Not sure where this belongs BUT....

I recently joined a private merchant program who sold me on how good they were.

In the past few weeks, Ive been lucky enough to generate about 3K in sales with them, sales which I was to be paid for on the 15th of December.

Well, i found out a week or so ago that their aff manager was supposedly in a bad car accident and will not be in until January (MAYBE).

I have received no check and no answer about a check.

Since it is pretty apparent to me that they are STILL in business (and have been for many years) I do not see hwo they can think they dont have to pay us at this point AND that they dont have to let us know what is going on.

This is a family owned and small company, but they have a LOT of business.

Am I being unreasonable and/or callous by expecting to get paid in light of their (apparent) tragedy?

It isnt like the rest of their business has collapsed.

Should I remove links? I have no other sources for the merchandise at this time.

This is the first time I was supposed to be paid by them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I have bad luck getting paid by indy programs. If their site looks like a Jr Achievement projext and they don't have a published 800# then I no longer bother begging them for payment. None of the 5 indy programs I have links to have cut me a check even though I'm above minimums.

One Indy program Kowabunga hasn't paid me the merchant referral fee on 2 sales and I built the merchant sites around their program 2 years ago.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
    Well, i found out a week or so ago that their aff manager was supposedly in a bad car accident and will not be in until January (MAYBE).

Am I being ... callous by expecting to get paid in light of their (apparent) tragedy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a right to your money, but when you repeatedly insinuate that the car accident is only a cover up to not pay you, you are beyond callous, you are verging on disgusting IMO!

Call the company and ask if anyone is in charge of making sure that affiliate payments are going to be sent, and stop thinking that everyone is lying to you!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I thought I had mentioned that I contacted them several times and they are avoiding the issue. They have not said they are paying they are not saying they are not paying.

All they do is say the guy was in a car accident.

As far being callous in your opinion, what does one expect when you cant get a straight answer and have no previous history with a company??

Maybe it is true all the way around or maybe it is true and they are using it as an excuse. But the way they make it sound, they entire business is going to crumble today, but we all know that they are still taking orders and shipping product!

I hate being callous and suspicious, but alot of merchants dont exactly have my faith lately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I have bad luck getting paid by indy programs. If their site looks like a Jr Achievement projext and they don't have a published 800# then I no longer bother begging them for payment. None of the 5 indy programs I have links to have cut me a check even though I'm above minimums.

One Indy program Kowabunga hasn't paid me the merchant referral fee on 2 sales and I built the merchant sites around their program 2 years ago.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn!

oh gosh! you know what, i totoally forgot about something... a few weeks ago, when i first started this merchant, i noticed that my commissions were going up and down daily, in an odd sort of way... when i contacted these people, i was told that there was some java script error that was duplicating orders and they were corecting them... but that the problem wouldnt be fixed because

"Our webmaster was in an auto accident on Wednesday and will be out of commission for a while.

Thank you,...."

Thats a cut and paste of their email to me.

Isnt that kind of odd?

If Haiko is right and I am wrong, then these people sure are accident prone!

No papasan

I think their webmaster wears many hats. Same person same accident. Still I have to dissagree with Haiko you aren't being an arse for wanting your money. You have every right to it in a timeley manner accident or not = no excuse. People loose their homes while sitting in the hospital it's just a harsh reality of life. Will your creditors wait for your payments because you've become ill? On the other hand since Dec 15th was only a week ago I don't see why you are so worried. I would wait at least a month before I started getting after them.

Let Fear Be Far from All

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Unless their webmaster also handles their affiliate program. Could be if it's a small family type business.

It's a hard call when the entity is new to you. If it was a merchant that you had dealt with for a long time with few problems, then you would probably look at it totally different.

Is there a way you can call them? Sometimes you can get better results and a better feel for what's going on over the phone than with emails.

If they are producing for you, don't give up. I had a vendor who was making pull my hair out and causing me all kinds of problems. I got me one particular contact in the company and kept after him (in a nice but firm way) and now they roll the red carpet out for me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm getting pricing that no one else can beat and they do all kinds of extra stuff for me. It's turned from a headache to a very lucrative arrangement for the both of us.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyderâ„¢:
    No papasan

I think their webmaster wears many hats. Same person same accident. Still I have to dissagree with Haiko you aren't being an arse for wanting your money. You have every right to it in a timeley manner accident or not = no excuse. People loose their homes while sitting in the hospital it's just a harsh reality of life. Will your creditors wait for your payments because you've become ill? On the other hand since Dec 15th was only a week ago I don't see why you are so worried. I would wait at least a month before I started getting after them.

Let Fear Be Far from All<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks...

im not trying to be harsh at all and no a week isnt a big deal at all, but i have called them on the phone, im not getting a straight answer and also someone is always going to call me back. the fact is, this merchant is probably pretty seasonal so i didnt want to waste my efforts if ya know what i mean.

as far as the wearing two hats, the webmaster email was about 2 weeks before the aff mgr had his accident [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] as i understand it, unless soeone had been singing the guys name to the emails. i really dont know.

also, rather than taking money, i may have had the opportunity to order merchandise instead, which is probably a little bit late by now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

the worst part is not getting a straight answer. honestly, if theyd say we cant pay you until he comes back, or we are going to be late because we cant figure anything out or whatever, it would be acceptable for now...

BUT to have two people in car accidents (apparently two people) when i have issues seems odd.

oh well, i guess ill wait and see what happens!

thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH:
    I got me one particular contact in the company and kept after him (in a nice but firm way) and now they roll the red carpet out for me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm getting pricing that no one else can beat and they do all kinds of extra stuff for me. It's turned from a headache to a very lucrative arrangement for the both of us.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool deal and congrats! way to go!

papasan,

If you want me to contact them, I'd be more than happy to and investigate the truth.

</font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    papasan,

If you want me to contact them, I'd be more than happy to and investigate the truth.

&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana"&gt;Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aww thanks! i really appreciate that! thats really nice of you!

my only concern is that well... im glad not many other affiliates use them if ya know what i mean!

please let me think about it and ill email you, k?

thanks!!

I thought i'd weigh in with my two cents.

I don't think a week is too long to wait for your money. As said earlier, if it takes a month then I'd start to wonder.

You don't seem too clear on the situation. I would reposition myself with them by getting clear information and being assertive without being pushy. Be tactful. Let them know that you are sorry for the terrible string of accidents that is plaguing their employees but business is business. I'm sure they pay their vendors when deliveries are made (assuming it is that type of business) or other folk when services are rendered.

My father tells me of the 3 F's of business. Be Fair, Be Friendly, and Be Firm.

From reading this board it seems that it is common for merchants to think they can stiff the affiliate when they want. I wouldn't put it past them if they were using a real or concocted accident as an excuse to delay or even keep from paying altogether. People do far worse things.

Good luck with it.

PM Me if you want me to see if it is another "conn" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

</font></p>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Better to be callous than gullible.

I don't buy the line either. But on the other hand--after only a week, it's a bit early to call the bill collectors on 'em despite what I consider the high unlikelihood of the excuse being legit.

And hopefully the excuse IS Baloney--because if it's NOT baloney, and it IS one-man ("one" meaning that there's only one with any real authority over there, even though somebody's obviously handling the emails), chances are the business is toast if the person doesn't get out of the hospital fast enough. You can sic collectors on Baloney--but if there's one person and he/she's really laying in traction somewhere, even all the collectors on Earth aren't going to help.

But after hearing the excuses my mother gets for missed piano lessons (she teaches music and has done for decades)--I'd have to say there's about a 90% chance that the excuse is indeed total BS.

Unfortunately, unlike in music teaching, there usually isn't a chance for wondering affiliates to actually see people pulling in with:

an unscratched car or minivan (that's mysteriously the same make, color, and year as the "totaled" one) without so much as a bruise THE NEXT WEEK.

Or to see them show up with A NEW CAR and not so much as a bruise, the next week. Sometimes the new car is significantly better than the old one, too! Darn great insurance co., that'll trade an old Chevy for a new Cadillac--and in a week, too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Or hear about the various surgeries in sensitive places like the abdomen, on organs, that don't seem to hurt at all THE NEXT WEEK.

Or see parents who miraculously get sick the week the payment's supposed to be made. And miraculously, instantly, completely heal when the person gets up enough money to pay! (Too bad for them that they are charged for missed lessons [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] )

Or hear of family members who have Lourdes-like healings right after the Recital is done (they don't have to show up for it then, because it's over!).

Or to ask how someone could have 4 or 5 dead grandmas. (two people, caught with this one. They were specific, too--grandMAs, not the feasible "grandparents".)

Or to ask an Indian how come they're going back to India to celebrate Dinali...about 3 months after the rest of India celebrated it!! (According to sites that came up when I typed "Dinali" into Google.)

Or to ask just how "severely" broken legs can heal in 2 weeks.

Or to ask how come so many more people break "their fingers" when taking piano lessons--while trumpet students never break the hands...but all seem to end up with extensive DENTAL work instead! (Dental work makes it very hard/impossible to play a trumpet and sound any good.) Or to notice how the fakers close up the trumpet case quick...and people who REALLY had dental work will keep trying to play trumpet anyway, despite the hideous noise that ensues!

Or to ask how come it is, that people "get sick" the week before their scheduled vacation and then miraculously get well the second their vacation starts. (This PLOY is used to wring an extra free week off. It doesn't work. Unscheduled missed lessons are charged for!)

If she didn't CHARGE IN ADVANCE all these BALONEY EXCUSES people try to run would pile up and leave her with $0 in a hurry!

Of course, when there is obviously a real error (getting in massive accidents, or being sick, tends to leave physical evidence of some sort) then she doesn't charge. Like I said above--that's about TEN PERCENT of the instances of excuses. The rest are Fertilizer and are treated as such.

With such a percentage skew, I'd say it's not callous at all to assume it's CRAP--especially when there's $3K riding on it!

Affiliate marketing may be different than music teaching, but I doubt the excuse has any greater of a likelihood of factuality in this business than in that one.

[Edited to add below]

I will note that after hearing about bogus excuses like those I listed all my life, I generally assume excuses like that--when they come ,"very coincidentally", at times that PAYMENTS (or any other things people want to dodge) are supposed to be happening--are Bull. To assume otherwise is to defy the lessons of history.

(The ones that aren't Bull tend to have some supporting evidence. In this case, I would have expected whoever's doing the email to have sent out a "payments will be delayed" notice right away. They seem to be able to work the email program fine for *other* things...)

In some cases, the claims may not be bull but when placing bets, the more likely possibility is where I'd put my chips.

Disclaimer: Of course, this is my OPINION based on excuses to delay paying that I've heard of throughout the years, mostly outside of this industry (but which I believe to be relevant anyway). I do not know which Merchant is in question and do not intend this post to be a Flame against any particular merchant.

And if there was really an accident (or multiple accidents), my apologies.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

[This message was edited by Leader on December 20, 2002 at 08:48 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    I thought i'd weigh in with my two cents.

I don't think a week is too long to wait for your money. As said earlier, if it takes a month then I'd start to wonder.

You don't seem too clear on the situation. I would reposition myself with them by getting clear information and being assertive without being pushy. Be tactful. Let them know that you are sorry for the terrible string of accidents that is plaguing their employees but business is business. I'm sure they pay their vendors when deliveries are made (assuming it is that type of business) or other folk when services are rendered.

My father tells me of the 3 F's of business. Be Fair, Be Friendly, and Be Firm.

From reading this board it seems that it is common for merchants to think they can stiff the affiliate when they want. I wouldn't put it past them if they were using a real or concocted accident as an excuse to delay or even keep from paying altogether. People do far worse things.

Good luck with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

Again, the thing that bothers me the most is that I cant get an answer either way. I will say that when I have called and asked for him directly, he isnt there. Also, since it is a small family run business and if this guy (the son) was seriously injured AND we have the holiday season, it must be really really bad for them. I am not uncaring.

I simply wanted an answer. But I guess maybe if MY son were critically injured, I wouldnt be thinking straight either BUT on the other hand, it appears that otherwise, business is moving along.

Who knows... I guess Ill just wait.

I just wanted my money for Christmas for my kids. My eldest is hitting me up for a playstation and those things are $$$$$$$$

I was to be paid for on the 15th of December. / Papasan

I think you should have a little mercy, it'c only been 6 days. It's a small company a car accident may affect a lot of employees and they may have not able spare an emplyee for his job, because it's the busiest time of the year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamBay:
    I was to be paid for on the 15th of December. / Papasan

I think you should have a little mercy, it'c only been 6 days. It's a small company a car accident may affect a lot of employees and they may have not able spare an emplyee for his job, because it's the busiest time of the year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, this will be the last I speak on this subject. This isnt about the payment being 6 days late. This is about not getting a straight answer out of anyone, as to the who, what, when , where and why's of it all.

Apparently, what they MAY want us to think is that because of the absence of one person, no one is going to get paid until this person comes back, yet the rest of teh business goes on.

I still find it hard to believe that one person missing can disable an entire affiliate program. Not very organized if thats the case.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ok, this will be the last I speak on this subject. This isnt about the payment being 6 days late. This is about not getting a straight answer out of anyone, as to the who, what, when , where and why's of it all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WELL . . . the person you're needing an answer from is, most likely, THE person that got smucked in the car accident and probably will have to wait until he/she returns from the hospital . . . hang tight . . .

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread