Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What PHP Editor do you use?
    I've been a loyal EditPad programmer for years but think it may be time to upgrade to a more robust editor or an IDE. Any recommendations?

I used Notepad++ for some time, but recently I moved to using the Zend Studio.

One's free, the other is not. Though I didn't pay for it (a company I did some contract work for required it and bought the license). I like Zend well enough, but being built on a Java platform it can be a bit slow sometimes. I hear (though haven't used) that Eclipse works well.

In the end, Notepad++ did everything I wanted. Color syntax, line numbering, auto indent, etc. I don't like programs that write code for me, though I do like Zend's autocomplete options (it has all of the PHP functions built into it with an outline of what each does - pretty snazzy). Zend also remembers the names of variables you've used in the past and provides an autocomplete feature for your own variables and functions that are already defined.

If you're working on a Mac platform, I'd take a hard look at TextMate. If they had a PC version, I'd use it on my Windows machines as well.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

PSPad is a very nice little free editor that has many of the functions like Color syntax, line numbering, auto indent plus it has a nice html editor/validator, .xml extractor and does tricks with database files. I't lines manipulation features come in very handy and it works in so many useful formats. Excellent Czech program with support forum.

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Notepad++ is good, indeed... and not only for .php editing.

I use vim. Been using it for years and love it. It's universal between my computer and my web servers, so I don't need to worry about using different commands from the command line. And best of all I can use it to shoot documents over to my server with one little command. They have a command called Nwrite which can use scp, ftp, etc. to send your buffer to a web server. This is awesome for making small changes to my sites.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I use vim. Been using it for years and love it. It's universal between my computer and my web servers, so I don't need to worry about using different commands from the command line.
    When I worked in an all Mac environment, I tried to convince myself that I liked vim. And I certainly prefer it over emacs. But I never got really comfortable with it. In the end, I used TextWrangler because my boss didn't want to pay for TextMate. I actually got to be quite proficient in it. It's kind of like the Notepad++ for a Mac.

One feature that I really liked about TextWrangler was that you could do find and replaces across multiple files and directories (including other mounted volumes). That was a very handy feature that I wish Notepad++ would implement!
    Chris Sturgill

I use Dreamweaver. I've used it orginally for creating websites and it was just easier to use it for php than learn a new program.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

dreamweaver here too and i still have lots to learn...like how the heck to you build an array?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    editplus

Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I use edlin.

Seriously, used the same editor for years. Old programmers editor. Free and easy to use, but very powerful.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad
    It works, but you have to keep telling it to save as "all files". PSPad notices that you're working on .php files and sets that as default until you change to something else. Just a few less keystrokes to go through.

'sides it does a lot of other tricks.

I just type whatever.php as the file name, and it saves it just like that. Regardless of the save as type. But usually I create the file first (within Windows Explorer) and then edit it from there.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I've used Notepad, but I can't stand to work without a minimum feature set of syntax coloring and automatic indentation.
    Chris Sturgill

I use editpad pro, i like the tabs & coloring, but that Zend sounds nice if it knows the functions.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    One feature that I really liked about TextWrangler was that you could do find and replaces across multiple files and directories (including other mounted volumes). That was a very handy feature that I wish Notepad++ would implement!
    See this is why I love Mac. You can do this out of the box with perl and Terminal:

Code:
    perl -pi.bak -e "s/search/replace/g" *
    It'll search and replace any document in the directory and create .bak files of the originals. You can run it on *.php, *.html or even * as in the example.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I second edit plus and it's free
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    notepad and dreamweaver put i dont use php much. Just to tweak wordpress.

On XP - PHP Designer Personal Edition 2007
    on the Mac - TextMate.

PHP Designer is free, Textmate costs $70 last time I checked.

From a full time and long time developer...

Any text editor will do. But those if you that are using just the basic text editors (notepad, notepad++) should seriously look using something tailored for PHP like Zend studio. Yes it does cost money - $239-$299. But it is an IDE (Interated Development Environment) which is better than just an editor. It will save you time and it will increase the amount of quality code you crank. I promise.

You have things like code highlighting, higlighting of possible code issues immediately, built in debugging, built in PHP specific help, auto completion, variable name checking, etc. These may seem minor but when they start shaving time off of the work you are doing they are invaluable.

You can do just about any code development in any text editor. But you will always get more out of an IDE. Zend Studio looks to be the cream of the crop, but look at anything that is PHP specific.

(No affiliation with any tool mentioned)
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I also use Notepad chiefly both for php and regular html pages

I wonder why noone mentioned UltraEdit .

Quote Originally Posted by oziman
    On XP - PHP Designer Personal Edition 2007
    I 2nd this one all though I have used Homesite and Dreamweaver mostly till now.

This is timely as the last two days have me trying a few more. I now have the 14 day trial of PHP Designer Pro 2007. It's in the mid 50's and has plenty of features.

I have recently gotten on a kick to learn OOP and produce neater and better documented code after buying Ullman's PHP 5 Advanced. So far so fun.

Dreamweaver 8 for me. I just got used to the colors and although I've tried to switch, I always use DW.

I must be the only "oddball" here - I use Adobe GoLive on both Mac and PC platforms. That and PhotoShop Elements gets me through just about everything I need to do on my sites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast