Internet Cowboy
    DHL just can't figure it out!
    Before Summit I ordered some bedding online from a merchant who ships via DHL. I get back from Summit, check the status, (it was scheduled for delivery the day we left) and they say they can't find my house.
    UPS can find my house. I can see a picture of it on Google Earth and I see the address in Google Maps, Mapquest and everywhere else I look.
    Furthermore, today the DHS guy calls me and I gave him turn by turn directions and he still can't find it. I am one mile out of the city limits on a street with some 30 or so other homes. I have given the same directions to friends and family who have visited and they drove right to it, but a billion dollar company can't find me.
    I'll not order anything else from a merchant who ships with DHL

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    It is my expereince that DHL in general is clueless. I used to run a retail store on the most famous street in a metropolitan city. They guaranteed overnight delivery on a monthly package we sent intra company. I was there for a year and a half and the package was never on time.

I could call and get a refund becuase the overnight delivery was expensive and they never made it.

Or they would try to deliver at 8 in the morning to a retail store with the hours on our account and on the door of the building. And then they would give up and not try to come back... you know when we open at ten.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Before Summit I ordered some bedding online from a merchant who ships via DHL. I get back from Summit, check the status, (it was scheduled for delivery the day we left) and they say they can't find my house.
    UPS can find my house. I can see a picture of it on Google Earth and I see the address in Google Maps, Mapquest and everywhere else I look.
    Furthermore, today the DHS guy calls me and I gave him turn by turn directions and he still can't find it. I am one mile out of the city limits on a street with some 30 or so other homes. I have given the same directions to friends and family who have visited and they drove right to it, but a billion dollar company can't find me.
    Weird Scoot - I just got a shipment of bedding delivered here that originally had an address in Mineola, TX? Oh well, at least it was already paid for!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager
    DHL...
    2 years ago, in the winter time, I ordered something from a merchant that uses them. I was watching out of my front window and seen the truck drive right by my house. Didn't even slow down... After waiting for an hour, thinking the driver would come back, I called them and they told me that the driver felt that my driveway was not cleared enough to make the delivery. I told them whatever since I drove my little Impala through my driveway a couple times that day.

So the next morning I shoveled my driveway and got it nice and clear. What does the DHL driver do? Pull over onto the shoulder of the road in front of my house where the main street plow truck just pushed a nice load of snow (and it was clear the day before). The driver then walks up to my door from the road and puts my package on the porch and walks back to his truck.

So make sure you have your driveways shoveled in the winter time so those DHL drivers have a clear path to walk through from the snow covered shoulders in front of your house.

I have a long list of horror stories about delivery, and most of them involve DHL, Airborne, and Emery (which I believe are now merged into DHL).

(1) DHL, Airborne and Emery all reported many times that they "attempted delivery but no one was home," on days when I did not leave my home office all day. I never had this issue with FedEx or UPS (perhaps because they had regular drivers who delivered something to me at least once a week, and often 2-3 days per week).

I think the real issue with was that the drivers for DHL, Airborne, or Emery didn't want to climb the stairs from the street to my door (when I lived in the hills above Berkeley, California). I know they had very high turnover (I rarely saw the same delivery guy twice), and I suspect they had tight delivery schedules or quotas. And admittedly, delivering to my house required driving up a narrow winding road and then climbing 60+ stone steps (equivalent to 3-4 floors) to my door, which was guaranteed to take longer than "average."

But that excuse disappeared when I moved my office into a mid-size office building in Pleasanton, California, with multiple full-time reception staff, and yet delivery was not much improved when DHL or Airborne were involved (I think Emery was gone by then).

(2) My favorite story involved a long-overdue "urgent" package delivered to my home office in Berkeley, but the Emery driver claimed that my address did not exist -- not once, not twice, but on three separate dates. After the shipper and I had complained multiple times, a dispatcher finally conferenced me to the driver's cell phone while he was on my street, and the driver insisted to me that my house number did not exist. My reply: "I am looking out my window, and I see your truck directly in front of my house. Look at the wall five feet ahead of you, where the house number is painted in large letters, or look at the mailbox five feet behind you, which also has the house number in large letters." While I talked, he first ducked down inside the truck, then realized I could still see his face, and he finally he waved at me and trudged up the steps with my package.

But not all my delivery snafus belong to DHL/Airborne/Emery.

(3) Going way back to 1983-1984, I remember working at BYTE magazine, which shared a large parking lot with the local post office (in Peterborough, New Hampshire). Unfortunately, although the post office "sort of guaranteed" that an Express Mail package sent from anywhere in the US would be delivered to us "the next day," the USPS delivery truck almost never reached our post office before closing time, but they didn't want to admit the problem nor refund fees to shippers, so nearly every Express Mail shipment was fraudulently marked "attempted but no response, 4:59pm".

No matter how often we told people that Express Mail would NOT arrive the next day (while FedEx would), nobody wanted to pay extra so they'd almost always take the risk once. But each PR and ad agency made this mistake only once, since each mistake meant that their client's materials would not appear in the magazine.

(4) Lest you conclude that FedEx is safe, I had a nightmare experience once (in the mid-1990s) where I used the FedEx "next-day early delivery" option, because the recipient absolutely, positively needed the item before 9am. No delivery attempt was made that entire day, but when I followed up, I was told that the driver had attempted delivery not once but twice before 8:30am. In fact, the recipient was literally sitting on the front steps from 7:30 until 9:30 that morning, and no FedEx truck even drove down the street. After several days of fiercely defending their "attempted delivery claim," FedEx finally acknowledged that no delivery attempt had actually been made, and reluctantly credited the fee ($50 or $60, I think, for delivery of a one-page document); the actual cost to the recipient for not having the document was more than $1,000.

(5) Last month, I tried diligently to follow up on a FedEx second-day package whose tracking data showed the pickup, the local-airport scan, and the Memphis scan, but absolutely no subsequent activity. After a week, FedEx simply had no explanation for where the package had gone; there were no weather or equipment issues, nor any other problems they could identify. Under the circumstances, the client chose to ship a replacement at no charge (reversing the original charge for the item and shipping fees, but delivering the item by next-day-air anyway).

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    !!

I use the post office for some shipments, but the rest go DHL. After a certain weight and/or distance, the post office's prices soar. I've got flat-rate shipping on Merchant Site #2, so DHL sees a lot of business from that one.

GoodBulbs orders have always gone Priority Mail, and I prefer that for bulbs, but I changed my Terms to allow other carriers this year after getting socked with a few heavy, multi-box orders to Calif last year.

Personally I cuss the fact that my wholesalers use UPS!! They could get the stuff here for half the cost if they used DHL, so I wish they'd switch! DHL knows where I am and even knows not to knock on the door at some godawful time of the day. UPS always hammers on it so loud it sounds like a construction crew

I've had good luck shipping with DHL. I only had to call them once to prod them to actually deliver. Although I did watch with interest as one package took a slight 1000-mile detour(!) as seen in the tracking, but they managed to get it there only a day late. Fortunately it wasn't time sensitive!

UPS, on the other hand...usually they're fine (except for the absolutely ridiculous fees they charge [maybe if I ship 1000 things a month there's a deal, but!]!!!), but I do have a horror story about getting an item from them. Not to mention the aforementioned door-hammering.

When I bought this computer, I had it shipped here via UPS. I waited up for the delivery, only to watch the truck zoooom by without even slowing down!! So I IMMEDIATELY called the local hub and they gave me some absolute BS that the truck was "off the road" because the driver had--get this--"lost his gas cap!"

Grrrr... So I waited the next day...same thing...Zooooomm!

I knew that after 3 days they'd send it back with some bogus excuse, so after it happened the THIRD time, I jumped in my car and chased the idiot down. He said "I--I would have come back!" but I didn't believe it and had him fork over the computer right there, in the street, a block away.

I'm absolutely sure he just didn't want to carry the 50+ lb. box to the door. Fortunately, that guy didn't last long.

FedEx, now there's a delivery company I really don't like. If I get something from there, it usually comes late. And as for shipping with them, forget it--the only way to use them here (for anything larger than an envelope) is to drop the thing off at Kinko's!! Our local Kinko's are all staffed by idiots that I wouldn't trust with a mop and bucket, let alone my packages. So FedEx is right out of consideration.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    We use DHL almost 3 years now, we have less claims than when we used UPS. (getting claims paid by UPS was like pulling teeth) One of the main reasons we switched was in the last year with UPS we had $8,000 in unpaid claims.

No one is happy about receiving a damaged item even if you replace it.
    That results in lower costs and happy customers.

The nice thing my shipping dept likes is they will call us with a their driver on the other end waiting for info if they can't find a place, and get it delivered, try that with UPS.

We ship a lot of glass items many do go USPS.

When there is a problem we can get our sales rep to track it down within an hour or so.

Lastly they ship a lot of live fish, aquarium plants and frozen food, all time sensitive.
    Most of these fish orders are saltwater fish order values of $300-$800 dollars are average size, they all get there.

So Scooter it's more likely a bad driver or local office, it certainly is the exception IMO.
    If you contact the local dispatch it should get squared away.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

In my books, DHL ain't to shabby. When you call the customer service, you are able to get hold of somebody and possibly get connected to the driver.

UPS and Fedex. Call.. "Hello? hello?" 10 minutes later you are still waiting for a person. And when you get a person, their answer is, "Wait at home so that they can deliver it between 12-6pm?"
    Most people have a FT job.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    If you contact the local dispatch it should get squared away.
    It was local dispatch that I gave turn-by-turn directions to...and they still can't find me. I agree, it is a local problem. Apparently their local office is just not full of bright people.

It seems to vary considerably depending on the local driver. I hardly ever receive anything DHL (although I did get one DHL package this week). I get a lot of UPS (which is excellent for me), a fair bit through USPS (which is awful), and some FedEx (which is awful).

Our postal delivery person is a moron. We get quite a bit of mail for various neighbors, and neighbors often bring us our mail when it ends up in their box. I've had quite a few bills never show up. I'm organized well enough that the regular bills get paid anyway, but sometimes the missing odd bills have caused problems. When we put mail in the box to go out, half of the time he puts the flag down and doesn't take the mail. He leaves packages on the front porch without knocking or ringing the bell. We usually leave and enter through the garage, so sometimes we don't realize there's a package sitting there for days.

FedEx will just drop packages off in front of our garage door and not let us know. They almost never come to the front door, knock, or ring the bell. I just know we're going to run over one of the packages one day, not realizing it's there. I've also had several times when they've said they attempted delivery when they didn't.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Our local Kinko's are all staffed by idiots that I wouldn't trust with a mop and bucket, let alone my packages.
    Off topic, I know, but every Kinko's I've been in must be staffed by these guys cousins or something. They all stink!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread