For one of my gigs I do onmline marketing for a company that summer camps for teens. Been pretty successful with SEO and ppc and now trying to decide whether I should start an affiliate program.

Here's some of my thoughts on the matter, please comment on any of the points I'm in error or could use some clarification:

1) a lot of the final conversion to customer takes place over the phone or though the mail. Also since the sales cycle is fairly long (2-8 weeks) affiliate sales tracking would be a nightmare. It would make much more sense to do a CPL campaign based on brocheure requests.

2) CPL campaigns, though, are not as appealing to power-affiliates and are open to more fraud from bad affiliates.

3) The kind of sites I'd like to sign up for affiliates - parenting, teens, education - don't traditionally do much affiliate work. Convincing them this is worthwhile is likely to be a pain in the butt.

4) Since the product is seasonal (about a 6-month selling period) it will be more difficult to get good affiliates signed-up. I might need to concentrate on sites willing to put blurbs in newletters.

5) Despite the hassles, if I can get an affiliate program up-and-running there is strong potential to out-pace my other online efforts.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Since the product is seasonal (about a 6-month selling period) it will be more difficult to get good affiliates signed-up. I might need to concentrate on sites willing to put blurbs in newletters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't see WHY your product is seasonal . . . have you tried selling advanced registrations?

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread