How do you search for parasites?
    As a new AM, I've read a lot about parasites, what they are, how harmful they are to everyone, but I still am fuzzy as to how do you search for, find, and get rid of parasites in and around your program?

Any advice??

Phil Andrews
    Affiliate Executive
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 11th, 2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: trust me you don't want your email as bot fodder, plus the manual sig is a no no.

Phil,

The best method, is not only the first commandment of AM ---

Know thy affiliate!

... if you don't know who is making money with your program, you should, and know exactly how they are marketing your brand/products/offerings, not just for parasitic activities but also for brand protection and general compliance.

That said, I'm sure some one will chime in with a service or two, but in the end, Know thy affiliate, you'll be much better off, now, and long term.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    ... if you don't know who is making money with your program, you should, and know exactly how they are marketing your brand/products/offerings, not just for parasitic activities but also for brand protection and general compliance.
    Hear hear!

Online Marketing Consultant
    I would reccomend a magnifying glass and a bright light. Those buggers can be just as tricky as lice. But in reality, there are numerous ways to find them.

1. You can search through this forum and look for some of the big ones then log into your network and search your affiliates for their domain names, PIDs, etc....

2. You can contact Kelly from Affiliate Fair Play. Her services are very affordable and she is IMHO the best in the business at helping to clean a program.

3. Google search for parasite lists and look at AM blogs etc.... for more lists of them.

4. Look and see what is generating a ton of clicks but no conversions or tons of conversions with a small amount of clicks or anything that might stand out to you as odd in your program. Not all of them will turn out to be parasitic. Some might be affiliates who could use some internal advice on branding your link better within their pages. However, some of the odd behaviors will turn out to be foul play.

5. Read up on the various ways that parasites work, through sub affiliate agreements, through adware, through squatting, merchant parasites and affiliate parasites can be tricky, but when you get to know more about how they work, you begin to learn more about how to catch them.

Reading is the best way to gain knowledge if you do not or cannot outsource. This forum is a great place to start.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

I'll add that Siteadvisor.com is also a great tool..

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Phil,

Couldn't recommend more reading ParasiteWare and Merchants opposed to ParasiteWare

Gary,

Thanks for the reference to Siteadvisor.com...It is pretty straight forward, but can you outline what you look for (red flags) and how to know when a site is really bad and should be cut from the list of affiliates?

Thanks a TON!

Siteadvisor will give you flags for downloads, spam flags and some others.

Generally, when I see a green check and 'We tested this site and didn't find any significant problems.' on Siteadvisor I feel pretty good about the site. But I also will do a search here at ABW in the parasite category to see if there has been any discussion about the site I am researching.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread