It's frustrating not being able to see Google page ranking on my site's pages, or the pages I link to or that link to me - I'm a confirmed Mac addict and refuse to work on anything else as long as Macintosh is still in business. But I've been considering buying the absolute cheapest PC possible, solely for the purposes of using the Google toolbar and perhaps testing out parasite stuff (a cheap PC I am willing to screw up with that junk "for the purposes of scientific research"). So what's the bargain-basement price for a PC these days? I know they're way cheaper than Macs. If my finances hold up over the next couple of months I may actually go out and git me one if it's not too high.

J

I am sort of in the opposite situation ... I have three boxes in my house: Linux (which I use all the time), Windows 98 (when I have to), and Macintosh. I got the Macintosh last month, and I use it to see what my web pages look like on a Mac and hope to port some of my applications (I'm a programmer). I got a used G3/233 for $175 and it works great.

Anyway, if the PC is just for experimentation, you can get a new PC for $250 if you shop around. The monitor will cost $100 to $200 more. I've had success shopping through pricewatch.com, although some people warn about shady merchants online.

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, seeing pretty reasonable PC systems in major retail stores around $250 (well, a *few* dollars more than that). Should be easy to come up with a used monitor for $30 or $40 if you check your local classifieds.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

You might also try some of your local thrift stores. My local Salvation Army always has monitors for around $5.00. Sometimes they have 2-3 year old “dinosaur” computers dirt cheep too.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

A dinosaur would probably work, since all that's ever gonna run on it is Internet Explorer, maybe another browser... but not even at the same time.

J

You might want to checkout Tiger Direct, they have some as low as $330, and looks like a nice machine. They also have monitors as low as $60.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And of course don't forget to check ebay and half.com. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] You can find some really good deals there, especially on an older used computer. Just be sure to check the feedback really well.

A dinosaur will do you just fine for browsing. I have a computer I bought back in 96 or 97 that wasn't even top of the line then. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Think it might be a 489 processor. Even it ran all kinds of apps outside of browsing. LOL. It actually wasn't that bad. I went from it, to a Pentium IV. I still forget that I can have more than 3 apps going at the same time now!

I really need to get more comfortable using the Mac I have. It sits there more often than it should.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

[This message was edited by BLFH on December 24, 2002 at 08:15 AM.]

Macs are beautiful machines, right enough.
    Six years ago I worked on the CompuServe support desk.

About 20% of CompuServe customers at the time were Mac users.
    We used to dread receiving Mac calls because none of us knew what a Mac looked like (heck, we didn't even know how to switch one on .....)

After 18 months I moved to the European Apple Assistance Centre and started doing Mac support.
    (It was just at the time the iMac was released).

We had to suppport Clarisworks on PC, and all the reps were terrified of receiving PC calls...

Given a choice, I'd rather sit in front of a Mac, but I have to use a PC for various reasons.
    Don't know what the US market is like but computers have plummeted in price and you should be able to pick up a machine very cheaply.

Radegast
    diamonds-are-forever.org

janiss,

Overstock is selling this Dell P2 for $299.00:

"This affordable Dell Optiplex is perfect for all of your home applications.

Enjoy it for budgets, gaming, homework, or just surfing the Web. The Dell name is synonymous with quality and reliability. Use the Optiplex as a starter system, or with it's built-in 10/100 network card, it's also a perfect addition to your home's existing technology.

Don't pass up this great deal at our low online price.
    Processor: 233MHz Intel Pentium II
    System memory: 64MB
    Hard drive: 3.2GB
    Optical drive: 24x CD-ROM
    Sound: integrated
    Network: 10/100Mbps Ethernet
    Modem: 56K
    External ports: two serial, one parallel
    Monitor: 17-inch (various brands)
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 95
    This complete system comes with 17-inch monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse."

Nick

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    By the TigerDirect special above or another choice from this trusted source. It will actually cost you nothing. Use it for 2 years and you'll still be able to get 30.00 for it at the flea market or local newspaper Ads.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

I have a pc I'll sell you for $1399. It's great and you'll love it.

Let Fear Be Far from All

Janiss,

My PC, I got at a local dealer who also builds their own PC's. It cost me 349.00 and came with a 40 gig hard drive and 1.2ghz processer. It is great for what I do. I already had the monitor. This was a sweet deal.

So, a local shop may be able to build you one for just as much as you can order from the big guys, but you'll have the advantage of face to face support.

LOL at Heyder! If I had that kind of money to throw around, I'd get an iMac laptop!

What Webmaster Mike says is intriguing - maybe I should go to a flea market with $30 now and see what I can scrounge up! That way I'll save about $270 or so. :-)

Seriously, I don't want anything remotely nice. I want something that can handle your basic 56K dial-up connection and a couple of browsers, that's it. Anything more that I need, I go sit in front of my little Mac friend.

J

Speaking of laptops, I suppose desktops still have a place as long as they're cheaper.

However, if you can afford it and don't have one, go with a laptop. That'll afford maximum versatility. I gave my desktop to one of my daughters.

I still use a standard keyboard, flat panel monitor and optical mouse. Works just the same as a desktop, except I can pick it up and take my business anywhere with me.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Janiss,

Here's an example of what you can find on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31502

A dutch auction on a Compaq Pentium 2 with the highest bid $60. For just surfing, you can make out just fine with a 400 MHz processor. Yeah, the pages will load slower than what you are probably used to, but if you are just doing testing and checking, so what? Just scoot back over to the Mac to make changes while the next page loads. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Hm, I've never done eBay before, maybe I should. I mean, basically I'm just buying a Google toolbar with a computer to go around it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

J

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread