ABW Ambassador
    A Few Current Articles - including an interview with Geno
    Going in reverse time-order, there's the interview the editor did with Geno in time with Affiliate Summit (in blog posts).

http://www.smallbiztrends.com/2007/0...ecosystem.html

Then Jim Kukral's take on current and future opportunities

http://www.smallbiztrends.com/2007/0...portunity.html

And then one on marketing to Boomer women (over 50)

http://www.smallbiztrends.com/2007/0...wealthier.html

Slightly out of order, I'm not personally thrilled with Kukral's emphasis on what I take to be Web 2.0 opportunities, not being a fan of Web 2.0 (Sorry, Snib)

Then, on the one about marketing to women, while Boomer women may be "happier and wealthier" I think restricting to an age group is limiting the possibilities and issues related to marketing to the women's market in a more widely applicable way. There are PLENTY of women under 50 (some way younger) who do shop and spend online regularly.

I thought the interview with Geno didn't really do justice; it seemed to be "cut short" midstream - like part of it was truncated. Also, if we think about it, we can note that Geno manages a few programs that would definitely target and appeal to women shoppers (moms, grandma's, etc.) and probably attract female affiliates.

I hate to put anyone on the spot, but I'd kind of like to hear what Geno would have to say about marketing to women - particularly about women's type product affiliate programs. Marketing to this sector probably deserves a lot more attention than it's being given and I'm sure a lot of us here at ABW operate in areas that fit that niche.

Thank you for noticing this, WW, and sorry for not being able to reply to your post earlier. Had to get some sleep after that looooong over-the-Pond trip yesterday...

We had a wonderful time chatting with Anita at the summit, and she did a great job putting most of what we talked about into an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I hate to put anyone on the spot, but I'd kind of like to hear what Geno would have to say about marketing to women - particularly about women's type product affiliate programs...
    Any affiliate manager in charge of a program geared primarily at women (whatever age) must remember that women are generally more sensitive and more emotional than men. From my personal experience and what I have read, women eagerly participate in online contests, more frequently react to call-for-action newsletters, generally love promo campaigns, love reading blogs (thematically relevant to the demographic you're targeting), viewing online videos, and normally pay great attention (and are influenced by) testimonials on the merchant's website. Another important fact to remember is that women have a purchasing power of 75%-80% of the family's boys; and they generally do more online shopping than men too (especially during the holiday season).

There are a few good forums and blogs on marketing to women online out there, and anyone running women-geared online operations should do more research and more reading (there are a few good books on this too).

Geno

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread