More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    "Commission Seeding" Reality or My Imagination?
    Just recently, I was approached by a new affiliate manager about how to improve commissions. A day later, I see a sale (first in 6+ months).

For a different merchant, on two separate occasions, I started a PPC campaign and got a sale and commission on day 1, only to go deeply in the red on days 2-5.

For another merchant, I get a sale right after I inquire about what could be wrong with my links since I had close to a 1000 click thrus with no sale.

Like anyone else, I like the commissions. Yet this practice, if it "commission seeding", results in leading me down sometimes unproductive paths.

Is this just my imagination?

Don't worry, I won't name any names nor should any of you name names.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LOL

I'm begining to think it's REAL

Everytime I email a merchant - for any reason - the next morning my stats are very happy.

Few weeks back I went over the head of the AM. I called the company and asked who is above the AM. He gave me his email, and I complained.

The sales for this company this month are at - or better - then the previous 6 months.

This morning there were 7 sales from yesterday for this merchant when I logged in

sounds to be a bit more than seeding going on with that scenario..then again i might just be paranoid :-)

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It would be nice to think that if the company is doing commission seeding they're paying for it out of their own pocket, but how much you wanna bet they're borrowing from affiliate Peter to pay affiliate Paul?

See? I'm more paranoid than all of you put together.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just recently, I was approached by a new affiliate manager about how to improve commissions. A day later, I see a sale (first in 6+ months).
    Hmmm...perhaps their tracking code got fixed? Instead of thinking that sale was the fake, if the sales keep coming in, I'd guess that prior to the new AM, there had been a problem on their end.

For a different merchant, on two separate occasions, I started a PPC campaign and got a sale and commission on day 1, only to go deeply in the red on days 2-5.
    This, on the other hand, isn't that unusual. It happens on the merchantside, too.

My theory is that there are people out there looking for Item X. You finally come along with a pitch that works (or a link to a merchant that's acceptable to those people). The person/people buy.

After that, no more sales, because you already found the 1 guy who was truly ready to buy!

With PPC I always go back after a couple of weeks and see what has evolved. The first-day results are pretty much useless. The first-day results from free SERPs don't mean anything either, but the cash outlay of PPC makes it really obvious when the effect hits those ads.
    For another merchant, I get a sale right after I inquire about what could be wrong with my links since I had close to a 1000 click thrus with no sale.
    Could be a fluke, or not...can't really say with one instance.

ABW Ambassador
    I could see it happening. It's crossed my mind every now and then and I think it might have happened but it's one of those things you just can't know for sure.

If an affiliate is just starting off with a merchant and sees a sale pretty quickly, they're more apt to push ahead with them.

Nah, it's not fake, it's just the magic of The Secret(tm) working for you. Just keep thinking those happy thoughts!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread