3 Letter Domain/Parked?
    Well, all the domain backorder talk has me playing detective on a 3 letter domain I would love to have...(wouldn't we all love a good 3 letter domain with a .com extension!)
    The site is currently one page of googletype ads with not much else, not even a contact email.
    Anyway, I looked into the whois info and found out the admin contact and the registrant contact info. Emailed the admin contact and received no reply at all.
    Search of the registrant brings up other sites owned by same, one of which is a site for a domain name reseller.
    So, what now? Anyone have an idea of how to proceed?
    That's what I get for lusting after a 3 letter url, oh what lofty visions I have, LOL.

Don't expect it to be cheap. You're looking at $5000+...perhaps MUCH more than that, depending on what the domain is and what kind of owner has it.

A 3 letter .com would probably be at least ten times that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    A 3 letter .com would probably be at least ten times that.
    Not necessarily. Some 3-letter combos are strong, and some are weak. There have been several sales in the $4k-$7k range recently.
    http://www.domainnews.com/general/10...dotcom-report/

ABW Ambassador
    What did you say to the domain owner in your email? He probably gets so many emails about his domain that he just no longer responds to them. That's what I do. I get an average of 1 or 2 such emails per month. They consistently offer to buy my domain for 20% to 40% of what my site earns in ONE MONTH indicating they clearly have absolutely no idea what the value is. I do not wish to enter into a dialogue with this type of person.

People have different reasons for sitting on what could otherwise be a valuable domain name. My cousin, a lawyer who is known internationally as an expert on domain name disputes, registered a domain name in 1999 that would be extremely valuable to an experienced affiliate. The domain has never been developed beyond a parked page and he's turned down 6 figure offers. Even if he has no desire to develop a site himself, if he hired someone to do that and to maintain it on his behalf, he would have earned millions of dollars over the past 8 years since he's owned the domain. Go figure!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    Search of the registrant brings up other sites owned by same, one of which is a site for a domain name reseller.
    How do you do this registrant search?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    if it's NetSol you can run a whois of NIC Handle from the command line.
    otherwise it can be a real PITA.

oziman

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Not necessarily. Some 3-letter combos are strong, and some are weak. There have been several sales in the $4k-$7k range recently.
    http://www.domainnews.com/general/10...-dotcom-report
    Wow! I wouldn't have expected that, even with the weak ones. Great article. Still, approaching someone who isn't actively trying to sell their domain would probably need an offer quite a bit higher than that to get any attention.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Nice article. I think a 3 letter domain is useful but the equity built into it plays a big factor.

http://iptools.com

which lands you on....

http://www.domaintools.com/

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    I don't see where to do a registrant search there similar to what the OP described. I understood him to mean that he could search a person's name and get a list of all domains that person has registered. If so, where do I do that on the site you linked? Or did I misunderstand what the OP meant?

I can't remember the exact wording of my email but it was to the extent of I am interested in the domain and would appreciate a heads up if it were to ever go up for sale so I could throw my hat in the ring, something like that. Maybe I should throw out a real dollar amount and see if there's any feedback.
    I am well aware that their one page of links could be bringing in good $ though. Maybe they are happy with that and have no want to sell. You just never know.
    (BTW, The domain I want has TWO of the weak letters in it according to that interesting article!)

Oh, I initially found the registrant for the 3 letter from the registrar of the domain. From there I just googled the company name that was registered and it came back with results for the company on pages showing other domains. It was probably not all inclusive of what is owned by them but it did show me some other sites of theirs that are similarly "parked".

I don't see where to do a registrant search there similar to what the OP described. I understood him to mean that he could search a person's name and get a list of all domains that person has registered. If so, where do I do that on the site you linked? Or did I misunderstand what the OP meant?
    Try this one.

http://dnextractor.com/

<edit>

never mind. Tried it, it's broke. It worked before, sorta. I put one of mine in and it showed half of em. Now, nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, no matter what URL is entered, it says "Can't get URL." I'll keep trying. Let me know if you get it to work.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread