Here:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/docs/pr/release1050.html

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

There comes a strong competetion against Google overall reach. Yahoo will certainly drop Google in favor of Inktomi.

Only problem, Yahoo is a lot more greedier than Google.

Certainly not good for affiliates.....

ABW Ambassador
    I do great in Google, not so great in Inktomi, but i think its great for affiliates in that maybe Yahoo will go back with Ink so Google isn't so dominant. I would like to other SE's rise up so there are more options and everybody isn't so google dependent.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    this means we will now have to pay even for the "free listings" on yahoo. $25 per URL!!!

---
    "Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals" - The Tathagata

it is very possible for them to raise it to 25. Like i said this is bad.....

"Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but
    it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes" - Lord Buddha

This is great. I was doing very well with Inktomi listings on yahoo before google came along. So now we have someplace else to get traffic/different rankings from and don't have to depend so much on the googlebot. $25.00 for a URL is better than paying ppc and you can get your page refreshed faster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cowcool:
    it is very possible for them to raise it to 25. Like i said this is bad.....

"Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but
    it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes" - Lord Buddha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cow,

Ink already takes 25 bucks per url for an instant inclusion in their index. if you want to get in for free, you have to wait for months if not years, google is much better to get into than ink.

After buying ink, I don't suppose yahoo will discontinue the service, after all it brings in money to the company, it won't increase the number of free listings either because if they do, why'd anyone pay for instant inclusion?

---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jane:
    This is great. I was doing very well with Inktomi listings on yahoo before google came along. So now we have someplace else to get traffic/different rankings from and don't have to depend so much on the googlebot. $25.00 for a URL is better than paying ppc and you can get your page refreshed faster.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it's better than ppcs but what when you have 10,000 different URLs (pages) where you get traffic for free from yahoogle?

---

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet the affiliate haters at OverTure are tuned into this one if they loose the top 5 Yahoo positions to a PPCSE move from Inktomi.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    The purchase of Inktomi by Yahoo! is a good thing for the marketing community long term because it guards against concentration risk- provided that Inktomi ever manages to build relevancy into their product.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sure it's better than ppcs but what when you have 10,000 different URLs (pages) where you get traffic for free from yahoogle? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don' tmean to be facetious, mean, or disparaging. But...if your pages do not produce enough to justify paying the $25 inclusion fee, why bother building them in the first place? And keep in mind, you have less competition for the top spot in an arena where placement must be paid for.

This is the best news I have ever heard (in relation to online marketing efforts).

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

It think this discussion should move to the
    "Search Engine Insight" Forum.
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=6876081681
    However. Just for the "MyPop" Users, my comment here again.

I think nobody can realy predict the impact of this whole thing.

Yahoo will probably use inktomi for their web search results instead of google.
    That is a blow to everybody who focused on Google.

The use of Google at Yahoo and AOL was a blessing for everybody who spent all his time to improve ranking at Google.

Affilates/Sites well listed at Google worry and Affilates/Sites well listed in Inktomi Search Results hail now.

But all that is not the interesting part of the story in my opinion.

More interesting to me is, what happens next. Inktomi was pretty much an "independent" search service, which provided it's content to various Web Portals like Looksmart, MSN, Hotbot and others. Inktomi itself was never a portal or a Search Engine.

It was now bought by a Web Portal, Yahoo.
    What will be the reaction of the Web Portals, who are Yahoo competitors and Customers of Inktomi?

The year 2003 will be interesting.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Affilates/Sites well listed at Google worry and Affilates/Sites well listed in Inktomi Search Results hail now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beside the point. With a paid inclusion scheme, there is less competition for the top spots. With paid inclusion, there may be only 2 or 3 new pages introduced every day trying to compete with yours. Free submissions continue pour in like a dam bursting above your valley.

Couple of thoughts:

(1) There have been too many posts here about sites that have been blasted by Google with a "0" Page Rank -- which in essence removes the site from any meaningful search at Google. With AOL moving to Google, the only semi-major search engine left that has not been Google-ized is msn.com. Affiliate sites are presently highly dependent upon Google results -- if you screw up, you're dead. Yes, Yahoo will probably drop Google in favor of its new acquisition, and at this point I think that's positive. We need more spread of SE's for our traffic, not less.

(2) Now that Yahoo has purchased Inktomi, look for msn.com to drop Inktomi, in favor of ???? Maybe Google, but maybe not -- could this open up an opportunity for Fast, or another database?

Q: are 2 giants better than 1? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Vlad Lysik
    E-mail: affiliates@webceo.com
    http://www.webceo.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> could this open up an opportunity for Fast, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looksmart recently purchased Wisenut, and has been crawling all over. And over and over.

They've already got their foot in the door at MS.

I think that this is great. I am a big Google user; it's my start page and I'm in Adwords. But I am not happy with having 60-90% of SE traffic come from one search engine, even if I am in the top 10 for my keyphrases. Diversification & competition is good. Also, since so many people concentrate on Google, you can possibly get a better return on investment for concentrating on Yahootomi, especially if you spend a few bucks for the daily refreshes of your optimized pages.

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread