ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Can someone please touch on meta info keywords etc. Should they remain constant from page to page or should each page be tailored with its own unique info. After all the talk about search engines and trying to get pages listed it made me wonder if each page should have keywords and content info updated. None of my info I have browsed through on internet has addressed this issue and I wasn't certain which to use. Browsing through some outdoor sites they all stay the same. Then I happen to look at another major fishing outdoor site and all their info is different on couple pages I checked.
    I used these types as an example because of similarities of my site topic.
    Any ideas or where this may be better addressed?
    Thanks
    WW

I would include meta tags on each page, specific to that page's content and use each page's tags and content to try to target more search phrases - I wouldn't consider that to be 'spamming', just helping search engines to index the entire site rather than just the home page. As long as you are honest with your choice of keywords etc I can't see any harm in this approach.
    It may be that the other sites you are looking at are not targetting search engine traffic - maybe their web address appears in printed ads and brochures, or they have a great listing on yahoo.
    Just my view, could be wrong - I'd like to hear what others think.. :confused:

By the way - this page has some info on preparing your site for search engines, doesn't answer your question though! http://www.selfpromotion.com/pageprep.t

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: clicknasty ]

Yep, keywords should relate to that specific page, don't have too many keywords that are on different topics, vagueness lowers your potential rank I think... I read somewhere that metatags are no longer very useful cause search engines don't place much importance on them anymore, was that a wild rumour?

I believe having the keywords written into the text of your site near the top of the page and in your page title are more important...

Someday I'm going to do something about the keywords, etc on my own pages... but goto is so much easier [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Be sure to also change the HTML "Title" in the Head of each page and be sure you work some of your important keywords from the content on the page into the title. This can do more than the META Tags since many SE's ignore meta, but most all read the HTML title line.

Yes, they should be different on EVERY page. But I wouldn't worry about meta too much. What you should look out for is the CONTENT on those pages. Make sure you have a lot of keywords in the content of the pages. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Don't do it like the dinningware.com guy though. Have full meaningfull sentences with keywords in them.

I'll just add one thing to what has been said already, do NOT use invisible text, ie. text the same color as the background, this got me kicked off quite a few search engines last year including Google. It took a load of grovelling to get back.

That's what I meant with the "dinningware.com guy "

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    An old post, but I thought I'd bump it up. After reading this in 2001, I realized that my software was including the same keywords on every page of my mall site.... ( smacks forehead on desk ) ... DOH!!!!

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Funny thing is that I have pretty much stopped using meta tags all together except for "title". I know that with Google™ (ALL Hail to it's Glory!) it matters not, at least for the most part, as I have seen meta descriptions posted off and on. I've used a simple freebee located at Site-Up Promotions™ since the dawn of time and it does the job well. I don't think the "revisit after" tag is worth a can of worms as I don't think any search engine is going to spider a site when you dictate it to. Meta Tag descriptions are used in many various engines, so do the "keywords" to a lessor extent. I think too much is given on their importance for the current era. Still, I'm sure it would not hurt to use them as they are a pretty standard practice. Back when I was new, a couple years ago I used this checker at Scrub the Web™ religiously. It did help I must say.

The title tag is VERY important to google. Inktomi is not down and out yet and I believe they are still using metatags, including keywords, as are some of the more insignificant engines. For the extra few minutes it takes to do your tags I think it is still time well spent.

Also, Google has been using my meta description a lot more lately. I'm glad to see this. Sometimes when they pull text from the page they come up with the strangest results that make no sense to the search term.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Again I have no third party to back up what I'm about to say as I have come to this conclusion on my own.

I think that certain search engines hold more credence to certain aspects of a page's constuction differently on any given month. One thing I notice is that hordes of folks keep changing their format to reflect what the "flavor of the month" is for the current month. The only problem with this is whatever the current flavor is, it almost certainly will not be the same a month from now. If the engine kept the algo more or less the same, it would just be an academic matter on figuring out how to get your site(s)to rank well. I think a number of SEO "Gurus" really can't see the forest for the trees as they claim they know "absolute" ways to ensure a site receives prominent ranking. This is BS in my opinion as algos constantly change, so in essence there really is no "figuring out" even possible with any meaningful search engine.

I think that the algo has about a dozen or so formats, and any one of these can be selected as the new flavor on any given month, and albeit when it reappearsn it still will not be exact as it was in it's previous appearance. I think what has helped myself out tremendously is that I DO NOT ever radically alter any of my sites HTML format. I've noticed a site that may be near the top the month prior is deposited a distance down the results in the following month. Yet after a number of months they return to their prior position or a station near to it. I think it can be said to some extent that if something is given extreme credence on a given month, it will be given little or none the following month. This makes sense as the engines use this common behavior (updating formats to reflect current flavor) pattern of would-be SEOs to their advantage. What would be a better way to ensure the highest degree of unbiased and/or unmanipulated results?

In lieu of this, I NEVER alter the format of any given network and find this action to be overlooked by almost everyone. Basically, I strongly believe that if you make enough networks, and format each one to suit a particular "flavor", on any given month your presence should be noticable as you in all likelihood have something to cover the current "flavor".

I think this is extremely important in regards to organic (new term I encountered meaning homegrown)sites.

The keyword tag is nowadays not useless but does not have the importance as years ago.

However, its worth spending the time to create them for every single page. If you have a dynamic, db driven site, generate them on the fly based on the content generated.

Some search engines consider them important, others not or ignore them. Some matchup the keywords with the content of the page within the body and/or the title and description tag.

A good content site with matching keywords, description and title is the key.
    Keep it active, place internal links from related pages and convince other content related and high ranked sites to link to that page and you should be the winner.

Sounds nice in theory, but to get it done is the hard part.

I will pay you $1000 if you have a simple and cheap way to do it, because that wisdom would be worth millions.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread