Not good news - FROOGLE

While FROOGLE is still in Beta, affiliates will find their sites listed... temporarily it seems.

Listings from searches will eventually return only sites that actually Sell Products Online.

Merchants can/will submit datafeeds directly to FROOGLE. Affiliate sites do not qualify and are excluded from submitting.

I think the natives will be getting restless soon! I know I am! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The only good news is for merchant sites, not affiliate sites. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Look it over: http://froogle.google.com/froogle/about.html

GOOGLE will still list affiliates, but FROOGLE looks to be a Sleeping Giant about to wake up with a vengeance to taking our traffic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Patriot, Army Type, One Each...
    USA - This We'll Defend

ABW Ambassador
    When the CPC industry left, we had to convert over to CPA. Froogle will make 90% of the CPA programs out there not profitable...

What will the internet do without CPC or CPA?

According to my reports I am getting visitors from Froogle. It is new, I haven't seen people coming to my site from here before. Thanks for the news. I will watch them and see what they are up to. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think there will always be a place for niche sites. Yes, they may find many of the same products I have at Froogle but I have done the shopping for them. They can come to my site and go directly to all the things they want in one place with out having to search for it. In fact, I will remind them of all the stuff they really want but just didn't think of and get sales from related products.

Additionally, I will give them information, enough of it that they will bookmark my site for reference. Perhaps, they will put up a link. When they need to refer to something on my site, they will be reminded of all the nifty stuff they don't have yet.

I am also working on a very nifty freebie that they will come to my site to get and that they will tell others about as well.

And, I have two local people making original products that sell OK for now. I make $10.00 per sale on these items. I plan to add another local item.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Here is another extend of the problem:

Now that merchants notice that their products pages are crawld by Froogle and ranked accoording to their product page's title, they'll start optimizing their pages more for the search engines.

Up until now, they were really slow about this. so search engine expert affiliates getting to the top ranks before the merchants themselves.

After merchants optimize their pages, they'll rank higher than the affiliates in the actual Google results, because usually they have better PR numbers than us.

15 years and counting
    As long as Froggle is playing fair it's just an other competitor. Nothing to be really scary. MSN, Lycos, Yahoo... have all their shopping section. What's new is the use of datafeed directly from the merchants.
    What I'll like to see now is some real competition in the seach engines business. We're all too much dependant of Google.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Zeus and Others,

A while back, Google was the new kid on the block. In a very short time Google is now the 900 pound Gorilla of search engines, while the other SE companies are relegated to "also ran" status.

If FROOGLE follows in it's progenitor's footsteps, it may drastically affect online searching for products that we experience today. At present, we mostly compete in an environment open to all - merchants and affiliates. FROOGLE will eventually close out affiliate sites, listing only merchant sites. If their popularity rises on the same curve as Google, traffic to affiliates will be negatively impacted by a progressive reduction of traffic.

I feel that merchants will be compelled to submit datafeeds to this massive consolidation of product search methods. The merchant will get direct traffic - no affiliate to pay.

Play fair you say? Ask any SE company if Google played fair on their rise to the top.

Personally, I hope merchants will not jump in with both feet, but it seems that the Beta already has many large merchants.

Hope it works out better than it looks.

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Patriot, Army Type, One Each...
    USA - This We'll Defend

ABW Ambassador
    First of all, wrong forum. Second of all the title of this thread is a little drastic. Lots of reasons not to worry.

Still in beta, long way to go.
    Affiliate sites do show up, type in old navy polo shirt to see what i mean. When you do, notice the results suck. Here are some results on the first page:
    Arthritis Insight-Newsletter November 14, 2001
    Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault & the AVG -- Chapter 2Libdex Open Directory /Shopping/Niche/Military/
    OpenBSD On-Line Ordering
    Coltrane's Car and Driver Index
    See what i mean, bad results, long way to go.
    You still get Google traffic from Yahoo and AOL, no Froogle there.
    You still get some traffic from other SE's
    Google is not going to become a Super Affiliate, their bot crawls and there is no manual handling of the results, its all algorithm.
    Think of it as a plus for affiliates if you do Google Adwords. Someone searches for JVC XL200 DVD player. You have a Google Adwords show for that product, with your ad saying Coupons and Deals for JVC DVD players, you will get the click. High CTR
    Most people go straight to regular search engines. They don't used specialized or advanced search engines.
    There are also legal issues brought up in other forums.
    People were getting panicked about Google catalogs and now Froogle.
    NOT an affiliate killer, just another idea going nowhere.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

[This message was edited by TrustNo1 on December 15, 2002 at 05:37 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    For those of us who sell services which are priced based on monthly usage, I see Froogle as just another shopping cart. Dime a dozen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

After checking my logs, I'm seeing traffic from Froogle as well. Not nearly as much as from Google but it does appear Froogle is indexing us. If they decide to filter affiliate sites out, maybe one possibility is for merchants to allow us to have "Add to Cart" links. Since affiliate sales can reach 25% of total sales for a merchant, it's also in their best interest to help us find a solution-if Froogle ends up being an issue, which it doesn't seem to be one at the present.

Let merchants have froogle, the merchants will still need are traffic from other search engines, news letters and so on...., most merchants can't design a web site that can sell anything anyways thats why we have to do the selling for them and this creates the word Affiliate.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Moving to a more proper forum..

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Froogle Schmoogle.. what difference does it make? You get paid as an affiliate to provide customers for merchants. If you keep providing customers, you'll keep getting paid.

The internet is a constantly changing environment, and if you want to play on the internet, then you better be ready to change with it (if not before it).

ABW Ambassador
    I think Froogle is a failed concept for merchants. Merchants will have to compete for clicks by offering the lowest price. When they're all done cutting each other's throats, they'll find it's a better bargain not to be listed in Froogle.

Of coarse merchants that don't slash their prices can still have a shot at getting clicks by paying for Google's Adwords.

So if you're a merchant, go ahead and slash your prices and spend your time and money to load the Froogle data base so Google can collect more revenues from Adwords.

Affiliate sites bring to much to the table for merchants to abandon them. A merchant can attain several top ten listings for their products via affiliate sites the end result of which is sales.
    There have been many attempts to derail affiliates yet we remain strong because we deliver and that is the name of the game. Find your nitch and push it.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I agree, Freesurf. Froogle will be just one of dozens of avenues a merchant will need to cover. In the end, though, a merchant with a couple thousand affiliates will dominate or be competitive in any given niche or market.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

I had a bad thought the other day when I had some major troubles with the google toolbar updating itself....

After uninstalling and resetting everything I could think of then reinstalling the toolbar I decided to check BHO cop to see if my troubles may have come from some nasty plugin that may have caught me....

Well, I found one! It was the Google Toolbar Helper!

I contacted Google and was told that this was new and used to "stablize the toolbar".

Frankly folks, it sounds a little like the precurser to some advertising that may be in the works via scumware tatics.

I hope not as I like Google, but Google Toolbar Helper Sure sounds like it to me.

nitewing

[http://www.starlightastrology.com/weblounge.htm/]

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread