In keeping with ABW tradition, I thought we should have a Hall of Shame thread to continue the one started last year in the CJ forum. We already have threads on Affiliate Highlights of 2002, and the one about goals for 2003.

So, here are my entries for the Hall of Shame 2002:

eHobbies
    DirecTV
    Rafiello Ties
    Complete Tax
    RestoreClassics.com

I know there are more, but I spend so little time with them lately, I've forgotten them!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I think the winner for this category would be without a doubt Guffy's posters site [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    fogdog.com

Anything Global Sports related

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dell (BF & LS)
    FTD
    Franklin Mint
    eHobbies
    GiftTree
    Computers 4Sure
    B & N
    Ashford
    eBags
    Office Depot
    Furniture Online
    800Flowers
    BonzaiBoys of NY
    Discovery.com
    Lens Express
    Shoebuy
    Buy.com
    eCost
    BabyStyle/eStyle
    Delias*
    Ice.com
    J&R Music
    Smartbargains
    LandsEnd
    Travelocity
    CVS.com
    International Male
    Paul Fredrick
    Ritz camera
    PhotoAlley
    The Golf Warehouse

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Good post. Bogus experiences with these.

All of cj.com's jewelry merchants
    GoCollect.com
    Danita's Designer Handbag Boutique
    Designer Couture House
    Columbus Network
    Forzieri.com
    Computer Surplus Outlet
    eCOST.com eZ Affiliate Program
    NeoComputers
    Chumbo.com
    Music123.com
    FreeStyleShop
    Term.com
    National Contractors.com
    TotalOfficeSupply.Com
    CrapalogCity

If youre lucky enough to get past the miserably cookie durations of these the sale is likely to be reversed anyway (in my experience)
    0shmans
    Online Sports
    **TheSportsAuthority.com
    *DunhamsSports.com
    *Ballystore.com
    *GIJoes.com
    Olympia Sports

GoCollect.com seem to reverse transactions through cj.com in order to promote their inhouse program in my opinion.

Danita's Designer Handbag Boutique and Designer Couture House sent me an email every time I had a transaction with them to say they where reversing the sale because the customer had decided to cancel. I have saved all of those emails and would like to hear from anybody with similar experiences with these.

100% reversals from FreeStyleShop & Term.com

After 2 whole years with cj.com, TotalOfficeSupply.Com have a massive 3 month EPC of 56 cents. Way to build a business.

All of cj.com's jewelry merchants are outright thiefs as are the majority of their computer merchants in my opinion.

ABW Ambassador
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>BagsForLess.com - over 1,700 click-throughs and no sales.<LI>CoolSavings.com - I am disappointed<LI>CycleMallUSA.com - 3.5% and horrible conversion. Most of their links go to error pages[/list]

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

Designer Couture House
    Simply Dresses

Gempler's
    (1200+ clicks & just 2 sales on farm websites!)

Bank One
    (plenty of forms filled out, none qualified, program done now anyway)

Al Gore
    (not running for president now, but I have a feeling he just won't go away) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

CheapAirlines.com

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Watermelon Armageddon:
    Bogus experiences with these.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume all of yours and the longer preceding list by Mike are eBates merchants? (I don't really want to go to their site to read the list, don't want to give them a pv or risk a drive-by install of anything).

I dont know if mine are with ebates or not. All I know is they reverse every transaction that I throw at them with the exception of crapalogcity. Don't get me started about crapalog.

If you dont want to risk a drive-by installs disable your ActiveX controls
    Tools / Internet Options / Security / Custom Level
    Disable, Disable, Disable, Disable.

[This message was edited by Watermelon Armageddon on December 17, 2002 at 05:39 PM.]

AlphaCraze (CJ)
    TheMobileRepublic (CJ)

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

EcomCity, I agree about 800flowers, but giftTree converts for me...

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Watermelon Armageddon:
    If you dont want to risk a drive-by installs disable your ActiveX controls
    Tools / Internet Options / Security / Custom Level
    Disable, Disable, Disable, Disable.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, well actually I have a couple as "prompt" because there are good ones too, so I'm probably safe from that aspect - I just keep hearing how hard they're working at "fixing" the software for months on end now and I figure what they're really working on is better ways to get into new virgin systems.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Had Giftree up for 2 years with 1 sale on 1832 clicks. They and the others on my list represent at least 2 years of promotions. Sometimes I showcase them with custom product displays on high traffic pages to no avail. If you give someone 50-90 clicks a day with no sales for 4 months they are a dead duck. Bonsai Boys was my Top CJ merchant for 3 years. Might be I dropped a hint here last Spring and all the ABWers using PPCSE keywords dried up some traffic on bonsai trees. They only convert at 20% of their old level on increased traffic due to diversionary 800# and a giftregistry service who swaps affiliate ID's.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    AlphaCraze (CJ)
    TheMobileRepublic (CJ)

________
    _Please leave my port 137 alone._<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alphacraze
    ThingsFromAnotherWorld
    eBarf
    A & E Networks (not designs)
    AllPosters.com
    Art.com
    OnResponse.com Network
    FreeSoftwareNow.com

That's my list

1. Provida Life Science (BF)
    well performing, then 80% CR drop virtually over night at the end of 09/2002

2. Alphacraze (CJ, better ex-CJ in 3 days)
    we removed all their 400K+ Links and our Customers didn't even noticed ... ouch

3. TheStitchery.com (CJ)
    reversion of all commissions and termination of affiliate relationship without contacting us, because violating one of their rules, what we did not.

4. All Merchants who have a datafeed (particularly CJ Merchants), but do not know what it is for. I refer to Merchants who have wrong information and links in their feed and stupid (internal) comments in the descriptions which had to be filtered out by us.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

This thread is dangerously misleading unless people take the care to explain the context of their comments.

Witness the fact that I've seen two of my top (&gt;$1000/month commission) merchants listed above as no-hopers.

Of course there are many merchants who have serious - often deliberate - flaws in their affiliate proposition, but we really should distinguish between that and "didn't work for me".

Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuyâ„¢:
    This thread is dangerously misleading unless people take the care to explain the context of their comments.

Witness the fact that I've seen two of my top (&gt;$1000/month commission) merchants listed above as no-hopers.

Of course there are many merchants who have serious - often deliberate - flaws in their affiliate proposition, but we really should distinguish between that and "didn't work for me".

Are you Crazy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would guess you are more than welcome to say who your good merchants are that you are referring to.

Also, you say they are more than 1000 a month?? Ok, how do you know if you wouldnt have made a lot more, assuming that they could be "flawed". Everything is relative. Its just that the "smaller" earners usually notice it first.

I would certainly place Ashford in the Hall of Shame owing to GlobalSports takeover. They made a miserable mess of it.

This, of course, is about to change with the pending sale of Ashford to Diamond.Com which I would place in the 2002 Hall of Fame.

Global is currently holding a "fire sale" at Ashford, ie. liquidating as much inventory as possible at below cost.

This, together with the Xmas season and a recentlly implemented 60 day cookie has sent sales through the roof. I've accumulated a fat commission, and can only hope that GlobalSports will not make it a "fat chance" for that fat commission.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would guess you are more than welcome to say who your good merchants are that you are referring to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, 1) It would be out of context in a "Hall of Shame" thread and 2) It would be just as useless a statement unless I also explained the full context that makes them successful for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Also, you say they are more than 1000 a month?? Ok, how do you know if you wouldnt have made a lot more, assuming that they could be "flawed". Everything is relative. Its just that the "smaller" earners usually notice it first.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every single affiliate program has "flaws" - if by that we mean things that leach commissions away from affiliates. All I'm saying here is that you have to be careful about writing off a merchant because they didn't work for someone else.

Or - as is all too common here - blaming everything and everybody else for poor results. There are very, very few constants in the affiliate game - everything is variables - so everyone's mileage is likely to vary. A lot.

Are you Crazy?

I don't know how other people understand this topic, but for me its just a way to express disappointment with certain merchants.

This expressions does not imply, that the merchant listed is not good for anybody to do business with.

It's just a personal opinion.
    We stated explanations, to make other affiliates aware of possible problems. That does not mean, that our opinion is a recommendation. It's just Info.

Every Affiliate or Webmaster has to make up his
    own mind and has to make his own decisions.

Opinions expressed here might cause a second thought or further check, but I can not see, whats wrong about that. Its one of the purposes of this forum.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread