comparison site without datafeeds
    hi everyone,

as i am still new to all of this, i'm looking for some help regarding a comparison shopping site that i want to create. i found a niche that i really enjoy, and i haven't been able to find a comparison site for this particular subject. however, i also am unable to find merchants that offer datafeeds to their products. besides reviewing everything by hand, is there any other method that i can use to get the data that i need?

i'm afraid i might just have to sift through all of the products one by one...

I have a comparison site that I do by hand. That's really the best way to do product comparisons in my opinion. You can do PRICE comparisons with a data feed, but if you want original content that not everyone and their mother is using, just put in the work.

Aint nuthin' easy.

Quote Originally Posted by awaken
    i also am unable to find merchants that offer datafeeds to their products. besides reviewing everything by hand, is there any other method that i can use to get the data that i need?
    i'm afraid i might just have to sift through all of the products one by one...
    Would you like to work with datafeeds or are you looking for the "zillion" products that would be available to datafeed users but you don't want to work with the feeds?

Some merchants in SAS (many but not all) have the process enabled so that you can:
    • Click "Datafeeds" under the GET LINKS menu

• Go to your merchant

and then hit "View Products."

As an example, if you do this with Fun to collect, the page will say there are 9229 Products in subdivided pages -- I believe all 9229 Products would be there but I haven't counted (the products are subdivided in 10 pages).

I take the individual products from Commission Junction's product search.

In Linkshare I go to the individual merchant under "Create links" (something like that, it's after 3 a.m. where I am) and the merchant will either have a set of links from which to choose or there will be an "advanced capability" where you can pick something from the merchant's site.

These are the only ways I know how to do it -- if anyone has better methods, please let me know.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I take the individual products from Commission Junction's product search.
    CJ will say there are # of products, you'll be on the first page and then you could open about 4 more pages in Firefox tabs. It takes a while to see all the products in those pages. As soon as the last page is ready I open up as many more pages as I can in Firefox tabs -- that's my trick I use with the CJ product search.

I find this less confusing than opening the pages in new windows.

As for LS, there is no trick but the "advanced link method" offers excellent product links (even if the process is time consuming, it's worth it).

In SAS you can also use make-a-page to get multiple products (make-a-page is fairly fast -- it was better when it would search among multiple merchants but it delivers good result from the merchant of your choice).
    I don't copy their CSS, I only pick out the individual links I want.
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 14th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar

Some merchants in SAS (many but not all) have the process enabled so that you can:

• Click "Datafeeds" under the GET LINKS menu

• Go to your merchant
    and then hit "View Products."

This feature doesn't work on larger DB
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    This feature doesn't work on larger DB
    So then how could an affiliate see all the items?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Just yesterday I saw an excellent "merchant comparison" site that has no price comparisons and uses no feeds. I found it because it has top rankings for a two word keyword phrase at one of the engines.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Just yesterday I saw an excellent "merchant comparison" site that has no price comparisons and uses no feeds. I found it because it has top rankings for a two word keyword phrase at one of the engines.
    How do you know the site doesn't use feeds?
    Did you analyze the source code?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    So then how could an affiliate see all the items?
    The way to do it is to use "Create a Custom Link to a Page". Find the product(s) on the merchant site, and use this feature the same way you use the LS "advanced link method" to create text links. You can then also get the image URL from the site product page(s) to make an image link.

Even with smaller databases that do have product links as you described, this is easier than going through many pages of links to find what you want.

To me, this system is the best, fastest, and easiest to use among CJ, LS, PFX, or SASs other tools, for getting the individual product links that you want from a merchant, and unlike many merchants on CJ and LS, if the merchant has it on their site, you can get a link for it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    How do you know the site doesn't use feeds?
    What is in feeds? That answers this question. Wouldn't one know by reason of knowing what's contained in feeds?

Did you analyze the source code?
    Can one always tell whether an affiliate is using feeds by analyzing the source code?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread