The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Why You MUST check your links all the way to the order form
    Walter Drake:

I swapped the links to Linkshare

http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/Sh...000024&num=595

Add a DELUXE personalized baby bootie to the shopping cart (PG0000015).

There's no place to enter personalization! Customer has no choice but to CALL the merchant. Hence no commission.

ColorfulImages.

http://www.colorfulimages.com/84145.html

Add a sewing label to the cart. Count how many HOURS the next page takes. It times out every time. Customer has no choice but to CALL the merchant. Hence no commission.

ABW Ambassador
    Great post Billy,

I have to spend so much time catching merchants who play these kinds of games, it makes my head spin.

Thanks for the heads up -- how lame. The real estate industry has location location location; I guess we have test, test, test

btw, how much is the lease?

Having your links work is very key to getting paid. I always check mine!

I am currently spending some long hous undoing and redoing page after page of links added before a.) I found out about BHOs, spyware and parasites;
    b.) I learned to browse the merchant's site through actual links to see what the client will see;
    This second activity has led me to discontinue promoting some merchants and look actively to find merchants to work with who don't mind playing fair. I found one who had their 800 number showing in the pop-up image window when you click to enlarge the tiny product image. Now, why would that be there?

Yeah, these Merchants don't know what we poor ole' affiliates have to go thru...

There was one Merchant I promote who could have burned me for thousands because of shotty links---by Yahoo of all people! But lucky they were honest so I guess they like all that great Traffic and Sales I send them.

YES, keep a eye on your links affiliates!

Affiliate marketing is exhausting, isn't it?

Still the best industry in the world though....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Here's what I get every time I click one of the new Linkshare Walter Drake links:

An unexpected error has occurred. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back shortly. You may also call 1-800-858-4979 to place your order.

and when I emailed them to tell them there's no place on their website to enter personalization info for their personalized baby booties... they said to call:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting Walter Drake Customer Service. I am very sorry that the

personalization is not working correctly on the website. I have forward this issue

to our website development team. At this time I can only suggest that you either

call, fax, or mail your order in. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

If you should have further questions or comments, please feel free to email us or

contact our Customer Service Department at the phone number provided below.

Thank you,

Michael - 04323

Walter Drake Customer Service

I am no expert, but I do not think that a neon blinking 800 number is the key to success. Sometimes it feels like they only want affiliates because we work cheaper and better than AdWords. I am still publishing for a few of these merchants, but only until I get through our "second Christmas" season and have time to rewrite my sites. Merchants who co-operate with affiliates get much more promotion, at least on my sites. Several quality pages vs. a few banners. The more I learn here the more work I see ahead but it is worth the time to be picky and successful I think.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Here's what I get every time I click one of the new Linkshare Walter Drake links:
    It seems like they have fixed the problem. I tried one link and got this message. I tried a few more, and they all went to the product pages ok. Then I went back and tried that first one again, and this time it also worked ok.

But, I did see a definite drop-off in sales after the first three-four days that I put up their new LS links.

I don't believe I currntly use links for any of their personalized products.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

And don't stop at the shopping cart - submit a test order yourself.

Last week, I noticed that I wasn't getting any sales from substantial traffic sent to Teacher's Pet Publications' brand-new affiliate program. Their tech staff said he'd tested the program and it worked. I placed my own test order, and it didn't track. It turned out that the links sent to me by the company's CEO used a "domain variant" (tpet.com). The affiliate tracking did count clicks from this domain, but the affiliate tracking only worked for orders if there was a cookie associated with the primary domain (teacherspetpublications.com). I changed the links and verified that the tracking did work.

Of course, I sold my "lesson plans" web site last week, so this won't affect me any more, but I realized I should post something here so other potential affiliates are warned not to link via tpet.com.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    And don't stop at the shopping cart - submit a test order yourself.
    I did a test order at Walter Drake apparently before these problems began, and it tracked, but I am about to post an update about what has, and has not, transpired since my order.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Then again, maybe it's not fixed: I tried wdrake links I have on a different site, and the same thing happened as earlier. The first link I clicked came up with the error message but then other links, including clicking the same link a second time, worked ok.

There is definitely still something wrong.

I test my links on coupons or deals anyways because sometimes they really don't work or are confusing, you need to enter a code, etc... I want people to know what to expect when they click the link, so I always have a look. It also gives me a chance to explain any offer details,etc...

I'm still new to this game, so don't know if the strategy works, but thats what I would want to see if I was shopping online.

Just a thought.
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Then again, maybe it's not fixed: I tried wdrake links I have on a different site, and the same thing happened as earlier. The first link I clicked came up with the error message but then other links, including clicking the same link a second time, worked ok.

There is definitely still something wrong.
    I haven't tested the WD site (since I didn't follow them over, heck no!), but I have noticed a few other sites lately with this kind of thing going on.

First click, something fishy happens.
    Recheck, and then it's fine.

I was just surfing around when I saw those other sites doing it, so I didn't memorize which ones they were--it wasn't any of my merchants. But I noticed it because my experience as an aff has tuned me in to looking for fishy site behavior. And, I *vaguely* remember that this same bit has been around the block once before, years ago.

Provided I correctly remember how it works--They set a cookie after the first arrival, and if the cookie's there when you come back, you see the "real" page. That way it looks like a sporadic glitch, but it really isn't...

I think it's some kind of crookery making the rounds. Most people won't recheck or hit refresh, they'd just either call or go away.

I can't guarantee that's what's going on with WD's site, but by the descriptions posted in this thread, it quacks like a duck.

I had something similar happen last month, where I was sending about 40 clicks a day to a particular merchant and was getting a sale about every 80 clicks. Nothing to jump up and down about, but still something that was working consistently for a few weeks.

Then all of a sudden it stopped. Not the clicks, not the traffic - just the sales. Hmm... I thought. After two weeks I contacted the merchant and they insisted that all was working fine.

Screw that, I thought. The next week I switched over to Amazon for the same product and that very day they started selling again. I sold 4 that first day, and continue to sell a few each day. The average number of sales is creeping up towards 10 a day, so I don't think the issue was my page or its content/message.

Yes, you have to watch this stuff like a hawk, and it's unfortunate that some merchants have to be so deviant.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the wonderful information.
    I am a new Merchant & all these tips are great!!

Thanks,
    Pete Pesce

Pete!!!!

A "NEW" merchant???? LOL

Billy

New in Terms of where I am at now....
    Why have you not returned my emails?
    Waiting for you to come on board!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread