the more we SEE Coke....the more we are exposed to it....the more we are reminded....increases the possibility that we'll purchase a coke.

I think the same holds true on the web. Even if a brand or merchant is being promoted on some mall site or banner farm....any visitor that goes there and see that ad, or the merchant name...or whatever....it's a reminder. It brings the merchant to the forefront of that person's mind. While they might not click through and make a purchase....from the merchant perspective....branding has been successful.

Low-potential sites will always be around...and there will be growth in their numbers as more people get involved with online marketing. Don't sweat it.....some of those people will learn and improve or build better sites....most won't....but, to those merchants that want maximum brand exposure, these sites do provide (albeit a very small one) a benefit.

Dave
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Eathan, if its any consolation I don't approve sites that look like copies of established sites. There are too many template sites that have the same RSS feeds too! If the site doesn't offer some kind of unique selling proposition I don't accept. Would rather add to the 5% then to the 95% if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Ask your doctor about taking AF***RA today!
    I was going to, but the sudden death part in the fine print threw me.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Being new its probably not my place to offer the other side of the coin but some "mall" sites do drive traffic to merchants in ways other than generic search or PPC and do in fact bring value in the form of targeted traffic that might not have bought online in the first place.
    New or otherwise, you're very welcome to comment.

Please understand however, I'm not bashing mall and coupon sites per ce, but rather affiliates that don't market, don't work to benefit the merchant and don't attempt to generate new business. The ones that get my goat in particular are the brand poachers (and Dave, I think this fits a bit for what you are saying as well).

I'm happy to work with novice affiliates, happy to work with malls, coupon sites, low potential sites, etc. My main beef is with affiliates, some of whom are pros, who do nothing but poach commissions targeting the merchant's own brand. It's a parasitic approach to the relationship and certainly brings nothing to the table.

Chuck, I switched over to manual approval today. I know most sites won't match our product line, but at least I'll be able to get an idea of how they market current offers before accepting.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread