View Poll Results: When Lightning Comes My PC Policy Is.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep going no matter how bad it is.

8 32.00%
  • Pull the plug if lightning hits real close.

11 44.00%
  • Pull the plug with distant rumbling.

4 16.00%
  • Shut it off but don't unplug.

2 8.00%
    Lightning! How Do You Protect Your PC?
    I think all those years of being forced to fish around lightning have made me over cautious. If it gets near and I'm home I'll shut down and unplug. I get too nervous to concentrate anyway.

I have a UPS and those serge strips but little faith in them. Some days lately I've had to undo 3 machines 2 or 3 times a day. It's a pain when you figure the lost time.

This little poll is to convince me that I'm chicken and all alone. I want to see what folks that really need their computers do.

If I'm home and can look outside and see lightning bolts (bolts, not distant flashes in the clouds), I unplug. All of my PC stuff (computer, modem, printer, scanner, etc is all in one strip/protector so its easy).

We had a bad lightning storm here a week or two ago. I didn't unplug and got lucky. I was out on the patio watching the storm, but my neighbor across the hall lost his router, the office here lost its computers (3 of them), another neighbor (same building, next breezeway) lost his TV and another neighbor lost their computer, that I know of.

First time I've ever just blown it off. If I'm home, I'm always unplugging when I see lightning.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    I'm bad as far as that. I just had lightning last few hours real bad and I kept the computer and TV on. I have a surge protector, as most do I'm sure or better and I think one got fried once but still bad. Just remembered that I posted about it:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=surge

Not much lightning here in the NW, but if it does come along I unplug.
    When I used to live in FL I had $20 surge protector and I was lucky I never got my laptop fried.

Now I don't take the chance, not only for me, but I have to for my clients sake.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It has to be pretty much flashing like a Christmas tree right outside before I'll willingly unplug--IF the power has stayed on. I have done it pre-emptively maybe twice in 5 years so I picked "if it's really close" but it's so rare that I could have said "unplug?! Horrors!" and been accurate enough. I like storms, to a dangerous degree even. So there's no fear of lightning here! It's a wonder *I* haven't been cooked by now, never minding the computer.

But, usually it's not a "choice." The power here is likely to simply go out if there's a storm of any severity. If it goes out, I unplug--not from fear of the lightning, but from concern of what will happen from the power company fiddling around trying to get the electricity back on. Sometimes they make several attempts before a fix sticks, and I figure all that fast on-offing has to be bad.

ABW Ambassador
    I only use a notebook and have lots of batteries, so I could probably go about 24-28 hours without recharging. I also have an air card, so I don't have to worry about getting hit through the phone lines.

Loss of power is the biggest worry here (Cape Cod, MA), that's why all the batteries. Although as I type this there is a huge lighting storm outside now. Maybe my computer and I will go into the closet and work!

When I'm finished working, I ALWAYS unplug and I never leave it near a window.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    We get pretty amazing storms here in the foothills of the Taconic Mountains. Our entire house is on a surge protector but that didn't prevent one of our phones from being fried a couple of years ago. When storms get too close for my comfort I turn my computer off and unplug the power strip cord. Cheap insurance.

I picked "Keep on Truckin'" - with the caveat that I do most of my work on two Laptops - and I do unplug the power supplies. Most electrical storms in this area (Baltimore) last less than an hour so I have no problem with battery life.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks for the response so far. It looks like I'm winning the bet with my wife. She said that "Keep going no matter" would be the majority. We have been having thunder off and on for 24 hours now. One little cell after another and lots of the nation are in drought.

I saw the weather this morning and it looks like the folks cooking in Las Vegas would temporarily trade spots with me. High temps there that I can't even imagine.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Surge protector.
    For both the power and also coaxial cable.

Keep rolling till I lose power

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    uhhhhhhhhh what's lightning?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread