Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Affiliate Summit Travel Horror Stories
    I could write pages about what a horrible travel experience I had going and coming.

If I never see Miami Intl. airport again in my life, it'll be fine. Spent 7 hours there yesterday waiting for a flight into Los Angeles and now wondering where my luggage is. Arghhhhhhhh

Hope everyone else had a better travel experience.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    my flight to boston was an hour late with no air conditioning in the building. but overall it was fine. sorry for your long wait
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Heh. We left Miami early actually. I was shocked. Was told we would get into Dallas 25 minutes early. Was ecstatic. Then found out bad weather was coming from the north. Ended up 10 minutes late.

Another of those cases where the 10 minutes late would have been ok but my expectations were changed when they offered 25 minutes early.

I think there's a lesson in there about over offering and under performing : )

I guess I was lucky. My flight was at 8:20pm on Tuesday night, so I left the hotel right after the Lessons Learned session just in case there was bad traffic during rush hour. Traffic was fine, and my plane even left (and arrived) on time. There was another flight at my gate that was supposed to leave before mine but got rescheduled to almost 1 AM.

The Miami airport sure could use an upgrade!

If I never see Miami Intl. airport again in my life, it'll be fine. Spent 7 hours there yesterday waiting for a flight into Los Angeles and now wondering where my luggage is. Arghhhhhhhh
    Were you stuck due to that tower that caught fire? Was watching the news when I got into Seattle and realized that I'd escaped just in time.

Miami Intl definitely isn't the nicest airport. I got a little worried traveling there when they marked all my luggage "M.I.A." I thought the airport had decided to dispense with random bags being lost, and had started just losing a percentage right off the start.

Cheers,
    Patrick Armstrong
    Online Marketing Manager, ethicalDeal.com
    patrick@ethicaldeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by parmstro
    Were you stuck due to that tower that caught fire? Was watching the news when I got into Seattle and realized that I'd escaped just in time.

Miami Intl definitely isn't the nicest airport. I got a little worried traveling there when they marked all my luggage "M.I.A." I thought the airport had decided to dispense with random bags being lost, and had started just losing a percentage right off the start.

Cheers,
    Heh heh heh ... I didn't know anything about a tower catching fire, it was just a nightmare all around. I was told that many flights out were cancelled due to bad weather and so the chaos was increased.

My luggage is still MIA - yeah, they should change that Acro. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

http and a telephoto
    The tower wasn't an issue, it was weather. My luggage just showed up today. I got home when I was supposed to, but not on the flights I was scheduled for and I hate Delta.... second bad experience with them in a row. Suitcase is busted too. Haven't checked the contents yet.

Summit was great, travel into and out of Miami SUCKED.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

Summit was great, travel into and out of Miami SUCKED.
    Yep, if the summit wasn't so much fun, the travel horrors would have been harder to accept.

Still waiting for my luggage to land somewhere. Glad you got yours, Deb. I have so many goodies in my suitcases for my kids and it's killing me not to be able to play Santa Claus and hand them all out. :-( Getting my clothes, makeup and cosmetics will be a plus, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Online Marketing Consultant
    3 hours on the darn runway because there were clouds in D.C., and then we finally took off. This wouldn't have been soo bad if the guy next to me wasn't picking his nose and flicking it and actually took showers!!!!!!

Sorry your trip home wasn't very pleasent either. But your right, Affiliate Summit makes it much more tolerable considering the great time you have before you have to travel.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager
    Delta lost my luggage on the way to Miami. I took the red eye Saturday night, so the prospect of manning my Meet Market table with no clean clothes (or pajamas), makeup or hair brush when I hadn't slept was not very pleasant.

Luckily, my luggage arrived on the next flight from Atlanta. (Luckily, I decided to hang out at the airport, just in case.) Unfortunately, all of my personal clothing (as opposed to the samples for the table) were completely soaked. In the humidity of Miami it took in some cases 24 hours for my clothes to dry out.

Then yesterday my flight from Miami to Atlanta was late getting into Atlanta. I was supposed to have 1.75 hours in between flights. Instead I had 15 minutes and I had to get to another terminal. It was the fastest I ran in a long time. (Must start exercising!) I made the flight by the skin of my teeth. Total nightmare!

But... amazingly, my luggage made it back to Vegas just fine. Go figure.

Melissa C. Murphy
    CrazyforBargains.com: Fun Sleepwear for the Whole Family
    12% Commission | 365 Day Cookie | Winner ABW Best Affiliate Program Award 2006
    Join Today!

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Mine and my daughters horror story started in Ft Lauderdale and mine finally ended at midnight, only 5 hrs after I should have been home to Tampa, however, hers was ongoing until midmorning wednesday after sleeping in a cold airport in Atlanta with no food and about 80 furious people.

Have to agree the summit was worth it though.

Just got off the phone with American Airlines - "Miami is down to 1600 pieces of luggage" that still need to be re-connected with their owners. So, this whole baggage trauma is a Miami Intl. issue. That sure makes me love that airport even more!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    MIA is a crazy airport but it is the largest hub for South America. Was there in 1999 and it was chaotic but much better than the airport in good ol' Louisiana airport.

Whenever I travel, I try to not check in any luggage if possible.

Brian of Pingo, I thought you are not going or you were looking for tickets (from Haiko's ticket give away thread)

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Mine had to be the cab ride to the hotel from the airport. Somehow the cabbie got lost, got pulled over, got 2 traffic tickets amounting to almost $500 in fines total plus three points on his license. So what should have been a short ride took almost an hour and a half.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Internet Cowboy
    I paid $70 for a shuttle to Lauderdale and will 100% of the time to avoid the Miami airport. I have been through Miami several times and have had problems every single time. The Lauderdale airport is SO nice and clean and non crazy. I should have posted that before and maybe at least a few people would have avoided it.
    Our only glitch was sitting on the ground in Houston for an hour or two waiting for storms in Dallas to clear, but we were on the plane, at the gate. They said we could go inside, but the plane was empty and cool and the staff on the plane were very nice, so we just hung out there.
    Awesome Summit! Sorry about your woes folks. I should have done a better job of telling you how bad the Miami airport is.

Here's the story on the control tower fire at Miami:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070711/...t_tower_fire_7

I think that only had a minor impact on flights, since it wasn't an active tower.

Like Deb, I flew Delta (same flight for the first leg) and had delays. It seems like all flights in and out of Atlanta were delayed, and unfortunately that's where all the Delta flights seemed to go. I was able to get on an earlier flight that ended up leaving about when my original flight was supposed to leave. My original flight would have been almost two hours late (although I still would have made my connection because it was two hours late too).

My flight from Atlanta to Dallas was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen (other than LMI). They had a plane in the hanger. They had passengers (plus about 80 extra on standby). They had a crew waiting at the gate. But they apparently couldn't get a tug to bring the plane to the gate until about an hour after we were supposed to board, and then it took another hour to do a security screen of the plane before we were allowed to board. To make matters worse, the gate agent told me that they would be serving a meal so I held off eating but there was no meal. I ended up getting home after 1am (and it felt like 2am).

I slept in this morning and took a nap this afternoon!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Scooter, thanks for the Fort Lauderdale tip, will do that in the future if I have to go back to Miami. I think JetBlue goes there. I will be avoiding Delta like the plague in the future. Michael, that is what happened on my last trip on Delta before this one. Flight crew was hanging out with the passengers saying WTF like the rest of us.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wow, some bad stuff gang. Our flight to Denver was about 1:45 late taking off, but from there it went well. Our problem was that the flight crew for our flight was coming in on a flight from Philly, and the Philly flight was late.

My flight from Denver to miami was right on time last week, but when we hit Miami it took well over an hour for baggage from our flight to come down the belt.

As for Miami Intl - kind of a third world quality to it for sure. The building is way outdated and so many of the folks who work there have bad attitudes, but hey, not the first time a bad attitude worked in the transportation business.

I can see why people avoid the Miami airport, but luckily we made it back without too much problem. Next year I may fly in to Ft. Lauderdale and hopefully that'll solve the problem.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I actually made a video of the fire which is posted on youtube. I saw it catch fire and burn, it was wild to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    3 hours on the darn runway because there were clouds in D.C., and then we finally took off. This wouldn't have been soo bad if the guy next to me wasn't picking his nose and flicking
    OMG, I would have totally BARFED! You poor thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    It was an American Airlines tower
    Maybe that's where they stashed all the missing luggage. I didn't see or hear anything and I was at the airport most of the day.

Has sanyone else figured out that most of our travel plans were created while Mercury was retrograde? Doh - Classic examples of that little bast*rd.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all the problems. Fortunately I had a very smooth flight and even arrived in Orange County 20 minutes early. Angel was on my flight and we had a nice talk during our layover in Houston. My only complaint was this passenger sitting next to me who kept jabbing me with his elbow as I was trying to nap.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    ...Sorry about your woes folks. I should have done a better job of telling you how bad the Miami airport is.
    I don't know, Scoot (and Alan), Having been through the Miami airport four times, I can say that it is one of fairly decent airports out there. There are some (even within the U.S.) that are much less efficient, clean, etc...

Anyway. I have had a great time over the past 12 days. During that time I took off and landed (thank you, God, for letting me land every time I take off) 10 times, crossed 8 hours of time zones, visited most of the East Coast of the U.S.A. (i.e. by getting out of the airports and having meetings with people, etc), and the only unfortunate thing that happened to me was one of my suitcases not getting loaded aboard when transferring flights at JFK yesterday. My final destination on that trip was Moscow, Russia, and I got a bit worried that having left Moscow for St. Petersburg (a separate segment of my trip), I will have to come back to Moscow to pick up my missing suitcase when it finally makes it to Moscow. However, Delta staff was very helpful, and promised to deliver the suitcase right to my door in St. Pete today or tomorrow (I arrived here yesterday), regardless of my yesterday's Delta flight ending in Moscow. Very much looking forward to its arrival (as it is packed with gifts for my little Princess, and my new waders too )

Sorry some of you had a hard time traveling back and forth this time. I hope your future travels will be more exciting...

Geno

P.S.:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    My only complaint was this passenger sitting next to me who kept jabbing me with his elbow as I was trying to nap.
    I think one may easily write a satire genre story on elbows on air flights (there is so much emotion involved in elbow-elbow, elbow-shoulder, elbow-body, even elbow-head contact on the plains!)

Affiliate Manager
    I thought that my flight to the Summit was bad until I tried to get home...

My itinerary to Miami on Friday was a flight leaving home at 6:30am to New York and then onto and arriving in Miami at 11:30am. However, my first flight was cancelled and changed to leaving at 3:00pm. This, combined with a 2 hour delay at New York, caused me not to arrive in Miami until 9:00pm. I lost my planned 'pool day' but it was nothing compared to my flight back.

On Wednesday I was scheduled to leave at 3:00pm with a stop in New York and then home landing at 10:30pm. I arrived at the airport a bit early, around noon, to offset the line-ups and 90 minute check-in required for International flights. My gate was D39 which was quite a walk. When I finally got there I was informed that the gate had been changed to A17 which was an even longer walk - about 25 minutes away! It was a nice touch by MIA to include the distance in time that you are from your destination - "Gates A - 16 minutes". Once there and settled in a chair I was then notified of another gate change, this time to A10.

We boarded the plane at 3:30, past our scheduled departure. Once on board we were notified of weather in New York that would delay us further. We left the gate at 4:00pm.

Around 7:00pm after sitting on the tarmac for 3 hours in the sweltering heat of Miami (occasionally the pilot would turn on the engines to try to get the AC to work a bit) we returned to the gate to refuel. At 7:30pm we finally took off.

We landed around 10:00pm but because of the other delayed flights arriving it took until 10:30 to disembark the plane. Obviously I missed my connecting flight home.

I found my way to the ticketing stations and after a half hour wait I reached an agent. I was told that since my connecting flight was cancelled and since no other flights were leaving that night they would give me a voucher for a hotel room and a couple of meal tickets (Great, I thought...). I was also given 2 options, the first was a standby on a flight flying direct at 10:30am the next day and if I failed getting on that one I was booked for Boston at 2:30pm and connect from there are 7:30 pm to get me home around 10:00pm.

To get to the hotel I had to take a train to the shuttle and then a ride through town. When I finally arrived at the hotel I was told that there were no rooms available - no rooms! I had to wait for the next shuttle to get back to the train and then back to the airport. It was now 12:00am Thursday.

When I got back to the airport the line-up was longer. It took another 3 hours to get to an agent! When I finally did get an agent I was told that the only hotel available was a 2 hour ride away! Since I was hoping to catch the 10:30 flight it didn't make sense to take the hotel, I would basically get there only to catch the next ride back.

I spent the night sleeping in a chair; being woken every 10 minutes with the warning to not let anyone give me anything and that there was no smoking in the airport. Finally at 6:30am I went looking for something to eat. I hadn't eaten since noon the previous day. When I arrived last night all shops were closed.

To make a long story shorter I was lucky enough to get the last seat on the 10:30am flight which got me home around 1pm Thursday, 24 hours after I started.

In all the years of travelling I have never experienced such a flight. BTW - In my rant above I left out the expletives, the frustration and general disgust that would have been expressed had I wrote this on Thursday.

Still it was a great Summit!

PS: Strangely enough my bags arrived with me...

The Beachside Team arrived at the airport for a 11:15 am direct flight from MIA to LAX.

1) Ethan lost his boarding pass before security, almost didnt make it to the gate before take off after finding it in the trash.

2) Plane delayed due to "Routine maintenance". We actually boarded about the time we were supposed to leave.

3) On plane one hour notified, while still sitting at the gate, its actually a hydralic problem being fixed, 3 hours later, we are ready for take off.

4) Pilot comes on telling us we are ready to leave in a few minutes but as things go, if we look out of our left hand side of the airplane, there was a SMALL structure fire, which he didnt know how it would effect our ability to take off. Our plane was the first plane on the right hand side of the tower on fire, literally 300 yards from it. Now pilot comes on saying "Um we are leaving immediately"! We pushed back along with all the other planes on that concourse, I assume so we didnt all blow up. SCARY!

5) We arrive at LAX to NO luggage, while in line waiting to make a claim, they FOUND one more baggage cart with our luggage.

6) We were supposed to arrive at 1:30 pm, we arrived at 4pm, in car by 5pm, just in time for RUSH HOUR traffic.

7) Home after 7PM. WHEW!

I agree with all, Affiliate Summit was well worth the headaches! And how was your trip?

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast