Gone away is the scumbird,
    here to stay is a new bird
    We're singing our song,
    as we go along,
    working in affiliate wonderland.

In the meantime we can build more websites,
    pretending there's no parasites around
    We'll have lots of fun with our new websites,
    until we're finally forced to shut them down.

When scumware's gone, it'll be so thrilling,
    Though our nose will get a chilling
    We'll frolic and play, the ecommerce way,
    working in affiliate wonderland.

Working in affiliate wonderland,
    work-iiing in affili-aaate wonder-laaand!

-------------------------------------------

P.S. Dear Santa,

We would like an Parasite Free Network
    for Christmas.

Oh, one more thing...we left you milk and cookies.
    But, when you came down the chimney
    a parasitic application was triggered.
    So, looks like someone else got your cookies.
    Sorry, Santa.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What I'd like for Christmas from ABW is for sad-sacks to quit trying to throw wet blankets on everything.

This is looking to be a record month.

If it's not as good for you, maybe that's because good things go where they are appreciated!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

JaG,

Nice iteration

=======
    Leader,

Great to hear that things are well with your sales, unfortunately, after speaking with many merchants, others [affiliates] are definitely being affected by the parasites ... I know many stats! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Whoops! I was under the impression that people could post opinions at ABW without being called names by a moderator.

No big deal, I guess. My post was an attempt at a little humor. Thought it might bring a grin to a face or two. They say the best humor has an element of truth.

Congratulations on your success. I wish success to all honest folks in the business. It's good for the affiliate industry. My businesses are doing fairly well, too. Although, they could always do better.

However, it appears that many affiliate businesses are not doing that well. I don't expect they will shut up and die a quiet death. I think everyone, successful or not, has the right to express concern over the parasite issue, or any other issue for that matter. And yes, it will eventually require cooperative effort between EVERYONE involved - Affiliates, Merchants and Networks.

Maybe some affiliates were just starting to become successful and the parasite problem has hit them hard and at the worst possible time.

If the situation remains on it's present course, even the extremely successful affiliates might not be immune. It will probably just take longer for the impact to be felt or noticed. So, I would think they should be concerned, as well.

A very profitable affiliate business may have no idea exactly how much this is impacting the bottom line. If a business is grossing 150K a year and there is say, an 8% loss to parisitic applications, that is $7500.00 of their commissions that some other business now has.

As tired as some people may be of this debate...I'm afraid it is not going away any time soon.

This is a record month and year for me but that does not by any means mean I am happy with it. I know for sure it could have been a heck of a lot better had it not been for the parasites.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    I have a couple of statements here:

1) Some segments of the industry will not be hit as hard by parasites and I would venture to guess that many of the very successful affiliates have by way of long term involvement (that has given them a high PR) in these markets have a unquiqe perspective and product area that allows for a small percent of their transactions to be pilfered.

The other side of the industry is where small affiliates can only compete in areas that are heavily infested by parasites and are hit much harder than the "sucessfull affiliate".

Consider a computer site that is aimed at selling computers to business - You could sell IBM and tiger computers and if you've got a PR of 7 or 8, you could be very successful. I find it very hard to "really compete" in this area due to not having a PR of 8.

Now lets look at the other side. A smaller affiliate trying to compete selling CD's largely to a college audience who most of them have one or more parasitic file sharing applications on their PC.

It's not hard to see the difference ehhh. Those of you who are very successful may at some point see your page rank advantage disolve away and then I suggest - you are in for a rude awakening as you try to compete on a fair level in other areas where you normally never would have.

Be careful of how critical and skeptical you are concerning the impact of parasites.

2) Completely off subject but it keeps popping up in my head and it's their right now so: Many people state that "text links" are king and that "banners" are out of date and usually non effective.

My question is - how many banners do parasites serve when they divert our commissions? The answer - 0! How many text links are used in the process of diversions? Every single overright of a cookie! Merchants and affiliates conceptions may be different if the numbers were "honestly represented" in showing where sales are generated from.

ABW Ambassador
    Similar:
    Most sales made during session of click through..

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> No big deal, I guess. My post was an attempt at a little humor. Thought it might bring a grin to a face or two. They say the best humor has an element of truth.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just A Guy,

I appreciated it and it brought a grin to my face. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] And I make exceptions to my sig line for Santa. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Just a Guy, very cute!
    I enjoyed it and you did a great job!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

ABW Ambassador
    Just A Guy,
    I like that...gave me a good laugh!

Leader,
    bah humbug to you too

Supras | Celicas

thanks Justaguy

made me up my christmas spirit more.

Great job. :-)

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread