View Poll Results: Should we publish the book in an electronic format too?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO, stick with the hardcopy only

18 54.55%
  • YES, sell at the same price

5 15.15%
  • YES, sell at a lower price

10 30.30%

Thread: "A Practical Guide To Affiliate Marketing" - Go Digital or Not?

Question "A Practical Guide To Affiliate Marketing" - Go Digital or Not?
    Here's the thing:

My affiliate marketing book for merchants and affiliate managers is not currently available in an e-book format. I am contemplating the idea of going digital (as I do have e-mails coming from people, asking if the book is sold in an electronic version). I would highly appreciate ABW-ers' idea on the value of this. There is a fairly common consensus that e-books are not as trustworthy and not as valuable, if you want, as the ones available only as hardcopies... What do you all think?

Also, if we do go digital with it, should it be sold at the same or at a more attractive price? Or do you think that a lower price of the electronic copies would diminish the value of it in the eyes of the prospective readers?

Please vote and post.

Many many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Geno

I voted no because if you make it into an e-book, then anyone can pass a copy along to their friends for free. You'll be losing money in the long run.

Geno,

People prefer different formats for different reasons.
    If your book is transformed into an e-book format, its contents are still of the same high quality in terms of the information. You have established the excellence of the title, of the book whether it be presented in a paper format, CD-ROM, e-book format, audiovisual, (whatever).

Although the e-book has the same quality in terms of the information given, a hardbound book in print is easier on the eyes and has a certain appeal to the touch that is not so easy to define (some people are book [i.e. print] lovers).
    My suggestion is to offer an e-book discount as an incentive to buy in that format.

My preference as a customer is to buy print/bound books; I have not purchased any e-book but I have a formidable book collection.
    I don't think that a discount would inspire me to buy an e-book, but some people might be quite willing to buy in that format given the discount (some might buy without the discount).

If War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy is put into an e-book format, does that lessen the value of the book's content?
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 14th, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    I voted no because if you make it into an e-book, then anyone can pass a copy along to their friends for free. You'll be losing money in the long run.
    Aren't there methods of protection against this?

Aren't there "read only -- no copying protections in the manufacturing process to guard against copying?

Just because the book is in print form doesn't guarantee that a person won't take the book to a photocopier and send certain pages to friends via snail mail.
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 14th, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    There is a fairly common consensus that e-books are not as trustworthy and not as valuable, if you want, as the ones available only as hardcopies... What do you all think?

You put a lot of thought and effort into writing this book. Why would you risk having it equated with all of the scammy affiliate marketing ebooks out there?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    There are. And I am not afraid of this.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    You put a lot of thought and effort into writing this book. Why would you risk having it equated with all of the scammy affiliate marketing ebooks out there?
    That's what I'm wondering... You think it would be "equating with the scammy affiliate marketing ebooks"?

Geno

I think an e-book would be great. I currently have almost 20GB of e-books on my Tablet PC that I use for reference when I'm away from my home office. When traveling I have to decide which books I can carry with me. Electronically I can take them all and my Tablet doesn't seem to get any heavier.

There are several books that I've purchased as hard copies and then purchased the electronic versions when they've became available.

Also electronic media is much easier to annotate and highlight sections without 200 post-it notes stuck to the pages and adding disk space is so much easier than adding bookcases.

As far as price, I'm paying for the content not the binding, however you may want to offer a discount on the e-book for anyone that's purchased the hard-copy.

-rematt

BTW, one method I saw a publisher using to prevent copies of his e-book appearing all over the net was to imprint the original purchasers credit card number on every page. Not a method I would recommend, but I bet it worked.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thank you the feedback and the votes that have been given and cast already. At the moment, the majority of people think that I should just stick with the hardcopy.

Looking forward to more votes and posts.

Many thanks again.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7

Aren't there "read only -- no copying protections in the manufacturing process to guard against copying?

Just because the book is in print form doesn't guarantee that a person won't take the book to a photocopier and send certain pages to friends via snail mail.
    There are copy protections, but not everyone is going to abide by them. Not to mention, it would be a lot easier to send a friend an e-book with just a few clicks than to go make photo copies than send it snail mail. I'm not saying it's right, but people still do it.

I thought there was already a digital version of the book: ABW

Go digital and save some trees in the process (Right, Rexanne? )

If you only had an e-book version, you may be right about worrying if it will be taken lightly, but since it's already published in paper and available at Amazon and B&N, I don't think you need to worry about that. Just prodive the digital copy as an option and see what happens. Just don't ever mention it in the site as an "ebook" but always reference to it as the "digital version", from a marketing standpoint, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh, the price should stay the same, people are paying for the knowledge inside, it's the same knowledge regardless of the versions.

Mucho luck!
    Last edited by Sam Bay; July 14th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

If you are "selling" it, and not giving it away for free, then stick to the hardcover.

Hey, I can vote!

FWIW, maybe make an ebook available on a limited basis to your affiliates and merchants. But the general public would still need to buy the print edition at amazon or BN.

Even if you're not concerned about the duplication and redistribution protections that are available, you should still implement them as it would add value to those who bought it. I don't want to spend $20 on an ebook then see it on eBay for .99cents or included in some affiliate scam package as a 'free bonus'. That would devalue its content in my eyes.

(Since an ebook would cost less to produce, pass the savings on to the buyer! I'm holding my visa at the ready!)

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see the problem with the ebook. Normally I'm not a fan of them because most are garbage but there are some good ones out there. If you've got good information to share this just opens up the market to get it out. More people will see this information, that's a good thing.

Thank you for all the new comments. They are MUCH appreciated.

Somehow, regardless of many motions "for" it (in form of posts) the poll results now look like this:

Looking forward to more opinions.

And as always, thanks in advance for them!!

Geno

I say you should, but maybe you should wait a while, until you have marketed the hardcopy fully. Then, when you come out with an electronic version, you can be reasonably sure you are selling to a new group of folks, ie. you can maximize your income.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I voted to offer digital at the same price. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't offer discounts (especially to ABWer's...). I personally would have bought the eBook, though I prefer the printed version, because I hate waiting for shipping.

That said, and in conjunction with your book's affiliate program, you would want to monitor your affiliates' sites pretty heavily. I don't think the value of your book would be degraded if it wasn't being sold on a website that consists of only one (very lengthy) page of testimonials. The fact that the book can also be purchased in printed form adds a certain credibility to it that you don't find with a lot of the eBook trash out there. And your profit margins should be a bit higher as well!

However, if it was being pushed from a website that begins with the words "From the desk of...", I'd run away screaming into the night.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My take:

Stick with the hardcopy for the main book. Hardcopy books are a lot more credible. They're also easier to read and thumb through when I want to review something.

Then if the info starts going obsolete, offer (smaller and less expensive) ebook updates so people don't have to buy a whole new book to catch the latest news. Of course, if they WANT to buy the whole 2nd edition as a paper book when the time comes, that option should be available.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Get someone with a sexy voice to record it and sell it on iTunes! (I like Robert Redford!) Then we can all get it on our iPods and iPhones!!

Never charge less!!

Smiles,
    Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Geno,
    Offer both!
    Create something extra that makes the hardcover more attractive and sell it as an upsell.
    Offer the ebook also, I wouldn't worry so much about the image.

Thank you very much for all the new feedback, friends. It gives me ideas...

More votes and comments are more than welcome.

Muchas gracias.

Geno

Votes still taken.

Thanks.

Geno

Kris - AMWSO
    I couldn't vote because (I think) I'm a newbie here but I would've voted "NO".

I read through the hardcopy of the book several weeks ago quite readily and easily. E-books are way too much of a headache for me to read. Much prefer "real" books.

Other people have pointed out that e-books don't have the same authenticity as hardcopy books and many e-books out there are garbage and would never find themselves being published. I agree with that opinion.

Stick with the hardcopy.

Great book, by the way. Very useful for novice and experienced AMs alike.

Kris

24. Newsletter Signup