Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Subject Line Titles
    I'd like to suggest that Moderators update subject lines when they are either non-descriptive or inaccurate. Subject lines such as "Problem," "Argh," "Help Me," etc. are useless when scrolling through topics or performing a search.

ABW Ambassador
    I like good titles myself but I don't plan on editing people's titles unless they request it or in extreme cases. Just don't see it as that big of an issue. I've never liked it when something I've posted in the past was edited and I'm sure most people don't either.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I like good titles myself but I don't plan on editing people's titles unless they request it or in extreme cases. Just don't see it as that big of an issue. I've never liked it when something I've posted in the past was edited and I'm sure most people don't either.
    I agree with Trust that the poster should generally be able to decide what best, in his or her mind, describes what the post is about.

But, there are some threads that contain important information, that cannot be discerned from the title. An example is todays "Trust, I'm Very Disappointed In You" thread, discussing significant issues involving upromise.

In rare cases, such threads should be re-named.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with that one and took care of it

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I agree with Trust that the poster should generally be able to decide what best, in his or her mind, describes what the post is about.

But, there are some threads that contain important information, that cannot be discerned from the title. An example is todays "Trust, I'm Very Disappointed In You" thread, discussing significant issues involving upromise.

In rare cases, such threads should be re-named.
    AH, not sure how what you are saying is any different than what I said. Can you discern important information when the subject line is similar to the examples I gave?

Sure, the poster should be able to decide what is best but the point is sometimes they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    AH, not sure how what you are saying is any different than what I said. Can you discern important information when the subject line is similar to the examples I gave?

Sure, the poster should be able to decide what is best but the point is sometimes they don't.
    I'm not quite agreeing. What I meant was that for threads that discuss important issues that affect a lot of people, they should have titles that reflect the real subject of the thread. Threads from people who post to blow off steam or who are asking for help and who are non-descriptive in their titles, will still attract readers and responses from people interested in providing help or from reading about other people's problems. Those threads should not have their titles edited.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I'll agree that there are a few thread titles that could and should be tweaked, the thread posted by Kellie is a great example.

The process should be handled via the existing report post mechanism with the reason as "title".
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I frequently change the titles of threads when they're inaccurate (like confusing merchant with affiliate) or something like "I have a question". I typically only bother changing the title if the thread is related to affiliate marketing, though. For the threads like "Argh", which is a Midnight Cafe thread about iPhone, there's no real reason to change it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I'm going to bring this up again. Is it really too much trouble for a Moderator to edit thread titles to accurately describe the contents so that the search function will work as it's intended to?

If you were looking for a way to update your email address in Linkshare, would you know that this was addressed at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=email by reading the title? That's just one of many examples.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    The process should be handled via the existing report post mechanism with the reason as "title".

ABW Ambassador
    Is the report post notification seen by all moderators or just Haiko?

ABW Ambassador
    All.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Is there a way that if someone uses a title like "I have a question", the thread won't save with an error message to change it?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    All.
    Why has my request via the report post notification been ignored?

ABW Ambassador
    You reported it? I didn't get an email on it.

Neither did I, not that I would edit it now.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    I reported it at least 5 hours ago. The reason I think it is important to edit it now is so that it will properly come up on a search. Two different people have started new threads this month asking how to update their email address in their Linkshare profile because it's certainly not intuitive.

By the way, this isn't the first time that I've used the report post feature resulting in no response or action being taken so it must not always be working properly.

ABW Ambassador
    I just reported another post with the following message:
    Nothing wrong with this post. Just testing the report post feature.
    Did you receive it?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I find the idea of changing thread titles offensive.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Generally, the moderators here take "minimal moderation" approach. We'll change a thread title if it's confusing or deceptive, but not very often if it's just "not descriptive".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Generally, the moderators here take "minimal moderation" approach. We'll change a thread title if it's confusing or deceptive, but not very often if it's just "not descriptive".
    Fine by me. Mods have that right and understand what's best for the community. I don't have a problem with that at all.

What's offensive (to me) is another member wanting thread titles changed to suit his/her needs. WTF?!!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing to do with my needs at all. I've made it very clear that my intention is to enable the search function to work as intended. If you properly describe your posts, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Based on my experience, the report post function isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Based on my experience, the report post function isn't working.
    I used it once to report an offensive/bigoted comment and I received neither a reply nor was the subject post ever removed or modified, as of several days later.

OK I just reported AH's post and it went to my iPhone, gmail and abw email - I have it set up on all three mediums via three sep accts so that nothing does get lost. I'll have to dig through the mod logs to see if the reported posts actually were reported.

AH,

Please PM me the link and I'll edit the thread in question.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I got Haiko's test report just fine, too.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast