Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Another reason to quit smoking
    I have been smoke free for almost 7 months now but was a little disheartened when my breathing wasn't getting any better and the attacks of bronchitis were more frequent and acute.

Sooooo, after the 3rd trip to the doctor they finally decided maybe I should have some chest x-rays. They let me see them since I used to read radio graphs at the clinic and I was very sad at what I saw Soooo much scarring. My lungs look like road maps. Long story short I have been diagnosed with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and put on a stronger inhaled steroid.(which could explain why it's so hard to lose weight, but from working out I'm getting calves like a man )

I feel so fortunate that I quit before the damage was more severe! It's not a death sentence by any means, but a pretty scary wake up call to get my butt in gear and get healthy!!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm sorry you found out you have COPD. I quit when my asthma took a dramatic turn for the worse. (Okay, so there are worse things than having the doc tell you to hire a cleaning service coz he doesn't think you should dust the house anymore!)

I was a nervous wreck waiting for the results of my chest x-ray but it came back with everything in normal ranges. It's just my stupid bronchial passages that don't work right. Hey...that's not so bad considering I smoked for 30 years.

Bit of advice to help with the breathing -- yoga. Yoga works on a lot of tiny muscles in the chest and abdomen that help open the body cavity up so the lungs can expand. It's not a treatment for COPD of course but it will help you by making more space in the chest cavity because you're not collapsing in on your rib cage and hip bones.

This is the DVD I started with: http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Zone-Stro.../dp/B00005K9PO

Thanks Rhea and funny you should mention Yoga. My horse trainer and my best friend both have suggested Yoga to help me with my "seat" and riding balance. I never thought about it helping with my breathing Thanks, I'm gonna try it!

LOL, my hubby thought it might be dust irritating me too. Then he thought it might be an allergy to my pets and my horse. I told him to forget it, I would get rid of HIM before I got rid of my critters!

Yup, yoga would definitely help with your seat. You gotta find those "sit bones" if you're gonna sit up straight. You wouldn't think people would need to be taught that but they do! (Well I did anyway.)

Ooh, I got to pet goats yesterday! We went to a crafts fair at a restored Shaker Village and they had the cutest baby goat. I couldn't quite entice it to sit in my lap but it let me pet it. Mama didn't even try to butt me. What can I say? Goats, snakes and dogs adore me! lol!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Swimming is also great for the lungs but if you are on a ranch there probably isnt a clean pool for miles... But check with a doctor first, it is a real workout if you are not a kid anymore like most of us.

Internet Cowboy
    Your post has motivated me to reach for the gum this morning, instead of a cigarette.
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but we've discovered that it can be managed. As you know, we take a serious break every year or so when something triggers Dave's asthma part and then it's downhill for awhile and then we get back up and go again. He smoked for about 40 years. We're both so glad that we quit long enough ago that we don't have to deal with quitting in addition to dealing with the heart and lung issues and hospital stays.

The yoga sounds like a wonderful idea. The weight loss is a real problem with the steroids and it only gets worse when you get sick and add prednisone to the mix. Dave gains 5 pounds while the Dr is writing the script.

Anyway - sending you good wishes for the battle and a long life to do battle in!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Your post has motivated me to reach for the gum this morning, instead of a cigarette.
    Thanks
    awwww, glad I could be of service. You can do it! You'll be so glad when you hit that 6 month mark!

Rhea, glad you didn't get butted! Glad the goats like you. Maybe I should take you to the barn with me when I go to count kids in the spring. All the mommas do sneak attacks on me, I need a goat whisperer

Thanks for the support judi and andbeyond. The doc put me on the advair diskus 250/50 and so far it's fantastic!! Who knew oxygen could be so refreshing, lol! Oye, yep I'm scared I'll be on pred for the next round of bronchitis. I heard it causes alot of weight gain. I've seen nice slim dogs turn into couch pillows from one round of pred.

The good news is that now I can breathe well I'm able to get out more and do things I love for longer of periods of time. It's great :^)

Believe me, if we lived nearby I'd be at your farm ALL the time when there are baby goats. I love baby goats but you probably already figured that out. I've never been around rams but the mamas behave for me. I'd be happy to help you count your kids. I like the moniker "goat whisperer." I might just be that!

A really ironic thing is that 20 years ago when my allergies went ballistic I had the skin testing done and the thing I was most allergic to (other than dust mites) was goats. I had the skin testing redone last year and happily I'm not allergic to goats anymore (although the dust mite allergy has gotten worse!)

How could anyone not love a baby goat?
    I will stop hijacking your thread now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awwww, it's so cute!!!! Anytime one of my threads moves to a discussion of animals, it's a compliment That is so wild that you're not allergic to them anymore!

Yes, you be the goat whisperer and I am the horse yeller. I'm pretty sure Kahlua now thinks her name is "Whoa Dammit!" lol just kidding She is actually doing fabulous on her training and I couldn't ask for a better horse. Of course she has her moments, but we work them out and she's perfect. It had been over 6 months since I could walk in a pasture with her without a lead and without her rearing up and wanting me to play. But we worked that out too and now I can walk with her while she grazes and she respects my space

Thanks to the good meds, last night was one of the first times Kahlua wore out before me while we were playing tag!

on smoking. i smoked for 15 years (hi guys, i'm dave by the way) and i tried to quit a million times. i read books, and tried nicotine replacement therapy (the patch, gum, etc.) ... one book was really good.. 'the easy way to stop smoking' by allen carr. it really makes you angry at smoking and does a good job of breaking it down into something that's not so tough to get over. BUT that eventually didn't work too. the thing that worked best for me was chantix. it's a ion and it's really new to the market so a lot of insurance won't cover it yet.. but i took it for two months and it was like i never smoked in the first place. it's been about 8 months now and i haven't looked back. it's almost like a switch got flipped in my brain.. anyway.. i recommend anyone that's looking to quit look into it.
    Last edited by ifixsolutions; July 24th, 2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: wrong title

I'm a huge fan of yoga too! In fact I teach 2-3 times per week. Was curious about starting a thread possibly for those interested.

Here are some breathing tips:

Practice breathing in Savasana, or Corpse Pose (lying down, ankles rolled outward, palms to the sky)

Place your hands over one another, palms down, on your abdomen

Rest if you feel dizzy or lightheaded (this may occur if you are a beginner)

Envision a teardrop (below) formation or "fill a balloon" with each breath

Slow the breath down, 1 inhale = 2 exhales

Feel the belly and chest rise and fall with each breath

Tear Drop:
    Draw the breath in through the nose along the back of the throat and allow it to travel along the back of the esophagus down to the stomach (Lower Lobe). As it reaches the bottom of the stomach, it will flip up towards the belly button and gently push the belly button outward, toward the bottom of your rib cage (Middle Lobe). Towards the end of your inhale, the breath continues to travel on the front side of the chest plate, up through the front part of your chest and throat (Upper Lobe). The breath has taken on a tear drop formation, touching all three areas of Lobular breath.

Taking a deep, slow breath and visualizing this formation will aid in your success to breath during Yoga in a well focused manner. You will need to rely and use your breathe during more advanced poses and that visualization component is crucial to getting you through.

Yoga breathing will and can change your state of mind. More oxygen leading to the brain clears your mind and enables your attention span to be increased. You can create a better mind body connection, focus your attention on the postures and become aware of how they make your body feel. You will learn more about your body, what areas you can test and areas you are to hold back on. All this by simply learning how to control our breath by drawing it in slowly and deeply.

Has anyone heard from rgrsgrl in a while? I hope she's ok!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Has anyone heard from rgrsgrl in a while? I hope she's ok!
    Same here! Haven't seen her in the chat or around ABW in some time.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Will email her to make sure she is. Had received an email from her but can't remember exactly when it was. Not sure if it actually happened but she was thinking of getting a job and she was planning something else at the time, too. She was doing well at the time, tho. I'll be sure to email her and if she doesn't come here to post, I'll be back to post here to reassure everybody she's ok.

I'm answering myself again. lol Heard back from her and yeap, she's doin just fine. She's super busy tho and instead of the job she's a full time student. hmm not sure if that's in connection to her other plans or not. but she's doing well and very busy.

oops meant to comment last time, so real quick....
    thanks for all the yoga info..am about to start it so that's very helpful

Hmmm, 33,692 new posts. Wow I have some reading to do lol

Thanks purplebear for the email I have been so busy I totally lost track of time and how long it had been since I logged on. So how is everyone?? Still smoke free?

Me, yuppers no ciggies in a looooooong time. My lungs are great, almost off the steroids completely and I'm down about 15 lbs so far. After the bug biz sold my hubby went on the road as a pipeliner and is an engineer's apprentice. I started school full time for Finance/Management and Dr.Steph will be helping with grad school tuition. I'll be moving a couple counties away when she buys the practice she's at to be her manager.

I still have the affiliate bug and have been kicking around some ideas for new sites, but I'm trying to slow down enough to sit in my chair and really think them out....lol

Kahlua the reincarnated unicorn is fabulous! She's huge, sassy and will be headed off for training in May. We also have two new additions to the Island of Misfit Pets. We adopted 2 Amazon parrots from a friend. They haven't had much human interaction in about 7 years so are a handful but they are coming along nicely.

I finally got to go to NYC. I was only there for an afternoon, but it was awesome! Wish I would have had more time to grab a lunch with some ABW'ers I was in New Jersey for a weekend and we popped over to the city. OMG! The traffic!!! And I thought Columbus was bad when an OSU game let out

Ok, I'm done yapping. Now your turn, how is everyone??? Thanks for thinking of me I'll try to slow down now.....lol

Women with riding crops are 82% more likely to get their way
    I believe that.

Glad things are good for you.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Amy - glad you popped in - it's been a long time and we were worried. Sounds like life is hectic but headed in a good direction! Take care!

And don't forget to pop in and let us know how it's goind, OK?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Glad you quit, I've read that it takes 5 years for the lungs to turn pink again after one quits, so perhaps your breathing issue will improve over time.

My dad died when I was 8 from smoking related health issues, so I've never had the desire to start - I want to see my kids grow up.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Glad to hear you're doing well! I was wondering how you were doing when I realized you hadn't posted in quite a while.

Good luck with school! And check in with us once in a while. I think the consensus here is that we missed you!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek

My dad died when I was 8 from smoking related health issues
    I am so very sorry for your loss & glad you never started. My kids have been a huge motivation for me to quit =]

I feel loved and a little guilty for being so scatterbrained and busy. I never realized how much my hubby did around here until he was gone and I had to do everything myself!

I missed you guys!! There's so many intelligent people here at ABW I will definitely be asking ya'll for help on my homework

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Amy, I am so proud of your progress and you should be, too!

Good for you for sticking to your goals. The time away from the hubby must be hard, but it sounds like you're doing great.

Take care and continue to keep us posted.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread