Is there anything more frustrating than waiting for your site to be listed in google?
    I created a couple of affilate sites 6 to 8 weeks back (all SEO optimized for keywords, metatags etc etc) and the no listing is playing with my head. I know it shouldnt but the wait has temporarly killed my motivation to build sites.

I know that if I had a content site with a rank of 6 or 7 and linked to my affiliate site Id be in in 3 or 4 days ... and that listing in ODP would also help.

But what do you do if you dont have one. Im even thinking of creating a content site for this purpose but that would still take at least 3-4 months to get in and get traffic.

Does anyone have any tips they can share to speed up the listing ... or how I keep the passion...

sleepy

It sucks don't it?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is there anything more frustrating than waiting for your site to be listed in google? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Waiting for the *paid for* Inktomi spiders that are supposed to crawl every 48 hours, which haven't crawled since November 27th.

New pages up for Christmas just sittin' there chillin' in the cold.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    Deelz,

If your PFI pages haven't been crawled since Nov 27th, I would ring Positiontech or whoever and shout at them.

My own Inktomi pages are getting crawled and reindexed every two days, so this isn't a network wide problem.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know that if I had a content site with a rank of 6 or 7 and linked to my affiliate site Id be in in 3 or 4 days ... and that listing in ODP would also help.

But what do you do if you dont have one. Im even thinking of creating a content site for this purpose but that would still take at least 3-4 months to get in and get traffic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, yes, the wait SUCKS! When it comes to keeping the motivation, I have sporadic results. If I delay until the listings, though, I find myself racing the Googlebot for the next index and that isn't any fun!

As for c*ntent sites, amazingly enough I have 2 of those diskspace-eating things. Here's what I've found:

Unless they treat a PR6 radically different than a PR5, it will NOT get linked sites into Google in "3 or 4 days", at least not unless you get Googlebot to come by that often to see what you've linked up.

Getting Googlebot to come by that often isn't easy. It's not the DMOZ listing that does it--Gg has to realize that you are updating the site often, and then keep respidering to catch the changes. If you update a site very often, say once a day or every 2 days--Gg-bot will keep coming back whether the site is c*ntent or sales. If you don't, the amount of crawls will decrease a lot, fast. Most of my sites only get crawled once a month, and it doesn't matter what's on 'em. But last year, during a spate of updating on a purely commercial site, that site was crawled daily.

This isn't quite what you were asking about, but you might find this part useful anyway--As for c*ntent sites as a way to pass on PageRank, they CAN w*rk well unless Google realizes what is up. If it smells the rat, the value of links from the content site seem to be diminished. I could be wrong about that, but I've noticed some really odd behavior from Google sometimes in regards to my gardening site. The more aff sites I link to, the odder Google responds to it.

If you make one from scratch just to help your business, think wisely: First, make sure the category you're considering actually has an editor at DMOZ, or your submission may Rot Forever. Second, don't forget that c*ntent-sites can still be submitted to Yahoo for FREE even though it takes forever for them to review them. But the price is nice so go for a Yahoo listing on any noncommercial sites. My mother actually managed to snag one of these jewels (Jealous!).

Also, DMOZ will NOT automatically guarantee you a decent rank with the content site. Its days for that are pretty dead. I've got one c*ntent site listed w/DMOZ, and when they had the URL right it got PR5 after a while. I've got another c*ntent site that DMOZ didn't list. (Some nitwit didn't like the one little BAMM ad that was on the side of each page! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Even though the body of the pages are noncommercial!) It got to PR5 FASTER than the listed one!

How the nonDMOZed site got PR5 faster seems to be this...when I confirmed that it wouldn't be DMOZed (ABW has lots of DMOZ editors around to PM and skip the guessing game [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), I looked for mini-directory sites (not DMOZ knockoffs) dealing with the category in question and submitted to 3 or 4 of the ones that had decent PR. So I think the fact that I have *more* good links-in, more than makes up for the fact that the numbnuts editor at DMOZ didn't like BAMM.

I would have hit more little directories and specialized little SEs, but they all wanted a front page link back and all those links and buttons were starting to clutter up that page and give it that Tripod-y look.

Make sure any directories you submit to have GOOD PR (at least 4 and preferably more) and aren't junk Zeus directory lists or other junky lists. Check the Google Toolbar for the rank because sometimes these junk lists are well-disguised from a human standpoint.

Oh, of course, pick content that isn't w*rk to get ahold of or to update fairly regularly.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

[This message was edited by Leader on December 14, 2002 at 08:22 AM.]

Leader,

Thanks heaps for the advice and feedback. It is much appreciated.

sleepy

FWIW, I launched two new sites over the last three weeks which were indexed by G within 3 days. Each of these sites began producing sales immediately.

I did link to them from a PR6 content (dirty word here, I know) site which sees the G Freshbot daily.

Since the new sites, while being affiliate sites, are also content rich, I don't see G "smelling a rat".

The PR6 content site was never intended originally to dribble PR to other sites, since it was developed long before PR came upon the scene. Its a labor of love, and, damn it, I'm not ashamed to mentione it here.

I do content sites because I have fun creating them. I do affiliate stuff because I like a fattened bank account. And that's fun too.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

Potent mix,

Were the links to your affiliate sites that oriniated from your content site hidden or were they prominately displayed?

And were they on your index/home page or a page lower down?

sleepy

A few questions on the jargon - What is PR5? I have the googlebar and it shows a bar graph of site popularity, but no numeric values. Is there a way to change this?

John Hoge
    SeaEagle.com

Google Ranks Pages From 0-10, Move your mouse over the "Page Rank" Graph/Bar And You should see a Title saying "Page Rank is Google's Measure of the importance of this page (5/10)" OR "Current Page is not Ranked by Google"

When it comes to linking an affiliate site to a good-ranking content site, I don't see why Google would have an issue if the link was relevant.

For example, I have a site that offers a variety of different items. One page is devoted to general apparel. One of the links on that page is to my own, separate niche apparel site. Google seems to like this apparel site quite a bit - in fact, my sales from this site are starting to rival the overall sales from the original site! And Google should like it - it's content rich, in that it's got original ad copy that's loaded with keywords (as opposed to the type of content that doesn't help sell).

I don't think there's any trick or sneakiness involved - it's when you ARE trying to be tricky or sneaky is when you get into trouble.

J

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A few questions on the jargon - What is PR5? I have the googlebar and it shows a bar graph of site popularity, but no numeric values. Is there a way to change this?

John Hoge
    SeaEagle.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww, just gotta love it when someone doesn't even know about page rank and has a PR6. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I guess SEO is just natural for some folks.

AAnn

1. Get Links to Your Site
    2. Don't spam guestbooks to get links. They may penalize you, mabe even if som SOB does it for you.
    3. Don't use FFA pages to get links. They may penalize you, mabe even if som SOB does it for you.
    4. Don't spam wwwboards to get links. They may penalize you, mabe even if som SOB does it for you.
    5. Don't do excessive link swapping.
    6. Get in DMOZ. Usually not too hard if you put something unique and useful on your site provided some affiliate is not the catagory editor and he blocks all sites from the list but his(or hers). If this happens, send the Editor a friendly email asking why it appears that all the affilite sites in the catagory seem to belong to just one individual or a couple at best. Remind them of what content in your site is unique to it. Tell them you would rather get a fair shake from them as opposed to taking up their Cartel with the management.(DMOZ cans editors who do this from what I've heard). Let's face it, if theirs is in there, in particular if it has no unique content, you have just as much right to be in there too, maybe evn more.
    7. Pay the $300.00 to Yahoo.(Almost not worth it anymore, but it does help.)
    8. Get links to your site.
    9. Get links to your site.
    10. Yep, that's right. Get links to your site.
    11 goto 1

[This message was edited by Don Steitz on December 23, 2002 at 08:48 AM.]

Don,

I had spoken with CJ regarding the effects of links to their qksrv.net domain on link popularity. They claim that googlebot will give credit by following links that have an alternate destination; the link will be to qksrv.net?AID=???&PID=???&url=www.seaeagle.com

I haven't been able to verify it myself, but suspect that they were just telling me something I wanted to hear.

Waddya think?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread