Any know about the GoogleBomb Algorithm?
    Apparently it runs every 2-4 months and deletes sites from the Google search index that have links with obscure anchor text phrases that point to sites without any relation to that phrase.

I'd like to know when it runs, if rechecks the sites prior to deletion for these obscure anchor text phrases and any other insights or observations.

No one but a Google engineer can predict when any of their algorithms will run. Nothing at Google runs on a regular schedule. They like to keep us all guessing.

Here is a link to the page that covers the Google Bomb. It has a link to Matt Cutts' blog on that issue.

What is a Google Bomb?

I'm curious. How will knowing when the algorithm runs be of any benefit to you?
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Because I belong to a network of sites who interlink based on static anchor text phrases to back end pages, rather than the home page in many cases. I believe these have been misconstrued by the GoogleBomb Algorithm as GoogleBombing and banned as all my sites on the system lost all their Google links back around the time the last one was run.

If I can predict when the one is going to run, AND if it rechecks the current site's links, then I should be able to pull or change the sites just prior to avoid losing all my Google links.

Keep in mind,we are not GoogleBombing, rather all interlinks are requested by the linked to domain holder. I think we've just been caught in their wide net on this one.

I realize nobody KNOWS but Google when these will run, but we can predict...any predictions?

no offense, but if you think your playing with fire why would you let yourself get burned? If you think it's an issue pull them today...

what if they decided to save bandwidth and create a delete list from recently chased results?

I guess I don't understand the purpose of the cross-linking, nor why the anchor text for the links would be unrelated to the landing pages. My gut feeling is that you are trying to "cheat" or "fool" the Google system, by creating links that are in fact not relevant nor useful to human beings.

If your concern were simply that some legitimate linking strategy, which is actually useful to members of this group, is unfairly triggering the Google penalties, then set your robots.txt file so that these pages are not indexed at all. If you want them indexed, then you're going to have to accept Google's algorithms, including penalties.

I've done some "market timing" with the stock market, and earned some profits from it occasionally, but I would absolutely, positively never try to play a "timing" game with Google. Perhaps the most important issue, I think, is that Google can simply look at its own cache of pages, whenever it decides to check for "unrelated link exchanges."

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    If your pages should not be triggering bombs, your best / most helpful response would be to pick up the phone and call Google. If they are in error, I'd bet they can take care of it for you...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    pick up the phone and call Google.
    I thought that department was only accessible via email...

Thanks for the replies. And I have been pulling my domains that were not already deleted from google the last round.

I'm not sure how acceptable this type of crosslinking to additional non-core pages, that are off the site's core topic is. Yes, the idea is to get more traffic and ultimately have that traffic end up on your home page. Perhaps it's a bit Grey Hat SEO.

Nevertheless, the question here is how best to get around a bot that was created for eliminating a different problem. Not that this type of link exchanges are a problem.

Adrian, I honestly don't understand your point.

If the purpose of these cross-links is to drive legitimate traffic, but Google is somehow misunderstanding or misinterpreting the relevance of the anchor text to the landing page, then the solution is to use "nofollow" and/or robots.txt to block Google from indexing these pages and "mistakenly" penalizing your site.

If the purpose of these cross-links is to trick humans into clicking because of the anchor text, in the hope that they may be interested in the unrelated content on the landing page, then you should stop doing this, since it is deceptive and confusing to consumers.

If the real purpose is to get Google to assign a higher rank to your page or site for that keyword, then the language used in the anchor text should be on the landing page, which should be relevant to the anchor text.

If the real purpose is to "trick" Google, then its algorithm is NOT being unfairly or improperly applied -- you're being properly penalized.

You absolutely have NOT clearly explained the purpose or function of these cross-links which use anchor text that is not related to the content of the landing pages. It does not sound like "gray hat" to me; it sounds like a "black hat" strategy. But if it's really a legitimate technique and you're willing to actually explain it clearly, perhaps folks here could give you some useful advice.

people used to say incoming links could never hurt you. Not my experience lately. I'm talking about 1 way links actually
    (but who knows)

and
    http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/28/neg...g_0628seo.html

From my own experience:

Googlebombing, in terms of the algorithm, is designed to catch something like "miserable failure" and whitehouse.gov. Massive anchor text that is all the same with no inkling of something with the keywords on the site being linked to.

What you're doing sounds like something that is more along the lines of what people at Syndk8 - the black hat SEO forum, do. You might ask over there re: your specific situation.

Oziman.

Thanks for those comments.

Yes GB is a quaisi humorous/politcal grass roots activity which I just learned about. Comments on the GBA note that it appears to clear up just largely 'negative' GB like the one mention. Matt Cutt's said there may be a human element to GBA.

The backlink network I use allows another webmaster to control the anchor text that is displayed on my page. I may have 100% relevant content to the INCOMING anchor text on my site (which I have control over in the system and otherwise do straight white hat SEO. But other members' obscure anchor text that may not correlate with either their landing page and/or site theme, can get MY SITE banned by GB for being the sending link. I believe it is the SENDING sites that get banned.

I hope this helps explains things better

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I am not going to write a bunch about this as you need to read a lot on the subject but it is already on this forum and on the web.

Google does not think you are google bombing.

They think you are using a link network. They hate them and have for 5 years now.

Anytime you use a "network" for SEO your going to get nailed. They have hundreds of engineers smarter than you and I to figure that stuff out. Large networks create large recognizble patterns.

Research more and forget about google bombing.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    In the meantime the best thing to do is quit the networks and remove all links to them on all sites. Maybe they will come back on GOogle.

If they dont write an email to big G in a month or two.

If not worry about MSN and Yahoo for those sites.

ABW Ambassador
    This has nothing to do with Googlebombing.

Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...=35769#quality

If a site's been removed from the index altogether, it isn't an automated (algo) penalty and can't just bounce back, it's been banned. Get all the sites squeaky clean, and submit what they're now calling a "reconsideration request" through the webmaster control panel.

Smile
    I guess it could be due to the 'bad neighborhood' linking or link network ban as well, I'm still not convinced that it has nothing to do with GBA.

These backlinks are not link directory page links, rather content page partner links. As such I get quite a bit of real converting traffic from them. So opting out of the system would come at a cost.

But I believe Mark's first solution will work well. I can't use nofollow as these partner link sets are generated by an externally run script, not hard coded, But if I disable spidering via robots.txt, on just the pages I have the link script on...

VOILA, problem solved. I keep the traffic I get from the network and get punished by Google on 'My Bads' only. It seems so obvious in hindsight.

Thank for the help.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread