ABW Ambassador
    Not sure if this is the right forum to post but I just read this at my cable company.

Are You Running a Server Without Even Knowing It?

To the users of: Aimster (Madster), Audiogalaxy Satellite, BearShare, DirectConnect, eDonkey2000, Gnotella, Gnucleus, Grokstar, GTK Gnutella, iMesh, Kazaa, LimeWire, Mactella, Morpheus, Phex, Qtella, Shareaza, SwapNut, WinMx and XoLoX.

You may be.

If you use one of these peer-to-peer file services without disabling the file sharing option, the whole Internet can have access to files on your hard drive. It can also lead to network problems that may result in your upstream speed being temporarily reduced to control the abuse.

Don't let that happen.

See http://security.uchicago.edu/peer-to...ileshare.shtml for easy-to-follow instructions for disabling file sharing for the peer-to-peer programs you're running.

Cazzie

Hmm, wonder how the parasites will get their programs installed on users pc's when all of these networks get shut down. I think this is great, block em at the end user. No one will install morpheus, et al if they can't get their "free" mp3's.

And to think people still feel compelled to download garbageware to avoid paying a fee despite the true consequences of their decision.

DesignerWiz
    http://DesignerWiz.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you use one of these peer-to-peer file services without disabling the file sharing option, the whole Internet can have access to files on your hard drive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was the idea behind file sharing... Why would this worry anybody using these programs?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I remember when I had my cable connection installed and I was signing all the papers, the tech guy told me it was a violation to use the modem/connection as a server. I suppose it was their way of having an out to shut you down if need be. Since some folks put of tens of thousands of files for swapping (pirated stuff). It's got to be a strain on their resources if even a couple of these guys land on their systems. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I've also been amazed at some of the unexpected programs that according to ZoneAlarm are trying to run as server. I will usually grant them Internet access but not server access, and they will still seem to function fine, but makes me wonder what they are trying to do.

@Joey,

The issue is whether *other* files besides those intended for sharing on your computer are accessible. I read an article in e-week once about this. A tech guy from research at HP was installing a P2P program for a family member. He realized that with the default settings of the program, other files were accessible besides the "My Music" or "My Picture" folders. So he did a little experiment with all the guys in the R&D department. He had all of them install P2P software to see if they would configure it probably so that files which most people consider sensitive and not want the whole world having access to were protected. Something like 3/4th of the people did not configure the software correctly, and these were people who would be considered computer knowledgable. Of course, if you don't have problems with people being able to see and download, say your Quicken files, then it isn't a problem. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

FYI

It's not just the issue of file sharing programs. Many to most people have file sharing enabled on their Windows computers.

Current reports claim that an unprotected windows computer on a DSL or Cable line will be compromised within 24 hours. (In other words, get a firewall, router, or internet security software.)

But if you need any other reasons to not run file sharing programs, they are the biggest culprit we find for transfer of virus, the failure of internet connections, and computers becoming pathetically slow.

I work with 10 other technicians, and we all hate finding these programs on computers, and promptly remove them, then run removal utilities, to purge them from the systems.

Looks to me like the bigger problem is the fortune in bandwidth that file sharing is causing companies like the one that posted this.

I'd be interested to see which P2P program that tech guy installed. I dont believe I've seen any major P2P programs that by default, share beyond the "Shared" folder...

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread