ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation Warnning!!! Don't reply to the email from "Microsoft adCenter" <adctr@microsoft.com>
    I've just done talking with MS Adcenter rep over the phone regarding an email sent from "Microsoft adCenter" <adctr@microsoft.com> about updating my expiring credit card info.

I got this credit card updating email yesterday. Since it is a common use of reminder for updating expiring credit card info for google, yahoo, msn...and the email itself looks exactly like the ones from MS Adcenter. I went to my account and found out that I don't have a card ended "3333" as indicated in the email. The email listed my correct account name and account number(which is the number I don't normally see unless I log into my account! what make s me really worry about ).

I called MS Adcenter this morning and I'm glad that I didn't reply that email about my doubt. The rep at MS adcenter said they are getting a few calls about this suspecious email and have set up an urgent investigation on this case. She aked me to forward the email to her for the investigation.

If you receive the same email, don't reply to it!
    I will keep you posted for the further infromation.

I got the same email, and initially thought it was legitimate, and even thought that Microsoft was mistaken since my credit card hasn't yet expired, though it will expire at the end of July. Then I realized that the last-4-digits weren't familiar, so I assumed I might have used a different credit card (but of course none of my other CCs expire in June or July).

In the end, I just hit delete because I've suspended all my AdCenter campaigns anyway, and it wasn't worth figuring out what was wrong.

These phishing/spoof emails are getting cleverer and cleverer.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I got the same email, and initially thought it was legitimate, and even thought that Microsoft was mistaken since my credit card hasn't yet expired, though it will expire at the end of July. Then I realized that the last-4-digits weren't familiar, so I assumed I might have used a different credit card (but of course none of my other CCs expire in June or July)..
    That's what I thought at the beginning. Even though they got my last 4 digits wrong, I thought it might be a simply typo or system error from MS adcenter billing dept.

What worrys me a lot is how they got my account number. They can get my name, email address or even account name right, but the account number is some kind of combination of letters and numbers which I don't even familier with ...I asked the rep, she said she don't know how would they get my account number but if I don't feel secure, I should change my password...

Anyway, I've forwarded the original email to MS Adcenter, hopefully will hear back from their investigation result soon.

These phishing/spoof emails are getting cleverer and cleverer.

It's not just emails. I got a letter from "my bank" with an enclosed form asking me to update my information, sign and return the form. It asked for SSN, birthdate, etc... everything. Well formatted, well written, signed.

There was a business reply post-paid return envelope. The envelope and letterhead had what looked just like my banks correspondence. I just felt something was not right about it. I called my bank. They knew of it.

They asked me to take it to my local post office and gave me a reference number for the postal inspector. It was a phishing scam, via US mail.

I never give anyone any information for anything. If I get a request, I check first.

Wow Mack. Not sure why, but Snail Mail phishing never would have occured to me...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Wow Mack. Not sure why, but Snail Mail phishing never would have occured to me...
    They've also started 'phone phishing' in a variety of flavors. One type was in BusinessWeek last year.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...710_811021.htm

A quick tip, point the mouse over the url in the suspect email and compare the url in the satus bar at the bottom of your screen...
    Mostly genuine email notifications, the url in the email and the status bar is the same
    - Sunil

[SIZE=1]The impossibility of today is a hint of what shall be...[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I got the same email, and initially thought it was legitimate, and even thought that Microsoft was mistaken since my credit card hasn't yet expired, though it will expire at the end of July. Then I realized that the last-4-digits weren't familiar, so I assumed I might have used a different credit card (but of course none of my other CCs expire in June or July). In the end, I just hit delete because I've suspended all my AdCenter campaigns anyway, and it wasn't worth figuring out what was wrong. These phishing/spoof emails are getting cleverer and cleverer.
    I get similar emails from eBay look-a-likes and various banks. I just drag the mouse to highlight the link and note that the url address is not from the "real" source. Other than that, I make it a rule NEVER to trust an email or follow any links provided in email that is asking / suggesting / reminding me to "update" personal information. I can see where someone who is preoccupied with a hectic workload might be taken in if they are not careful, so please be careful gang.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suniliu
    A quick tip, point the mouse over the url in the suspect email and compare the url in the satus bar at the bottom of your screen...
    Mostly genuine email notifications, the url in the email and the status bar is the same
    LOL, you posted the above while I was writing the same tip sun!! Good advice.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I get several phishing emails per week, and without a doubt this is the easiest and most fool-proof way to sniff them out.

Physical email phishing? Wow. I just don't know how that can be profitable. I mean, I'm sure some people fall for it, but the expense is so much higher than with email.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    This email don't look like a phishing email at all. The url listed in the email looks real and legitimate(I didn't check that url).

They get my account name and account number right. The 3333 credit card ending appears more like MS Adcenter made a typo, but when I called yesterday, the rep put me on hold for about 15 minutes and came back saying they didn't send out an email like that and they were setting up a case investigation on it(with several other same cases).

I'd rather believe it is simply a mistake their billing dept made, otherwise, I will ask them to change my account number(haven't seen a phishing email get my bank account number).

Here is the original email titled: Your credit card is about to expire

Dear adCenter customer,
    We're writing to let you know that the Visa credit card ending in 3333 that is associated with your account is about to expire.
    Account name: XXXXXXXX
    Account number: yyyyyyyy
    To keep your ads active, please do the following:
    1. Go to https://adcenter.microsoft.com/?mkt=en-us.
    2. Sign in with your user name and password.
    3. Click the Accounts & Billing tab.
    4. On the Account List page, click yyyyyyyy, and then do one of the following:
    To change the expiration month and year for your current credit card, under Payment method, in the Expiration date drop-down lists, select a new month and year.
    To use a new credit card, click New Card, and then enter your credit card information.
    5. Click Save.
    Thank you for using adCenter.
    Sincerely,
    The Microsoft adCenter team

ABW Ambassador
    I got the investigation result from MS Adcenter today. It turn out to be their internal system mistake. Like I said, nobody can get the account number except MS Adcenter, supposly. OK, my account is safe now.

Quote from the email:
    "Thank you for sending the copy of the e-mail notification you were sent with the incorrect last 4 digits of your credit card number.

After much investigation by our Billing department, we determined this e-mail was sent in error due to an e-mail template loading issue within Microsoft adCenter. This resulted in several generic e-mails being sent to our customers in error. We are currently resolving this issue and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Microsoft often makes intresting mistakes.

If the URL's are the same do one more test. View the source code to check for any masking code in the link. Like this:

onmouseover="window.status='http://www.xxxxxxx.com';return true;" onmouseout="window.status='http://www.xxxxxxx.com';return true;">
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by fauny
    Hi.....
    This site is really cool.....
    Thanx.....
    Yes it is. Welcome to the forum.

Check the date on a post before you reply to it though.

http and a telephoto
    Closed thread and removing spam bump.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

18. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread