ABW Ambassador
    Would a website campaign fail with a "free" website?
    Although I've just started trying to work with DTM PPC, I have some ideas bouncing around in my head for a website, but I don't feel I'm at a stage where I have the resources or experience to invest in hosting and a domain name.

So, would a website made through companies like; Microsoft Office Live, freewebs.com, etc, be doomed to failure if I tried to make a page to get people to buy products from a merchant? Would it have any chance of getting organic clicks or showing up anywhere near the top of search results? And if yes, does anyone know of a good company this would work with?

Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, I didn't see it.. and I know, most things in life aren't free, but it never hurts to ask, right?

My first website was on $19.00/mo hosting, open source CMS, and the domain was bought for $40 for 5 years.

I think it made 20 or 30k 4 years ago.

So I would argue you are in a position to pay for a site, especially if you are running DTM PPC...

But hell. Try it at Squidoo, or Wordpress, or Blogger. You never know.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Yes.
    Domain: godaddy.com
    Hosting: http://www.google.com/search?q=cheap+hosting

ABW Ambassador
    So I would argue you are in a position to pay for a site, especially if you are running DTM PPC...
    I actually haven't made a sale yet, LOL.

And thanks to you both for the responses. I'll look into those suggestions.

Hardaka,
    You can get a .com domain name for under $10 just about anywhere. I think ABW even sells them for $8.49. (watch for the banner ads at the top of the site)

There are a couple of web hosts here that offer ABW members a very basic hosting package for free. I think one of them even offers multi-domain hosting. So, you could buy 2 domains for $20 or less for a year. Host a site promoting the host and a site for your project. You can search for previous messages about this and ask if you would qualify for their program.

You are now in business for under $20 a year.

Not trying to be mean or rude, but this industry has the lowest cost barrier of entry of any business in the world. (not counting the cost of learning) But you have to do a little of this research on your own.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, no, I didn't find that rude at all. I felt stupid asking this to begin with, but one can learn from being stupid, sometimes.

I actually found that offer, but I need to get my posts up to 100 first. So, I guess this helps me get there? It definitely sounds like a good deal though!

Thanks for the reply as well! I think maybe I was thinking, playing with a "free website" would be a good learning experience, before moving up to the big leagues. But maybe I should just keep my focus on DTM PPC and make an actual sale, before going ADD and focusing on websites too, LOL.

Free hosts are usually not worth the trouble. If you just want to practice html etc. they might be okay. But if your site does get popular, you'll want to move it.. which will be a major hassle.

If you just want to publish some content for free:
    http://wordpress.com/

If you want to start a real site you can get:
    .info domain .99
    .com/.net/.org domain $7

cheap hosting w/php, mysql, stats
    $1.25/month (dayanahost)
    when/if your site gets popular, you'll need to upgrade....

My older "sites" started on " www . myispdomain . com / ~ myusername / pagename.html" pages, looked awful, and were slow. They did incredibly well, but times were very different back then. With domain registration under $10 and hosting that can be found for as little as $1.25/month, there's no reason not to get domain names and have them hosted.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks simcat.

MichaelColey, yeah.. I was wondering if the awful look of a free site, would hurt the campaign. I'm just not in a good financial spot to be spending a lot, hoping affiliate marketing could help with that! Plus, Adwords kind of bit me today.. whoops. So I think this is more just me frustrated at the moment with how things are going.

I'll bounce back! Sorry if I annoyed anyone.

Hardaka, this is the Newbie FAQ section. Your questions don't annoy anyone.

Aside from the other valid issues raised, free hosting using their domain does not allow you to easily move the site somewhere else if it becomes successul. It is always a good idea to have your own domain name for your main business sites. Use the freebie hosting to drive traffic to the main sites.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Exactly, we're not annoyed. It's more a question of us "pushing" you in the right direction..
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Hardaka,

My suggestion is to put aside $25 to invest into your site if that is all you can work with for now. Use it for your domain purchases and the hosting. Then learn all that you can and apply it.

Another reason free sites don't work is that some use ads already, because that is how they can offer you the service for free.

Best of luck!
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks y'all! Feeling better today too.

And hurray at how nice everyone really is here! You guys make this a great place.

Hello Hardaka,

I just wanted to chime in a few thoughts.

Put yourself in the position of being the visitor/shopper that is visiting the free site you setup shop at ... and ask yourself these questions below.

If this was you....

Would you feel confident about making a purchase through a free host site where the owner can be virtually invisible & unknown versus a domain that has a WHOIS record?

Would you feel confident that the site will still be there tomorrow if you have any troubles with your purchase order ... even if it's an affiliate site and not the actual merchant site?

Unfortunately, some merchants are "real slow to respond to customer service/order inquiries" and the shopper will often write the webmaster/marketer that referred them to the merchant.

I could go on & on with "what if's" and "would you" scenerios .... but I think what has already been stated above by other members, and the questions I posed should give you some food for thought on whether or not a real domain owned by you should be used for your marketing efforts.

Best-o-luck!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you, those are good thoughts/questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Although I've just started trying to work with DTM PPC, I have some ideas bouncing around in my head for a website, but I don't feel I'm at a stage where I have the resources or experience to invest in hosting and a domain name.
    As others have pointed out, the costs are really quite low these days. There's still a learning curve, but this is (partly) mitigated by free site design tools that many hosts offer. Anyway, my advice is not to wait until you get everything perfect to start. You can make incremental improvements to your site every day...and the search engines like sites that get updated often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    So, would a website made through companies like; Microsoft Office Live, freewebs.com, etc, be doomed to failure if I tried to make a page to get people to buy products from a merchant? Would it have any chance of getting organic clicks or showing up anywhere near the top of search results? And if yes, does anyone know of a good company this would work with?
    I think you'll be better off with your own site, keeping in mind that you can always use templates for your basic design. The key is good, fresh, original content on your site, and that's where you can make your site different enough that you'll get some traffic.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread