Shipping Items
    I am not sure if i am in the right forum category but i'm wondering about shipping accounts with fedex and ups do they make special deals with online store. The last time i checked they give me and expensive rate for shipping an item but when i visited a webstore from the same country they can ship items for a low price.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    VOLUME is what makes it possible for places like Amazon to ship dirt cheap, while smaller merchants charge more (and individuals really get reamed). If an online store ships lots and lots of packages, they can get a deal.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

They are charging me $40 a kilo but im only sending small items. so i am thinking twice in putting up a store. its just the shipping that worries me coz no one would want a $5 product with a $40 shipping. its international shipping.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marketingnoob
    They are charging me $40 a kilo but im only sending small items. so i am thinking twice in putting up a store. its just the shipping that worries me coz no one would want a $5 product with a $40 shipping. its international shipping.
    Oh--international shipping, that's a killer! That's a big reason why I don't ship across the borders, even for hardgoods. Even shipping just across the border (US to Canada) adds something like another $20 to it--and that's not even getting into the extra paperwork. Prices to Europe or Asia get even more ridiculous.

Unfortunately, all the shippers I know of charge a fortune for it. I can't currently imagine the kind of volume that retailers who can do it cheaply must have.

Personally I'd only do an online store if your own country has enough of a market to support it. If there's a domestic market, you can just ban all international orders (if an international order tries to sneak in, just cancel it out and refund their money with a little note that says something like "Sorry, we cannot ship outside of [country name]").
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread